1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible and homosexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dakine, May 2, 2013.

1. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know there is Matthew Vines the gay debate but I need as much proof in other literature that the interpretation mainstream religion has on homosexuality is horribly wrong. I'm coming out to my parents before I move and leaving our relationship in their hands. They are the "gay is a sin and a choice" kind of ppl and I need to show then that's not what God is trying to say at all. I thought like that for years and convinced myself I was worthless. Not anymore. They either love me or disown me

2. SomeNights

Matthew Vines is going to be your best bet, but you could also read the bibe and interpret it for yourself?

3. JPC

JPC Guest

#3 JPC, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  4. Hefiel

Quick Google search on "reconciling homosexuality and the Bible" brought results like this website :
    How can you reconcile being gay with what the Bible says?
    I've not really checked the content of that link beyond the first page though, so I'm not sure what kind of information they give.

You could also look into this movie called "For the Bible Tells Me So"
    [YOUTUBE]msulDOOrqcQ[/YOUTUBE]

5. SomeNights

6. Kyllani

7. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone. I've grown up reading the bible daily but only recently have I been able to change my warped view on the topic due to the religion I was raised in. I now believe 100% that God is understanding and that its religion that has misinterpreted, but trying to pursuade parents who believe it is a deadly CHOICE is a whole other ball game.

8. PeteNJ

google "Letter to Louise" --

honestly, the best, most direct, most compassionate piece out there

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Matthew Vines' work is widely considered to be the best in the field in terms of speaking to theologians. So if they're going to be quoting the Bible, his work is the best refutation.

But the problem is, when you're dealing with people who aren't rational, they tend to not let inconvenient things like facts get in the way of their bigotry. So the only real choice may be to try to have a conversation, realizing that nothing in the short term will work, but being OK wiht the fact that, in time, they will almost certainly come around.