1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crushing on straight friend, friends say its not fair for him to not know

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Grendel, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Grendel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So it has been a very long time since I've been on this site, which in my opinion is a good thing. (It means you guys helped me get past needing to ask questions :thumbsup: ). General background is that I initially was very nervous to come out to people and worried about them accepting me. At this point I've moved past that thanks to your encouragment and I no longer feel bad about being gay in anyway, again kudos to you all. But since coming out to most of my friends I have learned that my "best friend" that I am crazy about is straight. I am sure you all know the feeling:bang:. Despite this unfortunate circumstance I did come out to him in hopes that he would be gay and reciprocate the event, no such luck. Instead of returning my coming out with his own he was just very supportive of me and set one condition: "as long as you don't try to mess around with me I could care less if you are gay". So, no matter how dissappointing or frustrating it has been, I have done my best to comply with his one request. Until this saturday things were going fine but last weekend my group of friends (crush included) decided to get festive for the 20th. I hadn't done any drugs in quite a while so I kind of freaked out and my crush took me over to the side of the group, held my hand and rocked me until i started to snap out of it almost an hour later. Now i feel like i went against his one request and feel awful for letting him do that not knowing how much i enjoyed him doing it. All my friends that were there know I have a really intense thing for him and were supposedly trying to get me to stop cuddling with him. Since Saturday about half a dozen of the people there have been telling me that it isnt fair that I dont tell him how I feel because it keeps him in the dark and its unfair that he is put in situations like saturday.
    Ignoring this past weekend there have been other instances where I tell other people things but dont tell him because I dont want him making connections and figuring out i like him. In other words, this weekend was no an isolated event where him knowing would change his involvment in the situation. As a result of events like this my friends have said that I can:
    a. tell him myself
    b. they will tell him if i don't because it is unfair for him to unknowingly do things with someone that is interpretting them in a different light
    c. get over him to avoid the problem.

now, i don't have any clue what to do. I have tried getting over him but i can't. I know he is straight and I know it will never happen but I am the only gay kid at my school that me or any of my friends know of so hoping that my crush is gay, while being counterproductive, gives me a sense of not being isolated which im sure you all can understand. I could let them tell him but that would almost gaurantee a negative response from him like i was hiding it on purpose to decieve him. Or i could tell him myself. I have no idea how he would react but I'm sure it would be better than if someone else told him. I'm just so lost because I still want to be friends with him but I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable to the point that he stops hanging out with me. He is shy and he really only hangs out with the people I hang out with so if he stops hanging around me he is just going to end up at home alone. I just want a way to make this situation resolve itself in his best interest because I feel like a lot of this could have been avoided if I hadn't let my crush on him get so bad. It's my problem not his. How should I deal with this, will telling him stop him from doing the things that keep me hoping? will it help me get over it. Should i just keep my distance and let my friends tell him and talk to him about it? Should i just pretend I got over him?

-as per-usual I apologize for my poorly constructed thought process and grammatical execution.

2. Xerevantes21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so first off, I just wanna say, I was in this exact same boat about a couple weeks ago, so I know EXACTLY how you feel.
    Alright, I'm seriously going to disregard choice c, because, unless you stop seeing him all together, it'll be too difficult and you obviously value your friendship a lot.
    I personally say choice a, and my main reasoning behind is that that you're stuck at an ultimatum (it's either you tell him, or your friends) and things like your feelings should be something that you get to reveal, not your friends. And seriously, the feeling you have right now is just about the worst part.
    I'm sure you're experiencing the sleepless nights where you imagine what life would be like with him and you feel elated for awhile until the cold truth of your reality hits you.
    But trust me, when you tell him, no matter what answer you might get, you can at least obtain some sort of finality in the issue. Treat this as something you need to get off your chest, for yourself, because coping with a bad truth is much easier to get over than constantly living in a suspended possibility. If he says, yes, then great for you! But if he doesn't, then that at least gives you the opportunity to move on with your life and eventually meet that special guy.
    I really hope the best for you, and this is simply what I think is the most appropriate for the situation.
    (and excuse my literary transgressions as well, I'm a messy typer)

3. PeteNJ

b/c he's such a good friend, you can probably talk with him about the party and thank him for being there for you. (I wouldn't read more into it, than he was being a damn good friend). Since he's already told you the boundaries - I'm not so sure its a good idea to try and cross them. But you can always lead a little, saying something like -- you know, my perfect boyfriend would be someone just like you -- now I got to find him. You've either given him something to think about or maybe he'll say he knows a guy for you!

Do you have a good gaydar (I don't) -- I have a couple of gay friends who say they are always right about men. But even if you are right, that doesn't mean he's ready to accept himself.

4. ezkill

It's not fair to him? I'm sorry but that's crap. Your feelings belong to you, not your friends. If you are damned no matter what, I'd suggest telling him yourself. Otherwise try explaining how it's not fair to make you spill the guts and ruin a friendship. I'm sorry but people have to get over the fact that there are others out there who like them and enjoy their physical company without them knowing. It's no one's business who you have a crush on unless you make it their business. I'd maybe try to nicely explain this to your friends and to tell them it's your issue to deal with, and not theirs. Friends can be very over zealous sometimes.