1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by john47, May 12, 2013.

1. john47

john47 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a huge crush on a guy from my school, lets call him Ryan. Ryan and I hang out often, always with a group of friends. He is very loud and very funny. He can also be kind of a dork which contributes to why I like him. When he talks about me to other people he tells them how funny and awesome I am. We went to anair soft event together with a group of friends and when we returned he told everyone how I kicked ass. He has also told me multiple times that he will miss me a lot when I leave for college (he is a junior and I'm a senior) and he has yet to say this to any of the other seniors in our friend group. Ryan and I both volunteered at a fashion show last month. My mother was on the committee and that's how I became obligated to volunteer. I was telling Ryan and my friends about the fashion show and he said that it sounded really cool and he asked to volunteer as well. We both ended up working the show and it was actually a lot if fun. He worked coat check while I managed the silent auction. He made a effort to visit me multiple times over the night. He also said that he really enjoyed events like this. The main reason that I suspect that he may be gay is that he makes a lot of "but that would be gay right?" jokes. He has also asked me if I was gay infront of large groups of people twice. I lied and said I was straight because I didn't feel confortable coming out to that many people at one moment. I'm beginning to suspect that he wanted to know if anyone else in the group was gay but did it the wrong way. I never even thought of him being gay until my friends doubts about his sexuality opened my eyes. They don't know anything about my sexuality but they don't mind gays so I'm considering coming out to them soon. But when Ryan is not there they discuss the possibilities of him being a homosexual. His best friend told me that Ryan has never dated anyone cause he tends to find a bunch offlaws in the girls and he is then no longer interested in them. Ryan does make a lot of loud, exaggerated comments about girls when he is with a group of guys. He is going to rom with a very attractive girl and he tells us that he intends to hook up with her. His best friend told me that its never going to happen cause she does not want to go with him. I feel like Ryan is just trying to talk it up to impress a group of guys and not appear gay. Of course I could be wrong but last night leads me to continue with my earlier assumptions. We went to go see the Great Gatbsy with a friend and his prom date. Ryan and I sat next to each other. Almost immediately he put his foot and leg against mine. I even noticed him look over at my a couple of times. I even saw him adjust himself multiple times. After the movie he made a bunch of jokes about that night being a double date. I have always felt that there was a faint chance that Ryan was gay and I didn't want to pursue a straight guy because that only ends with awkwardness and embarrassment but last night was the first time I think that a guy has come onto me. I was wondering about what other people think about this situation like do you think that he is gay? And how are some ways to handle the situation? And what do if he is gay? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. AKTodd

Hm. I don't know of any straight guys who would press their leg up against another guy's and then leave it there unless circumstances made any other option impossible. Of all the things you mention, that sticks out to me most as an indicator that he's either into guys or at least into you. The looks and adjusting himself might or might not mean something since some people just look at those around them periodically and some guys seem to adjust themselves on an ongoing basis without even realizing they're doing it.

Since you're considering coming out to your friends in any case and he's one of your friends, perhaps include him in the process early on (not necessarily first, unless you really want to) and then see what he does. If he comes out to you too, then it comes down to whether or not you want to let him know how you feel about him and how far or how fast you want to take things if the feelings are mutual. Or how you want to handle it if the feelings aren't mutual for that matter.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty high likelihood that Ryan is a poof :slight_smile:

It also sounds like he's all but ready to acknowledge it, and that he probably is into you. I'll agree with Todd that it's probably pretty safe to come out to him. He may, in fact, just be waiting for you to admit it so he can admit it back.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok .... but not very sensitive of him to try and "out " you in front of a group of people??? What was that all about?

5. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I don't really like to judge people's sexual orientation when I have not personally met them, or know substancial and relevant information. I think that you should just ask him, that really is the only way to find out, unless you see him snogging another boy lol!

6. I don't like to make assumptions about other people's sexuality
    however ignoring that he seems very ghey.

7. john47

john47 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I came out to a friend last week. It felt really good finally coming out to somebody. It even turned out that she was bi. She is not very open about her sexuality either so it's nice to have someone in the same situation. I told her everything about my crush on Ryan. She agrees that there is a high chance that he is gay. She also said that she will do some looking into it. I'm glad to have such an awesome friend.

