1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by worriedWardrobe, Apr 27, 2013.

1. worriedWardrobe

My parents have just informed me that I am not allowed to have male friends over anymore; due to my sexuality. My parents are convinced that I will have sex with any male friends I have over, despite the fact that I have never done anything to provoke that thought. So, I can't hang out with any male friends outside of school.

Please post any and all opinions bellow

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh that is so unfair!Being gay doesnt mean that youre a prostitute or that you like every man you see in the street!You have to make it clear to them that homosexuality is like any other sexuality,by the mean that,does heterosexuals like every woman they see outside?Its just a sexual orientation with the characteristics like the other sexual orientation the only difference is that you like the same gender.Noone can stop us from making friends..its really unfair..

3. AKTodd

I think your parents are being silly.

For starters, if you want to have sex you will find a way to have sex and you certainly don't need to be at home to do it. Secondly, if they were that concerned about it, why not just say you can't have guy friends over and have your bedroom door closed when you are in there with them or the like? You might try offering that as a compromise btw.

Do they think you and a guy friend are going to start having sex on the couch watching a movie while they are in the house? If you were straight would they apply this same sweeping rule to you have any female friends over to the house?

It sounds to me like they are either freaking out a bit and being paranoid and not entirely rational or are trying to punish you or apply negative reinforcement to try to get you to go back to being the 'right' way.

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^That to:confused:r maybe they think that if you hang out only with females,youre going to become straight

5. worriedWardrobe

Considering the fact that they offered to buy my sister birth control pills when she was my age; I think this is just because they don't want me to sleep with another guy

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Call them out directly on the hypocrisy. Your sister and the birth control... ask your mom and dad if they were allowed to have opposite-sex friends over to hang out when they were growing up... and point out that if you really *wanted* to have sex, that you would find a way to do so anyway, and they're just being ridiculous.

I have a feeling it is rooted in their not being comfortable with your being gay, but I think if you directly call them on it (and they're remotely reasonable) they'll "get it" and think about it and hopefully you can come to a reasonable compromise.

7. Wardrobe93

I reccommend watching a documentary called 'For the bible tells me so'. I watched it on Netflix here in the UK. It basically shows how much the bible drives homosexuality due to one line in the bible and how ridiculous these presumptions are.

I wouldn't be angry at your parents for being ignorant. They are simply uneducated. In my experience hatred gets you nowhere. I'm sure theres a quote 'education is the key to understanding'

I'm lucky to live in a country not driven by religion, you're parents are just scared, which is what religion is all about primarily. I don't deny their are positives to religion and I think faith is a vital aspect of life, but I believe the reason religion has survived for so long is the fear.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really don't have anything to say that hasn't been said before...but this seems insane. Parents (in general) let sons have female friends over, but may require something like keeping the bedroom door open. This can be reasonable. But to say no male friends to a gay son?

Especially since they offered to buy birth control pills for your sister? Some would say that's giving permission for her to go out and have sex. And I bet they haven't offered to buy you condoms. (Of course, you can handle that if/when the need arises.)

I'm sure it's all about the fact you are gay. And one thought hits me: your parents may be under the impression that gay guys are out to screw any and every other male they can.

My one piece of concrete advice is this: it's tempting to get angry (heck, I'd be angry), defiant, etc. But I honestly think this is the time you need to be as adult as you can be. Stay cool, calm, collected. And try to be reasonable in negotiations. If you lose control, you could lose the battle.

And, if you do it right, you can win...and perhaps educate your parents at the same time.