1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the Jump

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AaronMed, May 13, 2013.

1. AaronMed

Okay guys, I'm not really sure how to put this, but I guess I'll just start typing and hope what I write makes some sense.

I'm gay, and though I've known that for years, I've only learned to accept it and be comfortable with it over the past six months or so. At the beginning, I started using ******, and have met great people, but I've never had the balls to actually go out with any of them - I end up bailing in them for some bullshit excuse I make up on the spot. A little bit of this was because of internalized homophobia I think (I'm over that now), but most of it was because of my generally low self-esteem, especially physically. No matter how attractive I actually am, I've always had trouble seeing myself as adequate. I've recently lost a lot of weight (yay!), and that's done great things for my self-esteem - I feel a lot more confident about myself now. But I still have doubts about myself, and I really don't want to let them take over my life and force me to be alone.

So anyways, I met this guy on ******, we'll call him Sebastian. He's going into Social Work at a university about an hour away from me, but I do drive, so I don't really mind travelling to see him. He loves the same things I do, we're both politically leftist, and we both find each other's work really interesting. I'm a premedical student, applying to med school in a year, and so I really love hardcore science - and so does he. He's going into social work, and wants to focus on LGBT support, which I'm super interested in as well. Hey, I've said before that whatever type of medicine I end up practicing, my office will have the little "safe space" stickers and all of my staff (receptionists, nurses, etc.) will be trained to uphold that. So we're super, super, super compatible.

Our quirks even extend downwards to the outright bizarre, and I love that about him. He has a thing for earlobes. I have rather peculiar eating habits. And we're both okay with each other's quirks, which is awesome. He's someone I can be totally and completely honest with. I trust him enough to let me guard all the way down, and for me that really says something because I'm generally a really guarded person.

We both have issues though. For me, I have OCD, panic disorder, and mild depression. My OCD is well-controlled with medication, but my panic disorder gets unruly at times, and I do have the occasional panic attack. He understands each facet of my mental illness, and has a way of knowing exactly what to say to calm me down.

He has severe bipolar depression that is only partially controlled by medication. I have some experience with that, as my dad also has really bad bipolar depression. And I like to think that I genuinely understand him on that level.

Yesterday, he found out that his dad used to beat his mom. The two divorced when Sebastian was 3, and he's really close with his mom. He lives with his grandfather though (not sure why - I'm yet to find out the answer to that question), and here's where it gets messed up: his grandfather knew his dad beat his mom, but he did absolutely nothing about it. He's really upset right now, and he saw his psychiatrist today, who has convinced him to see a therapist (probably a good thing). He's been crying on and off all day yesterday and today.

I'm trying to be as supportive as I can, but I can't help but feel that he's putting on a bit of a brave face for me. I'm at a loss as to how best I can be there for him and what he would want to hear at this point - any advice? It saddens me to see him this upset, and I really want to help him - I just don't know how.

Now here's the zinger: I've been chatting with him over text for about 9 weeks, and I feel closer to him than I have ever felt to anyone ever. But I haven't actually met him yet.

There's nothing that's actually preventing me from going out right now and meeting him for coffee. He thinks that because I only have a G2 driving licence, but won't be getting my G license for another month, I can't drive on the highway alone, but I checked and that's actually not the case. But here's the thing: I live with my parents and I'm really close to them.

I have no friends. There, I said it. My parents = my friends. I spend practically all my free time with them unless they go out for whatever reason. I have my own car, but short of traveling to and from university, I don't use it to go out by myself very much. The situation is rather stifling because I'm not out to my parents, and I don't want to come out until I have a boyfriend, but getting a boyfriend is way harder when you're not out!!

And if I went out without giving my parents a good reason, they'd be suspicious. So what the hell do I do? How do I go see him? How do I make the jump from texting to dating?

2. AaronMed

C'mon guys, I need advice here! :frowning2:

#2 AaronMed, May 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  3. kumpel

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi aaron. ill give you some advice and i hope it helps..
    dating is difficult for everyone.. but it seems you have taken the first step which is communicating and thats very important.. you say hes only an hour away.. thats not bad at all.. dating is really just hanging out and enjoying each others company. why dont you suggest something to do that you will both enjoy.. even a simple meal together can be great if the chemistry is right.

as for your parents.. i know they are close to you but ur 20.. you dont have to explain everything you do to them.. they are not your jailers... tell them you are going out with a friend. thats the truth.. you dont have to come out to them right away.. you are just dating. remember its just a date.. see how you feel about it after the first date and just enjoy each others company.. good luck.

