1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents still dealing with anti-gay ministry

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by josh9623, May 6, 2013.

1. josh9623

so i noticed that my mom was printing something and when i looked closer i saw that it was a support group that is affiliated with family ties (a large member of exodus intl that just happens to be somewhat local) so im not really sure what i should do. i thought about just handing her a the number for the pro-gay church (which ironically is about a mile away from the other church on the same street) and telling her to talk to them, but i dont know how that would be taken. any thoughts?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only assume that this is some group that's supposed to make you straight?
    I don't think she would take it well if you suggested that you switch churches completely - what kind of ties does she have with the church, and how long has your family been going there?

It may be that she needs some time to cope (it sounds like a disease, right? Pathetic) with you coming out? How long ago did you?

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest being terribly radical, but someone who's older may have some more experienced advice for you.

<3 always have my love and support

3. josh9623

i guess i wasn't clear but the support group is for parents, we don't have any real ties to the church other than my parents tried to send me there to change me and i said no, also i came out in November or December don't remember exactly

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, by all means offer them any alternatives to something that's anti-gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Anti-gay is no way to support your son. *facepalm*

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I think it would be nice if she heard another viewpoint, but I wonder how much luck you'd have giving her the phone number.

You may know this, but I think your chances of success (in general) are when a parent is in a good mood. And, of course, you need to be as mature as possible, because you are more likely to be taken seriously. (Incidentally, from what I see in your posts here, your maturity seems good, but even at my age, under fire from a parent, one can revert to being a six year old.)

You might also suggest your parents attend a PFLAG meeting (the "P" is for "parents').

Your parents might be reluctant to consider anything but Rev. Gay Is A Sin. One thing you can point out: they can try one meeting. That is manageable. And they don't even have to stay the whole time (although they should give it more than five minutes).

6. josh9623

so my parents got back from their little meeting, and I just finished talking to my mom about how maybe she could talk to someone at MCC (the previously mentioned pro-gay church) and not surprisingly i found out that the pastor they have been dealing with specifically told my parents to avoid that church and to bar me from attending it because of their "twisted doctrine" and "mis-teachings" yet in my opinion that is more a description of his church than MCC. if you haven't seen my other thread talking about him his name is jack harren and he is a major supporter of exodus intl. I have talked over the phone with MCC and our views of him are the same. now i just have to get my parents to realize this. My mom did let me pull up MCC's webpage so that she could see what they were all about, so hopefully she'll wise-up.

7. FemCasanova

What an ass-hat of a pastor! Don`t give up, get some leaflets or something about that pro-gay church and leave it somewhere in the house where they`ll be able to pick it up and read it when they`re in the mood. And possibly it would be best to not push them too hard. People tend to pull the brakes faster if they feel they`re being pushed. Letting them gently know that you`re gay and Christian, and that`s not going to change, so you hope in time they`ll at least give this other church a try is probably what you should keep it at. Giving them a little time might help, but if they return from more meetings with this pastor with the same attitude or start saying negative things, you could say that you think it`s sad that he is making them turn away from you, because you cannot change who you are, but you still have faith and if they want to discuss it with you you`re all up for that.

I think you seem very brave and mature, so you`ll handle this! Chin up, we`re with you.