1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cope with a death?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, May 12, 2013.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of need some help to cope with the death of my puppy (technically speaking she'd be classified as a full-fledged dog...but she's my puppy.

It was last Sunday when she passed. 2:11 PM to be exact. I've been, well, broken since then. She's been sick for months; diagnosed with kidney disease a few months back, her vet said that he was amazed that she survived as long as she did. She would stop eating, then after a few weeks start eating a lot again. She got incredibly skinny. For anyone who's seen a typical dachshund, they're not overly skinny. She used to be really fat. Anyways, last Friday my sister had no classes so she offered to drive me home from school. She originally refused to go in the house because she didn't want to see her. Saturday when my parents brought me home from work it was decided that we were going to have her put down. Then Sunday came.

Ever since then I've just had a pain in my chest because she's gone. She was my best friend. God, I've had her since I was in kindergarten (I'm a high school sophomore now). Now she's just gone. I refuse to move the bed she had in my room because then it'll really mean that she's gone...

I've hardly been talking to anyone outside of school. I'll put on a façade during the day but once I get home it's just like 'screw you all'. The majority of my texts from this week are from my mom because of some after school stuff I had going on.

So now what? How do I cope? Like I come home from school now but I don't know what to do. I would take her outside everyday and now she's just not there.

I feel kind of guilty for starting to look at pet ads on Craigslist and looking for a puppy because I feel so...lost. Should I feel guilty?

P.S. I know this may sound crazy but I feel like she's still here. That day I was laying on my bed and this overwhelming feeling of coldness (a common feeling associated with ghosts) which I later felt that same day. There was no feasible reason why I should've felt a rush of cold in either place. It's not the first time this has happened after a death either...

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy, this brings back memories of my first dog. She died a few years back when she was 17 or 18 years old, but I grew up with her for the first 11 years of my life. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, and it is perfectly fine to feel like this even after a week. I remember feeling like that for an entire month after my dog died. The only thing you can do is just move on from the loss of a loved one. From the way it sounded, she's probably better off now that she was, a lot of dogs get like that once they get older. Just remember to think of all the good times you had with her, and not to focus on that she's gone, just be happy that she was there. Don't feel guilty getting another pet either, if you feel lonely, go ahead and get one. I have no clues about the chills either, maybe you are just special to where you can feel the supernatural. Hoped this helped :slight_smile:

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I've just been reading too much transcendentalism in school, but I've found that I don't get bent out of shape over losses such as these, because I can instantly make peace with the fact. Death is a part of life, and the briefest way to state my opinion would be by what I think is a Dr. Seuss quote: "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." You knew the day you got that dog it was someday going to die. It's sad that it happened too soon, but just think of all the great memories you have of her.

My only dog was put down for a seizure-inducing brain tumor when she was only about 2 years old. I was crushed at first, but when the shock of missing her was over, I just got a warm feeling whenever I thought about how she brightened my life. She was such a sweet thing, and I was incredibly blessed and enriched to have had her for even a short time.

All life is a gift. Just because some parts of it are less valuable or lasting than you expect doesn't make it any less a miracle. And don't feel guilty for looking at other dogs; I'm sure your dachsund would still love you anyway. :slight_smile:

#3 Argentwing, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. stumble along

Hey there, I'm really sorry about your pup, I lost my parrot during my senior year of highschool, and it was rough, and it didnt help that when I brought it up with my friends, no one seemed to care and it got swept under the rug when someone brought up an incredibly stupid topic. Needless to say that did not help (and I would recomend maybe telling a good/best friend why you're upset, just telling people one by one so its treated more seriously)

And honestly its been alittle over a year and a half and I still feel bad when I think about it (granted she literally died in my arms), but i feel equally happy when i think about the good and funny times I had with her.

I also have a dog who is at least 13 years old (and two others), she's alright but her age is getting apparent, shes bumping into stuff, her eyes are cloudy, and does odd things for no reason. I sometimes have dreams where she dies, and have the nagging feeling that it will happen sometime next year, though I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, there's no way I can get you to feel better, but hopefully sharing my story alittle helps, you aren't alone, many people deal.with this everyday, and they all cope with it uniquely. What i can siggest is to not close yourself off, tell your friends and talk to your parents, this will help avoid you getting anymore depressed.

All the best,

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this your first pet death?

I was devastated when one of my cats died when I was 12. The ones that have died since then, I've been sad but not to the point where I can't cope.

I think the first time hurts more because even though you know they don't live as long as humans, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like they'll be around forever. But then I realized they live short but wonderful lives.