1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe to tell a psychologist I'm attracted to women?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by evora, May 4, 2013.

1. evora

She is not my psychologist, this will be the second time I see her and she works at the job centre and it's free even if you're not registered and looking for a job so I don't know how private it is and if it would be written on a note somewhere.

Last time we talked about my studies but I kept thinking about mentioning I might be gay but didn't but this time I really want to tell her but I have no idea how she'd react. I don't want her to be disgusted with me but I feel like after six months of figuring it out, I have to tell someone. Someone in real life so I could see their reaction. And also because it is a big part of me especially because I keep seeing attractive women everywhere I go and I want to talk about it with someone and because it has a huge impact on my life.

A few times before when I saw a woman I thought looked hot, I wanted to turn to my mother or whoever was standing next to me and say 'Look how attractive she is!' or just calmly tell her in a matter of fact tone of voice that I like women and not men and this is how it is but I know if I actually had to get up now and tell her that, I couldn't do it. I couldn't say the words so I might not even be able to talk about it with this psychologist.

Help, please?

I've just realized I might have posted this in the wrong section...

#1 evora, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can't you ask he psychologist how private it is and then decide ? I don't know much about psychologists.

3. evora

Yes, I can and will ask her but I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with psychologists and how much you can really trust them.

4. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

You should understand that you can talk to pyschologists about anything. They are there for you, and if they are a good psychologist, and actually do their job,you should be able to tell them all things.

5. QueerQueen

I'm sure she'll by fine with it, I know my friend was seeing one and she told her/him that she was bisexual and had feelings for someone of the same gender and the girl gave her advice. I really doubt that the person your seeing will be disgusted, you might not even be the first person to tell her something like that. If she is professional which she should be, all you will get from her is kindness, besides everything said is or should be confidential.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the American Psychological Association's official statement is that gays are OK.

Plus, studying psychology tends to make you more left-wing. (Seriously, there are studies showing this!)

7. TraceElement

I've seen a psychologist before, and in her "disclosure" packet she said that everything will be confidential unless you are a threat to yourself or someone else.

8. evora

She seemed like a very nice person and was very helpful. She wanted me to do well and asked me to go back to tell her how everything went with my exams but I'm scared she's one of those people who are intelligent, nice and accepting except when it comes to homosexuality. I couldn't bear for her to be disgusted with me or to disapprove and tell me I'm not normal. :frowning2:

I don't know if she keeps files on people. I hope she doesn't.

---------- Post added 5th May 2013 at 10:50 AM ----------

I'm sure homosexuality is not considered a disease in this country anymore but she might disapprove, as the majority of people do.

9. "I don't know if she keeps files on people. I hope she doesn't."

im pretty sure they do dont they as they are sort of like drs. like when you got to the dr after your appt, and what was wrong they write it up. think its like that with dentists aswell, nearly every person you see keeps logs about you, but none of them ever get seen as its confidential.

the files she may keep about you are confidential unless as someone else said youre a danger to someone else or yourself. they are only looking out for your safety. when i was in hosp years back and i saw a psychologist i got my report back at the end of it seeing all my notes and things/findings about what was wrong with me was quite fascinating actually.

if you do tell her your sexuality and she dissaproves/says something mean (which she probably wont anyways) thats unprofessional and you can find a new one. but use your own judgement if she seems professional enough as you know her not us :slight_smile: