1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asked to be part of a (lesbian) friend's wedding

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by josh9623, Apr 23, 2013.

1. josh9623

so my friend asked me today if i wanted to be a part of her wedding. while i would like to i don't really know if i would be able to, she asked me what i would want to do and kinda suggested that i be her best man since i'm her best guyfriend. but i don't know how my parents would feel about it, or how to bring it up. my dad knows that she (lets call her E) and her girlfriend (L) are in a relationship, but i don't think my mom does. E & L are also trying to decide if it will be a ceremony for a civil union or go out of state to actually get married (gay marriage not legal in FL :dry:slight_smile: so especially if they go out of state it will be an issue. does anyone have any advice on what to do here? i told E that i would think about it and she kinda guessed that my parents were part of the reason. so any advice welcome.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's nearby, there's no big deal - just tell your parents you're going to a big party with E & L. (Since that's technically what it is, right?) If it's out of state, though, you'll have to decide whether you want to approach your parents about it. If you think it's going to be problematic, you can certainly tell E & L that having the wedding out-of-state would make it difficult for you. I'm sure they'd understand.

Lex

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would your parents react if E & L had some kind of get-together out of state and invited you there? Would they think that was odd?

I'm just wondering if you could not tell your parents what it's about, and just that you're going on a trip with E & L to another state.