1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this bad of me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by coreyl13, May 11, 2013.

1. coreyl13

So my parents always joke about me being gay and they will jokingly tell others I'm gay I guess to test the waters for me. When they ask me I tell them I know what I am and that's all that matters. This started a few years ago when I was in the mindset why do people want to know so bad it doesn't affect them. But now I have fun with it. I will let them think I like a girl but in the same sentence say I'm never getting married or having kids of my own. I think its funny to keep them guessing. The other day at work I was talking to a friend who knows I'm gay. We were talking about an ex girlfriend I had and a guy co worker over heard and he goes oh coreyl13 really wow. Like he already told himself I'm gay but now doesn't know anymore cause I was talking about an ex girlfriend.
    Is this bad of me to think its funny and to have fun with it?

2. how

how

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have done so, in my short time of knowing my sexuality. After all, people make self-deprecating jokes about their race, gender etc.

I think it's fine

Oscar x

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question I always ask myself is... how would I feel if the situation were reversed and someone I care deeply about and know really well was essentially playing with me about something that is kind of important.

With your parents, I'd suspect they know the truth, and would just like to get the elephant out of the room, but you keep dodging the question.

The other question I'd ask is... why are you doing that? If you're completely and totally comfortable with who you are, why would you intentionally keep people guessing?

So if, on reflection, you aren't as comfortable as you think, then maybe it's something to think about, because if you are doing that to deflect, then there's still some shame about who you are, and you'd feel better about yourself if you get to a place where you're comfortable being honest with everyone.

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to do that too. I would just joke back whenever they made suspicious comments. Makes it more fun that way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: