1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Female Friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Revomantic, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Revomantic

Revomantic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG, right? A gay man who can't seem to make friends with women?

I recently read a few threads by some guys saying they only have female friends and no guy friends at all. I have the opposite problem. A lot of my good friends are men (straight men at that!) and we bond over our love of sports, video games, and rock music. It's really just the typical straight guy friendships, but I'm gay, and no one seems to mind that.

Anyway.

For the life of me I have the hardest time connecting with women. Let me lay a little background here. My college years were spent seeing this scary femi nazi groups spewing hate for the patriarchy, the glass ceiling, in general, all men. Even the girls I knew who were part of that group weren't THAT way towards me, but still had this "women are always better" attitude. For a group wanting equality, they sure seemed to think they were superior.

A local business in my college's town I frequented quite often was pretty much staffed by some hardcore man-bashing lesbians. Men were NOT welcomed at this place and you would be snubbed if you had a Y chromosome.

Even though in the last year I have moved almost a thousand miles away from home and started a new life, I still feel uncomfortable around women in general and when a co-worker invited me to have some after work drinks with her and her girlfriend a few weeks back I had this total panic attack over it and had to back out. This lady works right alongside me and has always treated me with respect and been very cool, but I have this ridiculous fear her girlfriend is going to be this crazy bitch to me.

Please, I don't want to offend any ladies or ladies who fancy ladies, I'm just getting this out. Honestly, I wish I had more female friends and could bond more with my fellow gays.