1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to ask another girl to prom -- a liitle advice, please?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shadowdancer, May 1, 2013.

1. shadowdancer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Prom is coming up in about a month, and there is a girl in one of my classes that I would like to ask to prom.

I know she's a lesbian, and she knows that I'm not exactly the straighest girl in the world. We have one class together, and she's a member of the gay-straight alliance that I founded.

We live in a conservative part of Texas, and we've both experienced anti-LGBT harassment, but we wouldn't have to deal with those odd hurdles at some schools where you have to have an opposite-six partner to go to prom with because our school allows people to go by themselves. (Thank goodness --that would be an issue for a lot of people who just don't have dates, and those of us who aren't exactly inclined to date the opposite sex.)

I don't know if she likes me romantically, but we do both love talking to each other. When ~I'm around her I feel excited and my stomach gets that oft-described "butterfly" sensation. She's really sweet and adorable, haha. I've been thinking about asking her, but I am admittedly a little scared about the prospect. But I know that I'm losing time, as prom is approaching, and if I don't ask soon . . . well, I need to figure out how to go about this.

If anyone can provide me a little advice (or tell me how to make this nervous fluttering in my stomach stop), that would be lovely. Thank you very much.

2. SomeNights

I love threads like this!!!

the best way to go about it is to be friends with her and then put it in her court. tell her your gay or just start complementing random things about her.

A month....I'm not going to lie that's asking a lot. I'd start with complements and just work your way to the question. Start hanging out with her and try and be her friend before you try and make a romantic move (Like asking her out to prom).

3. The Dude

Hey there!

I don't have much, but try to be casual. I went with a friend of mine to prom (a girl) just as friends both junior and senior year. We had a blast both times, and I'd go with her again...just ask her in a friendly way, not like your coming on to her kind of way. "Hey, I don't know if you're going to prom or not, but would you want to go together by any chance? Just as friends?" Something along those lines should suffice.

As for the nerves...no advice. Today I was in a computer lab at my college and a cute guy sat next to me. I never saw him before, but it felt like I couldn't breathe for the 15 minutes he was there. If you ever figure out how to calm your nerves, let me know, cause this guy needs it!

Sorry about the harassment. I'm sure that is tough to deal with, I can't imagine...good luck with whatever you decide to do! I hope it works out

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I wish I knew how to help with nerves because, I'll admit, I'm bad with that too. But I think if you wanted to ask her to prom, now's the chance. The worst thing she can say is no and from what you've posted, she seems nice enough, probably open to the idea.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

5. Mysz

Going to ask a girl to prom as well next week =)
    If you've been talking, she knows you exist and likes to talk to you. I would not ask her in a huge, showy way as I see a lot of hetero couples do, and especially considering the environment at your school. I wouldn't ask her to go just as friends if you think you like her or want to get romantically involved with her- but do whatever you think will work for you! You want to be careful not to get friend zoned.

6. HeyAshley

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

'nuff said!

7. shadowdancer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I have an update!

She said yes. :slight_smile:

8. Mysz

:eusa_danc
    :grin:
    !!

9. The Dude

This is awesome news! Let us know how it goes...and congratulations!

10. riahf

Yay! Congrats!

11. SomeNights

Congratulations!!! ^.^

12. FemCasanova

Look at your nervousness as a positive thing, not a negative. Visible butterflies makes a girl feel special, she`ll know you genuinely want to go with her. To keep your legs from shaking too much, focus on her and the fun you`ll have at prom once you`ve asked her. No pain, no gain, sometimes the things most worthy of doing can be a bit difficult, but you can do it. And cherish that feeling of butterflies and nerves, because it`s a kind of magic really. Further into a relationship it gets replaced by something just as valuable, but one will think back on those butterfly feelings as wonderful!

Go for it, girl!
    :grin: