1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure if my parents believe me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lightningpawn, May 5, 2013.

1. lightningpawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hi. i'm 15, and when i came out to my parents as bisexual they didn't have any problems with it. i mean, they're both extremely liberal, and so are most of my friends, so i wasn't really expecting any hate. instead, before i came out, i was afraid that no one would believe me. i was worried they'd tell me i was too young to know, or that i couldn't possibly have decided that without dating any girls, etc. i don't know why, and i felt kind of stupid for being afraid of it.

but then that's what actually happened. my mom has casually slipped into conversation multiple times that she doesn't think i'm old enough to know and understand my sexual orientation yet, and my dad has told me that he and my mom, "don't think I'm really gay." (even though i'm actually bisexual????) they've both told me on numerous occasions that they think sexuality is fluid and that labeling myself at my age is a bad idea. and to top it off, i don't think they take my relationship with my girlfriend seriously--my dad keeps trying to convince me to date random guys, and i feel like he's trying to marginalize it or write it off.

and the thing is that even if i try to bring this up with them, i don't think they understand what i mean. "how do i get them to take me seriously?", i guess is what i'm trying to ask.

2. stumble along

Get caught showing mild PDA with your girlfriend and treat it as no big deal
    Kinda hard to justify you kissing your gf in front of them

3. lightningpawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that's actually some pretty good advice, thanks! at the very least it would probably start a conversation about it with them.

4. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Try to be obvious about being with your girlfriend, and try to make a point that you are bisexual, not whatever they want you to be. Make sure not to do the whole kissing and making out in front of them thing, as that is simply bad taste.