1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum keeps hinting?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tryhtwfr, Apr 19, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

I don't really know but my mum keeps saying that I learn these new antics and crazy ideas off girls in my school.. For example:

• If I start talking about spot creams and about my face then she would say 'you hang around too many girls and stuff'.

[*]Also, when I would talk about going to boots for shampoo or hairspray, she says 'Oh did a girl tell you to get this and stuff?'.

[*]Another one is if I start putting a new cream on my face or a new remedy I found online to get rid of a spot, she says 'what girl taught you how to do this?'.

[*]Another thing is when I talk on the phone she goes 'You talk so rudely with attitude like a girl..'.

[*]Another thing she would say when I'm watching a reality show like Keeping up with the Kardshians, she would say 'why does this interest you, you hang around too many girls which is why you watch this stuff'.

[*] Whenever I'm on the phone talking about revision with fellow friends which I only do once every month, she would say 'You should stop talking to girls, they are bad influences and cause so much drama/bitchiness' but when my brother is on the phone to his girlfriend 24/7 every day and night, nothing is said.

[*]Whenever I'm cooking food for a healthier diet or tell her not to touch my stove or what I'm cooking, she goes 'If my family saw this kind of behaviour, my nose would be cut off' - In other words, if her family were to see the stuff I do like cooking for example then her family would give her grief or look down upon her?

I don't know if she suspects that I am gay because of my brothers constantly calling me a faggot because if she did then I'm sure she would be more concerned and hateful towards me. I just think I have revealed too much to my family by becoming too comfortable with my sexuality thanks to EC (&&&) but I don't know what to do or how to approach it as my family are strict Muslims. In addition, I don't recall any 'coming out stories' which included both of these words together : success and Muslim - So I'm quite hesitant of If I EVER will come out..

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My guess is she suspects but is in denial. The particular behavior you describe... constantly berating behaviors that appear feminine... is pretty consistent with parents who fear their child is gay but don't want to admit/accept/acknowledge it.

The good news is, it's already in her awareness, at least subconsciously, so when you do decide to come out... she will likely already have processed and thought about it.

Probably a good idea to wait awhile. While it's true that Muslim families are generally less accepting than many others (but probably not any less accepting than fundamentalist Christian families)... there are stories out there of Muslims who successfully came out and (generally after a bunch of heartache) were accepted by their families. So you may have to be patient and be in a place where you're reasonably self-sufficient before you can come out to them... but I think you'll want to do that eventually.

3. tryhtwfr

I don't want to sound like an ignorant shit but the idea of having feminine antics doesn't really go well with me. I don't know if its just me but I don't really like the fact that my things/stuff I'm into is seen as feminine, I mean I regarded it as hetrosexual stuff if that makes sense or was that me trying to cover the fact up that it is feminine? Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is that the whole idea of femimine boys really doesn't sit well with how iI am, I think that's why I have no confidence?

And if my mum suspected it, I thought I would be in a lot more deep shit because I don't know if she is in denial or if she's just brushing it off like nothing which has me confused, does she know or not?

4. Sunshine Cries

Given that your brother is on the phone with his girlfriend A LOT but doesn't trust you around girls, I have two guesses as to what's going on with her perception of you. She probably thinks you're gay, and, as previously stated, is in denial.

I also am maybe guessing that she thinks you could be sleeping around, but this could be the viewing standpoint of a Greek girl raised in a more Greek family. Greeks think that if you're doing anything remotely suspicious, you must be a slut. :/

If you want to test the waters, to see how she'll react, just bring up something relating to LGBT rights. Same-sex marriage, parades, ANYTHING that's relevant right now. Then, judge her, and the rest of your family's, reaction. You can probably gauge their reaction to you coming out from that.

I've heard this tip a lot: if you'll get kicked out, DON'T. COME. OUT. It's usually too dangerous to take that kind of path, because there's a very big chance that you'll get cut off, both in a monetary and family sense.

Whatever you do, you are strong, brave, and fabulously amazing. And NOTHING will bring you down. Keep kicking.

~Sunshine