1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mstg74, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hi everyone,

I need a tad bit of advice. I just recently met somebody who is as crazy about me as I am about him. Our relationship has been going quite well. We have advanced, he came to the point where he told me he loved me, and it's true. Everything perfect, like it should be, until the other day.

The other day we kissed, and, I tasted a very faint taste of nicotine. I hate smoking. It's unhealthy; it's destructive; it's disrespectful to others; proven to cause cancer; and I have just lost MULTIPLE family members to this disgusting the disease. The ones I havent lost finally saw the light after 40 years and quit.

So I asked him .... if he smoked. He said yes, socially. I had never seen him smoke but I had smelt it a few times, but hey, figured it could be someone else near him smoking. I mentioned my strong dismay for this activity.

We didn't talk about it since, he seemed sad when I mentioned it. Today he uploaded some pictures online and sent them to me and in one of them he is smoking, I really was not happy to see it. In fact it was heartbreaking. I really care about him but there is 0 chance I will ever accept him as is.

If I tell him I want to break up over this; he will swear he will quit etc. I know him. However, I never ever want to change somebody. If he likes to smoke thats his business and I hope he continues to enjoy it; but I can't be part of it. Problem is that I love him a lot and it's very depressing. I know he can't just quit; it's a disease and an addiction and he would be setup to fail if he told me he would quit.

So... I am going to break it off I guess. I am jus not sure what to tell him. I don't want him to ever try to change for me; I don't want him to feel bad for who he is or what he does. He is an amazing person and I am sure he will meet somebody else who shares that in common with him (smoking) and hopefully they will be happy, I am just not that person.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a good way to tell him this without hurting him? or how to proceed?

Thanks

P.S. Please spare me the "if you really loved him". Live my life, lose your close family because of the sick act of smoking; have someone die in front of you of cancer and tell you they wish they'd never ever touched a smoke and then judge. Smoking is not acceptable; it claims lives and you can't expect a non-smoker to look at smoking properly; if I told you to do something that cuts 20 years off your life just because, would you? Who wants a partner who dies of cancer 20 years before they die.

2. catatonie

If you tell him you're going to break up with him because you can't stand his smoking he's going to try to quit anyway as if you gave him the ultimatum. So, you get what you want either way. Congrats?

3. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    catatonie - thanks for the input but thats the point. I am not a typical arse. I love him; i don't want him to try to change for anyone. I dont want to tell him it's because of that because I dont want him to try to change. And it's not my job to give him an ultimatum... I wish; but it'd be wrong. He is his own person; I can't change that.

4. catatonie

It's not incredibly hard to go from "social" smoking to no smoking. Have you talked to him about it at all, to see if he has any intention of quitting?

Short of telling him that's the reason, you're either going to have to lie, or just break up with him without providing any explanation.

5. robclem21

Why are you against helping him quit smoking. There are ways of helping him quit without giving him an ultimatum. If you really love him as you say you do, then you should want to help him live a healthy lifestyle.

There is a big difference between changing someones personality and changing a bad habit. Making someone change their personality (melodramatic, needy, stubborn, etc) is much different than offering to help someone quit smoking or drinking or something else that is a positive life change.

If he is incapable of quitting, then it is a different story and something you need to consider more deeply, but for now, I think telling him how much it bothers you and maybe helping him quit it is a better option than either of the two you have listed above.

6. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thank you both. I have not considered it because I am so against... trying to change people. My ex says that I was an arse and I tried to change him (over his INSANE drinking habit which lead to liver damage). Even though it was a healthy thing; I got called the bad guy for trying to change what he likes.

I would never want to do that to someone I love. I have not discussed it with him in detail because he seemed upset at my disapproval but sad upset. But I know a lot of smokers and they truly tell me that quitting isn't as it seems; it's much harder.

I don't want him to agree and then not be able to and relapse and end up lying to me about it and then really hurting our relationship. Plus; maybe it's something he likes to do; what kind of guy would I be if I am the guy who takes away something he likes to do or coaxes him into it?

7. Hefiel

If he doesn't smoke when he's with you, then his level of addiction probably isn't very high, and should not be too hard of a habit to get rid of. It's a lot more difficult for chronic smokers though.

