1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I accidentally found out my dad is bi

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by confusedaughter, Apr 19, 2013.

1. confusedaughter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey! I'm a 21 year old straight female and today as I was doing some informal research on my family history I came across a forum that my dad is apart of. In this forum he admits to being bisexual. He is married to his second wife now with three kids, me being the oldest.

I don't know how to go about holding on to this information. According to the forum my stepmother knows and is supportive. I just feel a little hurt that he hasn't told me, even though I understand that maybe it was never the right time for him to do so. However, now that I know should I bring it up with him? Or just wait when he tells me, if he tells me.

Again I really don't know about these sort of dynamics, is it normal for parents not to tell their children about their sexual orientations? Please help!

2. stumble along

I wouldn't bring it up, if anything I would tell him that he can tell you anything because you're his daughter no matter what, and maybe casually mention the family research.

If he wants to tell you thats his decision, if he doesnt that's also his devision.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree: it's his decision. The same situation exists if reversed: some parents have gone nearly crazy waiting for years knowing their child is LGBT, but having to wait for him or her to announce the fact.

You might (casually) indicate an acceptance of LGBT.

4. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Maybe bring something LGBT related in a conversation, and see how he reacts. :slight_smile: