1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hold a conversation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nintendo1, May 11, 2013.

1. Nintendo1

Nintendo1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I have no idea on how to hold a conversation. I have been speaking to this guy online and we both like each other, but the conversation dies quickly and we will stop speaking for a couple of days. I started speaking to him again today and so far the conversation goes like this:

Me: Hey :slight_smile:
    Him: Hey :slight_smile:
    Me: How are you?
    Him: Good thanks, just in town at the moment :slight_smile: You?
    Me: Not bad :slight_smile: Just lying in bed stll :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That's it :frowning2: He also has problems of thinking what to say which is why it dies so quickly. I could ask what he has been up to, but that is just a generic and boring question and I wouldn't know what to say after that :lol:

Any advice please? :slight_smile:

2. Elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When he asks how are you, just tell him about something you've been up to today or something and try to make a conversation about it. Or it could have been some movie you just watched, a news article you read, anything interesting really that he could say something about or ask you about.

3. GeorgieBoy

I would definitely recommend what Elena said above ^^^
    Also, don't be afraid to let them know hat you're enjoying speaking to them, that might encourage them to talk more. And, even if you can't help but sound cheesy, let them know you've been thinking about them, or that you would like to see them. It's not much, but it can mean a lot to some people. :slight_smile:

4. AKTodd

In addition, you should ask him about what he's doing or planning to do that day. Ask him about what TV shows or movies he likes and (if you like the same ones) you can talk about the most recent episode or what you thought of the movie or whatever. Similar can be done with music and bands or sports and teams or whatever.

Try to ask open ended questions that don't encourage simple answers that stop the conversation.

Todd

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I concur!

How/What/Why/When questions will help keep you from avoiding close ended questions. :slight_smile:

6. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Details can go a long way.

7. Romann

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do what I do when a conversation is about to die: Say "Awkward Silence.."

8. BudderMC

Oftentimes it's harder to hold a "conversation" online, at least for me. I'd much rather do it in person. I find little conversation-fillers (like simple questions) are useless online because they're things you could easily search on the Internet. For example, a cute guy I've been talking with ran did the Tough Mudder today - I know very vaguely what it's about and would like to know more, but I feel silly asking something I could just go Google instead, especially when our messages are intermittent (1-2/day).

When you're online, you're forced to only talk about what you know about each other/your commonalities, which if you're not that close with each other yet only leaves so many conversation topics. Being in person also gives you the advantage of talking about the environment around you, which can help keep a conversation going until a new topic of interest arises. It also lets you engage in activities together to fill the time too.

Besides all that, I find a good way to keep a conversation going is to ask about the other person. We often feel bad/self-centered talking about ourselves (despite our natural love to do so anyways), but asking about the other person shows that we have a genuine interest in them. If it's a more generic question (ex. what kind of music do you like?) when the person is finished answering, it'll usually prompt them to ask you the same question back.

And finally, I find that the more you overthink a conversation, the worse it turns out. Conversations flow naturally, so don't try too hard to steer it in a certain direction. This effect is significantly worse online since you have time to "think" about how you're going to reply, vs. in person when you say whatever comes to mind. Try to train yourself to not overthink what it is you're going to type out.

tl;dr Get off the computer and hang out with him in person - it solves a lot of the problems :wink: