1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister is gay.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Emilythepickle, May 7, 2013.

1. Emilythepickle

Okay so it's a long and confusing story, basically my sister is an out lesbian in a long distance relationship, and she's been out for a while now. But here's the thing... I'm pansexual. I have tried to tell my sister, but she refuses to believe me, she simply says that i'm "copying her" and that i'm straight, which annoys me in itself. The second thing is that I'm scared to come out to my family and all of my friends, incase they, too believe that I'm copying my elder sister. I just don't know what to do anymore and it's starting to take its toll on me... any advice? :bang: :bang:

2. Exoskeleton

How old is your sister?

I ask, because "Man, you're just copying me! I SAID IT FIRST!!" seems like a really juvenile thing to say. As if somebody can call dibs on not being straight, or like there's some sort of LGBTQ bandwagon that people are just hankerin' to hop on to.

You are your own person. You have you own feelings. So don't let your sister get you down. If the only thing stopping you from coming out is fear of your family thinking you're emulating your older sister, then I suggest you go ahead and come out, and clarify why it is that you consider yourself pansexual.

And tell your sister that you don't claim the label pansexual because you thought it would be cool.

3. Emilythepickle

She's 16, I'm 15, and Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm sure I'll come out when my sister moves to scotland to live with her girlfriend... in 2 years D;

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Copying her?! Your feelings are most definitely your own. I'm so sorry she reacted that way towards you. I mean, it takes a lot of strength to come out and to get this kind of reaction is a smack in the face. I think if you're ready to come out then you should. Your sister should be your biggest supporter, but I guess not. Don't let her undermine what you're experiencing. It's just as important as the journey she had to face when she came out.

#4 pinklov3ly, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  5. FemCasanova

What your sister thinks/feels about your sexuality is her problem, how you think/feel is your own, so it`s really quite irrelevant whether she believes your sexuality or not, you know the truth! And in a few years she`ll come around. Don`t let her disbelief stop you from being who you are and open about it. And if the whole rest of your family don`t believe you, so what? It won`t change anything, and in a few years they`ll come around too. Focus on you, and your journey. Ignore the nay-sayers! She might have felt like the special one, and been proud about that, and that you coming out somehow diminishes her "uniqueness". That`s her problem, and she`ll deal with it. You are both still very young. Just try to think of it as her little issue, that has nothing to do with you, and you`ll be fine :slight_smile:

6. Emilythepickle

thank you all so much for your replies and advice c: and i think i might wait until i've left for college to come out so im ot in the house when i do it idk c:

7. TraceElement

There was a thread here a while ago discussing how many families had more than sibling on the LGBT spectrum... I was a little surprised with the fact. I do understand that it may seem like you are copying her, but you are not; you are your own induvidual.