Yesterday was Prom. It was a lot of fun. I talked to Ryan many times during the night. He had been talking it up about how he and he date were going to hook up during prom. The entire night I only saw him with his date once. The other times he was wondering around alone. My date and I went to 2 different posts. She went with some of her girlfriends for a slumber party and I went to this other guy's post. I invited Ryan 2 weeks prior to prom to the post and he said that he would come. He ditched his date to go to the same post as me. He has been saying for months now how much he liked her and he was perfectly willing to blow her off and hang out. The post was pretty fun. I invited one of my friends who graduated a semester early to post. the guy to girl ratio was really offand someone suggested to invite this one girl who was just awful so I told them that my friend "nikki" would come instead. Ryan was the only one who didn't drink anything. He seemed really tired. Nikki, Ryan, and I had a lot of fun playing a bunch of different games and stuff. He sat next to me for a lot of the games and we touched a lot. We sat on a giant bean bag chair together and he moved over the bag of potatoe chips and pretzels and then layed down right next to me. There was this one room with a tv and two beds and he got in the same bed as me. I enjoyed Nikki's company but I'm afraid that he might have thought that there is something going on between us because we are so close. Ryan ended up leaving at 4am (3 hours before everyone else). I was really bummed that he left cause we were having so much fun. I texted him later in the day that I should have left when he did because it wasn't as fun after he left. He replied with "Haha thanks". I'm probably getting too into this but I have never liked a guy so much. I have had crushes before but nothing ever like this.

When he was gone a friend of mine was wasted and telling me everything about his life. He said ask me anything and I'll say the 100% truth. I asked he what he thought about Ryan (this friend doesn't like Ryan all that much) he said that he thinks that he's gay and got into a lot of the points I made earlier. After post I was texting another friend cause he was curious to know the details. I told him about my drunk friend and some of the stuff we talked about. I also through in that he suggested that Ryan was gay cause I wanted to know what my friend would have to say about it. He told me about how Ryan talked it up about his goal to hook up with girls during a MUN dance. He said that Ryan rejected every girl at the dance. He said that there was this one girl that tried grinding with Ryan and he just walked away. I keep getting all of this information that points towards him being gay. I really hope he is and I want to come out to him but I want to be more certain on his sexuality. Would it be a good idea to talk to or text some of his closer friends to figure out his past with girls and what they think about his sexuality? I do not want to spread rumors about him being gay. So far I have gotten other people to talk about their views on his sexuality without me just straight up asking "do you think he is gay?". I'm thinking about asking his best friend who I'm also friends with. They have known each other their whole lives so he will know whether or not Ryan is gay. And if I do talk/text his friend and learn anything, would it be a good idea to text Ryan asking if he is gay? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    You could text his friend if you want extra security, but honestly I think the best thing to do is just ask Ryan directly (in person).

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well that's a long list of signs for sure...
    The tricky thing is, if I read the thread correctly, you're not out to many people, and he's in the same situation or not at all. Kinda unfair to ask someone to show their cards while hiding yours... and if he's not comfortable with it yet (regardless of all the playful comments and behaviour) it might push him farther away from coming out.
    I'd say you can either take him aside and come out to him, something along the lines of you two are becoming good friends and you have recently started to share that info with your close friends. Keep the "I'm madly in love with you dude" for another conversation.
    Or the slightly more risky option might be telling him that you're puzzled by a few things that happened recently, and maybe you're reading too much into, partly because you DO like guys.
    He may or may not decide to come out at the same time, he will do when he's ready (presuming he's not hetero), in the same way you have not been ready to tell him so far.
    Hope it works out for you two...

10. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^^THIS POST^^

Hell, if he isn't attracted to you then I don't know how to explain his behavior.

11. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I agree with every post in this thread pointing to Ryan having the possibility of being a homosexual.

But maybe the best way to find out is to, *kindly read awesomeyodais' post again*

:slight_smile: