1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping an ex as a friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LibraryKitten, Apr 27, 2013.

1. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm new around EC. =) This is probably going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance, and I'll try not to add too many personal details. I'd really appreciate some outside perspective on this... There is a tl;dr section at the bottom, too, just in case.

I'm a freshman in college, about to finish the school year. Last semester, I started the year with the intention of focusing on my studies, without planning on getting involved in any romance. But about halfway through the semester, one of my close college friends told me he liked me, and I thought he was a sweet guy, so I agreed to date him. Once I let myself really look at him, I fell for him hard, and quickly. He seemed like such a sweet, deep guy.

He was my first serious relationship, and what I felt for him was the deepest connection I have ever felt with another human being, and it caught me by surprise. So by the end of the first semester (during finals week, I should add... I'm really not proud of that, haha) I gave him my virginity. He was always more physically expressive than I was, and that was what he wanted, so I wanted him to have it. I never let him know it, but giving him that part of me was a particularly big deal for me, because I have some deep trust issues.

I never really enjoyed it much, until the last night before winter break, when I was finally able to relax with him (despite the fact that he was drunk, which upset me). But just as I was about to leave for my dorm, he told me that his hall mates called me his "fuck buddy." At this point in our relationship, neither of us was entirely sure if the other person wanted more than a friends with benefits relationship, but I knew I definitely wanted a deep, caring relationship, and the thought of a friends with benefits relationship with him was not appealing at all. I told him that it seemed like they were right, but that I hoped we had something deeper than that. He then basically told me that the night had just been a booty call, and then during break, we had little to no contact. I was so hurt and confused... I talked to a close mutual friend about it, and she said it seemed like he didn't want that kind of relationship either.

But then when we got back from break, he came out to me and it all made sense. I was the first person he came out to. And the way he told me was so sweet, again, and I just wanted to be there for him as a really close friend, even though it really hurt. And through the process of supporting him as he came out to the rest of our friend group, it forced me to stop ignoring the part of me that has always known that I am not completely straight, either.

So you would think that after such an intense relationship, we'd be the best of friends, right? But instead, it's been really off and on. We were best friends for a few weeks, but then I'd start to feel used again, and back off, but I still love him, so I'd come back and he'd use me some more. Well, it's the last few weeks of the second semester, and I need to be focusing on finals again, but I'm too stressed out from this broken relationship. And I can't tell if my strong preference for women is because I'm actually lesbian, not bi, or if it's because of so much hurting coming from this recent breakup.

I've essentially cut him out of my life now, deleted his number from my phone and stopped talking to him, but it's really difficult because we share the same group of close friends, so we keep running into each other, every day. Meanwhile I'm not out to anyone except him and three other really close friends, and I'm trying to keep our mutual friends out of this split, and it's taking its toll on me. It should be easier to avoid him next year because I'll be living on campus, and he'll be off campus, but it still really hurts, because as much as I don't want him to keep using me selfishly, I still love him, and I can't completely convince myself that I want to cut him from my life, even though logically it's the best for both of us (or is it?).

tl;dr: I'm hopelessly confused about the place my ex should take in my life, and about my orientation.

2. LD579

It's not entirely clear here... You keep saying that you feel 'used'. Why? Have you been having sex with him after he came out to you? I'd assume, if so, that the reason you're feeling used is because of that. If you two have been having sex with each other, it really isn't healthy for either of you (I assume he identifies as gay, not bisexual, from the tone of your post). For you and him, it'd be like clinging to something that is akin to an illusion.

I would not stress about your attractions to others. Some find that their preferences moderately change as time passes, only to moderately change again. I don't believe it's likely for someone who likes guys and girls to suddenly experience a true, complete lack of attraction to one of them. I cannot say, though, for you. If you're uncertain as to whether you like guys or not, it's understandable. This guy's behaviour has been detrimental to you, even if he didn't mean for it to be. Just know that not all guys are like that. As time passes, you'll likely be more able to have an objective view of your attractions. Don't worry about it for now, though, just focus on your finals as they're very important! You don't want the semester to go to waste because of this guy.

If you and him have been having sex, that can also be a problem for you and your finals as it can be very distracting. If you and him have not been having sex, then... You should probably consciously spend some time away from him. It may be difficult, as you share mutual friends, but... It sounds like it may do you both some good, perhaps.

I don't know if you should cut this guy out of your life completely... It may be too soon to say something like that. As time passes between you both, you may find that he starts to stabilize and such, and with time comes healing, of course. In the meantime, if he has been using you for sex, you have to put a foot down and tell him that you don't want to do this anymore.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree with Luthan, if you were still having sex with him after he came out, then that's why you're feeling the way that you do. I know what it's like feeling used, even though I was the one who was supposedly trying to use men to figure out my feelings. And it came back to bite in the butt when I started dating a girl who I thought was gay. I'd have to admit that since I've been with a woman only, I never get that feeling like I'm being used like with a man.

And if your friend is indeed gay, then perhaps it is a good idea to keep distance between you and him. And not indefinitely, but just until finals are over. You do not need any distractions from school. If he tries to come back to you, you have to deny him. Tell him that he needs to figure out his feelings and that you will be there for him, but only as a friend.

#3 pinklov3ly, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't been having sex with him since he came out (100% gay). You guys are right, that would be clinging to a lie... But I had been letting him lean on me, emotionally. Whenever he was depressed, or needed a boost to his ego, or even when he was just bored, he knew he could just come to me and feel better. But despite my desire to remain very close friends, I don't think it was mutual, even though he said it was. When we were both down, he'd come visit until he felt better, and then regardless of how I still felt, he'd go hang out with our other friends down the hall instead. Whenever I needed him, he didn't really seem to want to be there for me. I suppose it's possible that I was misinterpreting this, and he really didn't know I still needed him so much, but I'm not so sure.

I've been keeping my distance and focusing on studying, and he's finally stopped visiting so much now, too. I can't help but worry that his depression is getting worse, but maybe that isn't my responsibility anymore. Maybe partway through the summer I'll contact him again and see if anything has changed.

I truly appreciate both of your replies. Thank you!

5. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe he has a hard time dealing with coming out, which is why he leans on you. Being out is a tough process that takes some getting use to. I'm not sure what your situation is like though as only you are aware of it.

Have you actually leaned on him when you really needed him though? Or were you going through a rough time but didn't tell him? If you did and he was dismissive or unsupportive, then you know he was using you.

6. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just an update...

After my last post, I told him how I was feeling, and that I thought we should take a break from each other. He told me he agreed, and that the only way the knew he wouldn't continue to hurt me would be to stop interacting with me.

But it's been about a month now, with no contact at all since that discussion, and I still can't stop thinking of him. Everything reminds me of him, all the time.

I think the space has helped, and I guess I'm grateful for it, but at the same time, it hurts that we're not on speaking terms anymore. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get over him. Does anybody have advice?

7. MerBear

I was friends with my ex girlfriend scarlett for quite awhile....and it wasn't easy because I still had feelings for her and she didn't even know how she felt about me and for a month, we slowly stopped talking and i didn't know why and so finally she emailed me back and we talked for some time and she said the reason, she was depressed ....and she said she loved someone..and my heart just sunk.....and i felt my knee's buckle....and everything collapsed in one moment ....

it was some guy, she fell for and I made the decision to finally leave.
    Even though, She was a good person and good friend to talk to....I couldn't bear the thought of someone having her .....and so I left ....so i wouldn't be reminded.

It's been almost a month since we stopped talkingn and i've been in pain recently, I'm being to break down and I feel lost but I have to move on.

I have no advice but to realize, there is always a reason behind something.....and even if you don't know, you have to hope that there will be good in the future for you.

This quote

That's how I feel right now. everything reminds me of her. Hell even this girl from this movie did and she was hispanic. Scarlett is from the UK. big difference. I feel so broken and like i'm never going to get over but I have to try....because I taught myself that if i try...then its enough

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give it time. A month isn't very long.