Try to talk to him again about possibly stopping smoking, pressing that you're not comfortable with it and that it bothers you to taste tobacco when you kiss him, or smell it when you hug him. At least that's how I'd go about it.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I applaud you for setting a firm boundary about smoking. It would be a dealbreaker for me as well.

That said... if you are really both equally into each other, is it not a little bit controlling for you to say, in essence, "I love you very much, there's this one thing I don't like, but I'm not interested in having you change it; I've already made up my mind that it's over"?

I think you could easily talk to him and frame this in a way where it really is his choice: Something like "I like you, but I'm absolutely adamantly, and unnegotiably opposed to smoking and all that it represents. I don't want to ask you to change, so I'm choosing to end the relationship. But if smoking isn't important to you, and you can commit to never, ever smoking again, under any circumstances, and this is something that you are choosing to do, rather than doing it for me, then we can talk."

ALso, for the record, about 95% of people who "smoke socially" become addicted smokers (typically pack-a-day or more) within 3 years of starting being a "social smoker." And some 70% of those, in spite of trying to quit, remained smokers 10 years later. This data based on a very large study published in Nature (respected British medical journal) some years back. So your concerns are quite warranted.

9. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thank you both, Chip good information. Exactly my fear. As far as I see it, it's a social thing right now. I have been around him 6+ hours and he never as much as mentioned smoking or anything. We have even been in places where other people smoke. So I have to imagine at this stage he is not a chronic smoker.

But ... as the information suggest; and what I have seen, social turns to chronic very quickly; especially when stress levels get high and we all know, sometimes relationships cause stress.

I don't think it's irrational to tell him, I am just worried I am going to sound like a horrible person. I don't want to make him sad; much less cry or worse. I know he feels very deeply for me, he has even gone as far as to tell me I am his first serious relationship. I feel like I am going to end up being some horrible person because of this.

10. mojoe

You do have options here. First off you shouldn't feel like a horrible person, you don't like him smoking because you care about him. You are a good person that genuinely cares about him. That said, however, I think it would be quite cold of you to just dump him without an explanation, or even worse a lie. I agree with the others that you should probably frame the discussion as a choice for him.

I will try to say this as lightly as possible. Your decision to just end it does seem a little harsh. If his habit is that big of a deal and you both truly love each other, I would think there has to be a way to work through this. Now I understand your distaste for smoking and I'm sorry to hear about your family, but if he makes it a point to not smoke in your presence is it that big of a deal? If he spent a lot of time in the sun (increased risk of skin cancer) or ate a lot of deep fried food (increased risk of colon cancer), would you feel the same way? If he worked a dangerous job that put his life at risk every day would you feel the same? I guess I'm just wondering if it really is his health you are concerned with, or if it is just his smoking.

11. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    as a smoker myself i'd be a bit pissed off ....if you cant accept it then let him go... or he will let you go...

but then he's a social smoker so he might quit for you if he does "love you"
    me personally i'd walk out if i was given that ultimatium

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't speak for anyone else, but a smoker who did not smoke in my presence would still be a dealbreaker. First, it won't remain that way, at least statistically. Second, their clothes, and their body, reek of smoke even hours after the fact and a nonsmoker can tell.

As for mstg74: You need to worry less about how others view you. You aren't a horrible person because you don't want to date a smoker. Most nonsmokers feel the same way.

As for making him sad... you'd make him a lot sadder by saying "I'm outta here and there's nothing you can do to change that" than by saying "This is a dealbreaker for me so you need to choose which is more important." That isn't controlling or manipulative; you're simply saying something truthful, and letting him make a choice.

If you decide to do that, and he decides to quit... make it clear that you don't want any drama or hiding of anything, so if he starts smoking again, it will just be over and that will be that. If he's really a "social smoker" then it should not be a very big deal... and most likely, he'll thank you in the long run.

13. FruitFly

The way I'm reading this is that this is someone you've met fairly recently, and things have advanced quickly to the point where you're heavily emotionally involved before finding out that he has that one habit you cannot tolerate in a relationship. This is, unfortunately, one of the pitfalls of falling madly, truly, deeply for someone within a relatively short period of time; eventually you start to find out little things that can cause cracks in the relationship.

Depending on how long you mean by relatively recently you may not have experienced the full extent of his smoking habit; I lived with someone who smoked two packs a day "socially" yet never once smoked in front of me. It was not that his addiction was any less than someone who chain smoked constantly, but simply that he had come to associate certain situations with smoking and as such smoked in those situations. For him social smoking was a habit that was hard to break, just as hard as a chain smoker and in many ways harder as those in the social situations he smoked in were not able to provide him the support he needed when temptation rose its head. My sister smokes, but never at home. Her clothes smell of smoke, and while not as strong as some of the chain smokers I know the faint smell of smoke is enough for a nonsmoker such as myself to find it lingers in the nostrils.

As smoking was so intertwined with being social he found it difficult to break; he'd go out with friends, and if he did not smoke he found himself missing out on the social aspect of smoking as he did not feel comfortable being in those situations without a cigarette. It is often not as simple as simply giving up social smoking, but the ease at which one stops smoking does come down to the individual. Some can give up from chain smoking 50 a day without a second glance, others struggle in giving up their 3 a day habit. It's all about getting to know the person who smokes and whether they genuinely want to give up.

He seemed sad when you mentioned your disapproval of smoking, and I think that's something worth talking about. I'm not sure I agree with the whole "you need to decide what is more important" stance, mostly because as many negatives as smoking has and as against it as someone may be it is a stance I find slightly unfair for the non-smoker to make. You can have all these wonderful reasons for not wanting your partner to smoke, science and everything to back you up, but at the end of the day it is their personal choice just as it is your personal choice not to smoke.

Discussing your thoughts on smoking, finding out theirs, and explaining that your beliefs and views on smoking make you unable to continue a relationship with someone who smokes, is something I'd encourage. Don't worry about making him sad or making him cry, don't lecture him or launch into statistics about death and disease, just tell him how you feel about this and why it is so important to you. I would be cautious given that this is his first serious relationship and people can make all sorts of promises to keep one going, but that is why it is important to be fair.

Discuss your stance, be open with him, but I'd avoid anything that sounded like you were giving him a choice between you or smoking. Just discuss it, listen to his views, and see where you go.

14. photoguy93

Smoking is a huge turn off to me. You are very right - it's disgusting and horrible for your health.

That being said, you have someone who could potentially be a wonderful connection for you. As a member of the Feels-Like-I'll-Be-Single-Forever Club, I would really look at this person and think twice about smoking. NOW, it's always a two way street. I think your best bet would be to be honest. Hello - you've had a really bad time with smoking! You have seen what it can do, and that really scares you...as it should.

I think this conversation can fit with anything and anyone - if someone eats too much or any other type of un-healthy practice.

You could suggest that he quits, or if it comes to it, maybe he will just have to do it when you aren't going to be around. Maybe he will eventually see that you matter more, and he will change.

The other part, though, is that maybe you can take this as a learning tool for yourself. Instead of throwing away a potential relationship over this (I about crapped when I read you were going to end it. SEND THIS PERSON MY WAY, THEN!) maybe you need to reevaluate how you handle what really matters. Be up front with people?

Best of luck!

15. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks everyone. Just want to update.

Like the usual fool I am; I went in and told him I think we should break up. It's a big deal for me. He was not amused. My fault. So we got to talking about why and I discussed it with him.

He told me that I was irrational, etc. His smoking habit is not something he likes anyway. He told me had had quit a few times; but it didn't hold up; but if I helped him out he would be able to do it. Also he mentioned that he already knew I wasn't amused and already had not smoked in 4 days. I actually believe him because the last 4 days I could tell he had not. So turns out he already planned to quit anyway.

Guess I was just an idiot; talking things out as you all mentioned turned out to be the solution. After I created an aggressive conversion; he said this,

"You are right; I hate the habit; it needs to stop but your approach sucks. You shouldn't walk in and just kill me; we have to talk about things first."

He is reasonable.

Thanks to everyone here, anyone else who ends up in this situation... don't assume the other person won't be reasonable.

16. Spectre

Oh dear, I wish I had caught this post sooner. :eek:

I have several friends that are trying to quit smoking, and sometimes it can be a very long and arduous process. Unfortunately for them, they were introduced to cigarettes at a young age, and long standing addictions can be difficult to break, but not impossible. They both consider smoking a horrible habit, and it's just that - a habit. Changing a habit is a lot different than changing a person. I don't intrinsically connect smoking to who someone is as a person, so I wouldn't feel poorly when asking them to quit. You're not a bad person for wanting him to be healthy; in fact it's quite the opposite.

One thing to note is that, depending on the person and severity of their addiction, it is not uncommon for "recovering" smokers to fall off the wagon every now and then. For example, my friend's mom quit smoking over ~30 years ago, and she has said that she's only slipped a few times in all those years. She always feels an urge to light up when others are smoking (I don't know if nicotine supplements help with this), but resists. Speaking of which, she was given an ultimatum by her husband, and they've been together for a long time. While it worked for him, I disagree with ultimatims in general.

As you said, he wants to stop, but he needs help. The goal now is to praise progress. When he hasn't smoked for days you can throw in some compliments e.g. "you smell/taste so good". When he slips up you can tell him he smells awful and tastes like an ash tray :icon_bigg. Just know that as long as he is making an honest effort, that's all you should ask for.

PS: Don't let him smoke around you :smilewave

17. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Spectre - thank you! Others had given me reasonable advice; I am just ridiculous. I handled it all wrong.

Anyway; he already noticed I didn't like it without me saying it and he already wanted to quit, I understand his situation; I just get dramatic about the topic; have lost too many people in my life and had them tell me in the end they wish they had never touched a cigarette. So I am not a big fan.

He has been going strong so far, I will remind to be positive with him and praise. Good tips on that.

He never has smoked around me; I never even seen him smoke really. I assume he somehow magically knew I didn't like it.

18. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... although you may not have chosen the best way to introduce it, at least you had the discussion and that's the important part.

But... one huge red flag: "Social smoking" and "tried to quit multiple times and failed" don't go together. So he's an addicted smoker, not a social smoker. And as such, he needs to understand the biology behind smoking as well as the psychology. There's a physical addiction and there's a psychological addiction. Every time one smokes a cigarette, receptors are created in the body to absorb the nicotine, and once created, there is no way to get rid of them; they just stay there forever. Eventually, when you stop smoking, the receptors inactivate which is why the craving eventually goes away. But what he needs to understand is that, for an addicted smoker, one single cigarette, even 20 years after he's quit, will reactivate all of the receptors and restart the cravings just as though he'd never quit. I've found that explaining this to people helps them to understand the process and bypass the "Oh, I can just have one" idea.

The psychological piece is dealing with the benefits he gets from smoking, and finding alternatives that replace the activity of smoking. That, too, is important.

And it's absolutely crucial that the two of you have a conversation about honesty and that he's clear that he never lies to you about smoking, and tells you if he's "falling off the wagon." Otherwise, there won't be authenticity in the relationship and it will fail. If he's honest with you, and he's serious... then he can definitely kick the habit.

Personally, it's very unlikely I'd get involved with someone who smoked for the simple reason that quitting is really hard, and staying quit is also really hard. But for someone who was really committed to it, I might consider it.

19. tulman

I'd be afraid of blowing lunch all over him when the image of my tongue buried in a full ash tray popped in to my head.

20. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Haha @ tulman - amen

Chip - Thanks for the input. My thinking is similar. I am so back and forth over this. If I didn't love him as much as I did; I'd of just said screw it. Unfortunately our relationship is just long enough to the point where real feelings are involved; I never really noticed he smoked that much ... because it never ever happened around me, before he saw me, etc.

As you mention; social is not a good word. He is a smoker. I get that. We talk about it; I let him know today I support him but it's gotta go and a relapse won't be tolerated. He told me he only smoked 2 cigarettes today and yesterday and that is a major improvement, he also said he is devoted to this for me and him. He says his plan is to drop to 1 by the end of the week and then go down to electronic cigarettes as an intermediate step.

He came up with that on his own and he seems sincere. I can tolerate electronic cigarettes for the mean time; they are much less gross and less offensive but still not good.

He says he plans to drop down to nothing shortly. I believe him. I am going to give him a chance. If he relapses that will be the end of it for me. I will explain to him about receptors and "just one".

Thank you.