---------- Post added 13th May 2013 at 01:46 PM ----------

oh.. and all that sad stuff you mentioned.. sometimes it helps just to lend an ear. but try to keep the date light and fun. make him forget all that stuff atleast for a little while

4. AaronMed

I know, but it's not that I feel like they're my jailers - it's that I think there's a really good chance that they're perceptive enough to figure out I went out in a date, which will lead to a conversation that goes kinda like this:

Mom: Hey sweetie, where've you been?
    Me: Just went out to see a friend...
    Mom: Oh cool, who?
    Me: Ummm....
    Mom: Oh my gosh, you're dating aren't you!
    Me: Ummm....
    Mom: What's she like? How'd you meet her?
    Me: I met him online
    Mom: Oh... you're gay?
    Me: Mmhmm
    Mom: I knew it! Was just waiting for you to tell me. So, what's he like?
    --uncomfortable silence--

That's a conversation I want to avoid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. basically, if that conversation happens, one of two outcomes could occur. I could end up marrying the guy I'm dating and everything will be great, or eventually I'll break up with him and my mom will sympathize with me and try to comfort me, which is fine, but the problem is when I get back online to meet someone else, she's always going to know that's what I'm doing on my iPad, and she's nosy enough to come over and point at different pictures and say, "Oh, he's cute! You should message him!" I'd rather my mom didn't get involved in my love life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'd much rather introduce him to my parents when we're committed to each other and things are serious. So, I'm gonna need a way to bullshit through this and keep my dating life a secret until it gets serious. Any ideas?

5. kumpel

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    it sounds like your mum will be very accepting of you being gay. thats the best scenario you could hope for. if shes okay with it then whats the problem? ALL MUMS are embarrassing! they all know what to say and do to push your buttons.. thats what they do.

i was in your position once when i still lived at home.. my mum is very nosy aswell.. but when i go out. its pretty much the same convo.. i say.. im going out.. she goes with who? i say with friends. she asks who. i say you dont know them. bye!

easy! you dont have to tell your parents everything. im very close to my family and they have no clue who im dating. partially because i like to keep my life private.. and its really none of their business.. it really depends on how much you are willing to share..

do what you want. you dont need to explain. you are an adult after all.. i think they will encourage you to go out and make new friends anyway.

6. Mysz

If she does get nosy... assert yourself as an adult, and say that while you appreciate her a lto there are some decisions you just make on your own.

7. AaronMed

Haha, yep, you're probably right kumpel - moms are supposed to be embarrassing :slight_smile:. That sounds like a good plan, but how do I explain that he's a friend if he lives an hour away from me in an area I have never worked in or visited before?

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One possibility: say something like you met online. (I'm not sure if this is actually correct since I don't know precisely how those Phone Apps We Can't Name work. But I think it's honest enough for practical purposes.) You had shared interests, and wow! You are only an hour apart.

Incidentally, one word of warning: you probably know this, but just to be sure, it's always said to be a good idea to take caution when you meet someone in the real world for the first time or two. Public place, take your own car, be prepared to shake a tail if things go really wrong. While the chances are good that after this time this guy will be safe, it's still probably a good idea to err on the side of caution.

---------- Post added 13th May 2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

Or you could invent some other reason to go. Is there anything worth doing or seeing in that place an hour away? Even something as simple as a library to do research for school in? If so, you can give that as an excuse.

---------- Post added 13th May 2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

Another thought: unless your parents are into family focused socialization above all else, they'll probably be happy that you found a friend.

I had a horrible time making friends--hell, I still do, thanks to being a "social misfit," as my father labeled me when divorcing my mother. At one point, my mother was actually worried enough that she urged me to make that a priority, even though ordinarily she was very much of "high school is your first job!" persuasion. If I'd come up with a friend about that time (going into 12th grade), she'd have been more relieved than anything.

Of course, that relief could open floodgates of questions. Who is this friend? Etc, etc, etc. So it's a good idea preparing as you are.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A final thought, I think, and then I'll crawl back under my rock...

