1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Heartbroken: my Dad cannot accept gays because we are "sinful."

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Asari, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad just sent me an email. He titled it "Jesus loves Gays" I'm guessing it is because he saw I liked the "Jesus Loves Gays" on facebook, but the email implies that he knows I am gay. I haven't come out to my parents because they are insanely anti-gay christians. The fact that he needs to call me out because of my support of gay marriage says it all. How do I even begin to respond to this email he sent me? Every time I read it I cry. I need support and love right now. This is so hurtful.

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Wow! That's a big mind nuck. Big hug for you.
    Google Gene Robertson 1st openly Gay Episcopal Bishop. Think your Dad missed a few things about Jesus in his education. Love is Love. Love does not judge. It nurtures & comforts & accepts.

3. Sully

(&&&) (&&&) (&&&) (&&&) (&&&)

So, so, so sorry you had to read that. Stay strong, take some time to think and do what you need to.

4. Hitch

I usually don't have no problem with people believing in god, but i also have never had a problem with telling people how stupid and ignorant they are. If god had an opinion on this subject then they would come out and say it. But he hasn't, so people feel the need to speak for him. But in the end, it is only used to further their own prejudice. People need to get their head out of their a** and come back to reality.

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I read it differently. He has a problem with "overdoing it" (like celebrating in the nude) and sexual stuff. Same probably goes for straight people. I don't think he'll say "hooray" when he sees a straight couple in the nude in public.
    You can't blame anyone for that. Some people see nudity as something sexual and shameful.
    The way that some gays express themselves, especially in gay prides, is just shocking to some. While they just celebrate, it gives the impression (to some) that gays are pigs.
    And it kind of sticks to the mind and is used to fuel hate/disgust.

The whole thing with religion is that they are okay with gays, but not with the sexual part of it. He can't help it, religion is indoctrination. They don't think for themselves...

Just remember the better part, where he says he accepts you as a lesbian and that he loves you ...

6. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for the advice. I have been working on a reply for hours and finally came up with one that was calm and respectful enough. Any feedback is really appreciated. Let me know if I should include anything or leave anything out. I decided not to debate with him about why it's ok to be gay. He's not ready for that yet. Besides there is so much drama in our family I think he is using this as a scapegoat. So I am going to be the complete opposite of the gay stereotype he depicted and be loving and respectful.

7. Lamonia

Lamonia Guest

I teared when I read your response...very well put..love how it is assertive yet considerate at the same time...

You are a very good writer :slight_smile:.

Wish you all the best...

8. asmith6543

I didnt see anything wrong with his letter. He makes know his beliefs, where he stands, and how he mentally is dealing with prospects of his daughter being gay, but does not necessarily impose his beliefs upon others.

He tells you that he loves you, but no where did he ask for you to go get lost.

9. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Good response, bigoted (sorry) sender. The person why sent this is not exactly someone I would want to be around, honestly.

10. Juless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I know exactly what you're going through, my parents are the same way. I have so much insecurity and shame from hiding it from them for so long... I told them I was gay two months ago, and they reacted the way I though they would.

Just want you to know that you are not alone and we're in this together. We will make it through! Anytime you need to talk I'm here

11. RainbowMan

This thread is over a year old, and it's unlikely that the OP needs help with this anymore. If you'd like to discuss the same topic, please open a new thread.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.