1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Justme19, May 8, 2013.

1. Justme19

Justme19 Guest

Well all my life I have been sheltered up until 18. I had to go to a therapist who referred me to this place for youths because my mom and I didn't get along and I had no family I could stay with them before I worked things out with my mom. So I moved in and stayed there a while for me it was the first time I got to interact with any kind of people at all. Most were troubled and annoying but in the first few days I got along alright with this girl. She was odd but I felt sorry for her and we had a good conversation. It appeared she had a great sense of humor. So next time I was talking to her and I found out that she was transgender. And well we'd talk a lot and she was the first one I admitted I felt like I was similar. I had eventually told many there that's what I felt Like I too was transgender. But I'd never do it there. But now I wish I had. For certain monetary reasons. But anyway after I left the girl I first talked about it I was still in contact with her sorta and well she wanted me to go to the lgbt center with her for the translation group. I have gone a few times. I have concluded I don't feel as strongly as they do. But there's many similarities I sometimes feel I don't have the courage though to be like that though to express what I really am. What I feel like. My life has been like fuck your feelings. But I'm getting there.

So my mom on the other hand actually knows how I felt when I was 12-14. I felt really like I wanted to transition. She always tries to bring this up to somehow say I'm not straight. Even though I do like guys. And she knows this. I've learned my feelings for guys are very strong and I actually obsess about guys I like. But my mom doesn't like people like that are lgbt. But I wasn't really thinking of telling her I'm trans because I'm not sure myself but more coming out as bigender. She hardly knows anything about it though. But I want to explain so when I do express myself the way I want she'll understand I'm not a lesbian or anything. I guess I just don't want assumptions. I'm 19 and I live with her. So it's not like I can hide this about me... Advice?

2. manoverboard09

You say she's always trying to bring it up to you, saying you're not straight? Right? So obviously she sees something there, and she assumes it. From what I'm reading I think I would talk to her about it. It's obviously bothering you, but first I think you need to accept yourself and really decide what/who you are before coming out to anyone. You have to come out to yourself first, and once you explain to someone that you're transgender I think it would be difficult to take all of that back.
    So, basically, if you accept yourself I say go for it. Tell her who you are, even if she doesn't accept the lgbt community, you're her child, she'll love you no matter I would hope.

3. Justme19

Justme19 Guest

Back then I said I liked guys. I said I was a boy. And she always says I think I'm a boy therefore gay or something like that like girls to some capacity.

She seriously hates those people. She thinks they should be beaten. But I'm not a lesbian or actually trans. And I don't want her to get that idea. I guess I don't want her to make assumptions.

I accept myself I guess but I feel like I've never wanted to admit I don't like my body. I'd rather just present myself differently with attire but not a medical process at least not now.

#3 Justme19, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  4. Justme19

Justme19 Guest

She also tried to intimate I was lesbian yesterday.

5. Justme19

Justme19 Guest

Yeah I told her it didn't go we'll but she actually didn't seem upset at my saying I'm bigender...