1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling awkward around people I've come out to

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lostlifeguard, Apr 18, 2013.

1. lostlifeguard

So far I've come out to 2 of my friends, one a while ago, and one yesterday. I came out to the first in December, and the second one yesterday. My problem is, I feel really awkward and uncomfortable hanging out with them one on one now. Any advice on what to do about this?

I think my main concern is that I don't really want to talk about it, because that makes me uncomfortable. I guess I really just need to get used to it though so I don't drift away from them.

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well youre the same person to them like before since they still love you.Now they know you better,i told my mom i was gay and she accepted it,and well i still feel somehow akward with her now,but since she is helping by not talking about it or being different then everything is fine,and it helps alot.So if your friends keep talking to you and acting like before,i think there is no worry about it,it will pass soon.

3. funnylion

funnylion Guest

I think that's the best situation. If your friends don't bring it up then, to them, the fact that you're gay is not anything to worry about. If they haven't been acting weird around you then I don't think you have any reason to (fear) acting strange around them.

4. I feel the same way, I have no reason to feel awkward because they don't bring it up much and they don't mind but I still feel awkward...

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is where projecting confidence is important, especially when you will inevitably have discussions around relationships.

Others here at EC mentioned how alone they feel when their straight friends talk about their "conquests", or love lives. I think it is important, early on, to talk about your own relationships to the same or lesser extent. I have written elsewhere that the gayness of you becomes real the moment you have found someone, and it will be much more real to your friends.

You can "be discreet" when that happens or you can make sure that your voice is heard.

6. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Many gay people find the subject of homosexuality awkward and uncomfortable, especially when they have only just came out, and that is completely normal. As you and your friends come to terms with who you are, it will seem a less awkward topic to bring up. If your friends are true friends, and they are content with who you are, then they will understand, and they will always be content and fine if you want to talk about homosexuality with them, even if they are straight themselves. Also, if your friends are understanding they should be fine with talking about boys you feel attracted to, I like a boy in my school, and talk about him to my friends all the time, and they are completely happy with it, they even often bring up the subject themselves.

You might feel awkward because you feel attracted to one of them and you think that they know. Or you think that they think that you fancy one of them when you don't. Or you are uncomfortable because there is a slightly higher chance you will feel attracted to one of them.

Hope this helps, and don't worry, bring up the subject every now and then, they will understand.

7. thejinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt the same way after I came out. I was with someone and I knew my friends and family knew I was in a relationship but I still couldn't say to people I have a girlfriend. It's only when we broke up I was so upset about it that I had to talk to my friends and family about it. I don't know what I was expecting them to react like but they just treated it like a normal break up and it made me feel pretty stupid for not being more open and honest the whole time.

8. Nyanko

While I was feeling awkward around my friends after coming out to them, they told me all they could see was me becoming more confident and comfortable with myself. I guess that awkward feeling was just me coming out of my shell more but I didn't notice it.

It just takes more time to get used to when you come out; even if you've told 1000 people, adding another to the bunch might make you feel awkward around them, because they now know something about you that could bring up some possible awkward conversations. But you can't say we've never had one in our lives, right?

9. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me, up until now since coming out to my closest friends (all straight), I still feel awkward sometimes although they are happy for me, especially the girls (they are excited of the idea of having a friend who might arrange double date and might marry another guy and might adopt a baby, blah >.>).

We don't talk about how am I doing or anything related to homosexuality and we treat each other as if nothing happened that day, unless I bring it up as they promised to support me. It is good, but at the same time I think I'm still sometimes awkward because in my mind before coming out I expected them to be "less accepting of me". I don't know :S