First, I understand where you are coming from...and I'd feel the same way. But one issue you are going to face is that there will be a fine line between waiting long enough to know it's serious and waiting too long. Chances are pretty good that your parents would not be amused if the first they heard about your boyfriend would be getting a wedding announcement. Actually, waiting that long can be hurtful. That is precisely what happened when my father got married to his current wife: I had not even met her, thought she was a casual girlfriend, and suddenly one night I get the "we're getting married in two months!" line. At least, they didn't hop a plane to Vegas one weekend... That experience left me feeling totally and completely unvalued, although that feeling is nothing unusual in the relationship with my father.

Back to you. I'd suggest telling your parents fairly early. Assuming, of course, they'll accept it as you think they will (that is, not be LGBT hostile). "I want to tell you that I'm dating someone. We've been going out a month, but I didn't want to say anything because I wanted to feel sure this might last..." sounds a lot better than "we've been dating secretly five years!"

And yes, if things don't work out, your mom might take an interest in your love life. But there are ways around that.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One - go meet the guy for coffee already. :slight_smile:

Two - if your parents ask, say you've met a guy online that you have some stuff in common with, and you're going to go hang out. And if something develops, you can later add "And we're both gay, so now we're dating".

Lex

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And like always, Lexington, your advice is spot on! And so much more concise than my babbles...

12. kumpel

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    yeah meet in a public place. and be safe. (ie protection if the need arises) apps like these are a little iffy since most just look for sex.. but if you guys have been talking for a while then go meet up for a coffee or something.. take it slow.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, condoms and lube might be a good idea. Just to be on the safe side.

And if sex does happen, you can honestly say you went and did some anatomical research!:lol:

14. AaronMed

Haha, I wish it was that easy! I don't generally socialize online other than for dating, so there's no way they'd buy that unfortunately - but a good try nonetheless :slight_smile:.

Good point. I think the chance that something will go really wrong is really, really small, but nonetheless it's good to be prepared.

Good idea! Well he's going to be going to Ryerson University, and lives not too far from there, so maybe I could find a conference or something that I could pretend to attend there :slight_smile:.

Exactly - that should be a fun conversation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Aww, don't crawl under a rock! We'd miss you :slight_smile:.

Very good point - that's probably what I'll do, introduce him after a month or two :slight_smile:. My parents are generally pretty accepting.

My mom freely admits that she used to think being gay was a choice, but that was many years ago, and especially recently because I wrote a term paper she read on neuroanatomical differences between homosexual and heterosexual CRH men, so now she adamantly agrees that being gay is innate.

And my dad's family was very homophobic, but we've excommunicated them from our family (long story), and he's been really great about it. He says an LGBT-targeted joke on occasion, for which I give him a funny look and he shuts up about it haha, but otherwise he's super accepting. One of his best friends when he was younger was gay actually.

Mmhmm - sounds fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. You said there are ways around that - want to share? :slight_smile:

Definitely :grin:.

Good point... but how will I get a hold of condoms? Sure, I can go out and buy some, but where would I hide them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Exactly! After all, I'm taking Anatomy & Physiology next year :grin:.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the chances of something going wrong is pretty remote, given that you've been in contact all this time, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Other tips I've heard is to never leave a drink unwatched (it could get drugged). Also it's probably a good idea to drink nothing stronger than coffee.

As for hiding condoms...a classic location is, I believe, the underwear drawer. Or you could get something that locks. Even a toy safe might work. Or just hide them in whatever you use to take books to school. Just make sure the condoms will be safe (that is not get too hot, or otherwise damaged).

You could also possibly just learn of places to buy them near where ever you meet Sebastian, and plan to buy them only if needed. But it's probably better to be prepared before. And also if you haven't had experience with condoms, it's a good idea to have some experience/experimentation on your own. (If you really have balls that I'd have lacked at your age, you could even write the condoms off to your mom as something you bought to experiment with while jacking off. I don't know about your mom, but many would be so embarrassed they'd find a new topic to discuss ASAP.)

And it's probably not a bad idea making some basic decisions now about what you are willing to do. How soon are you willing to consider sex? What types of sex? Heat of the moment is not the right time to think about this sort of thing for the first time.

---------- Post added 13th May 2013 at 05:46 PM ----------

It seems a little premature to worry about future dating given that we don't know what will happen with Sebastian yet... Cross that bridge when you get to it, and all that. But I think my strong temptation would be take the "I'm just going to wait until I meet someone interesting!" line. Do any on-line dating when I'm alone.

One thing to keep in mind: at that point, you'd be out of the closet, at least as far as your parents are concerned. You'd probably feel a lot more free to do LGBT stuff. So you could join LGBT social clubs. One could even make a point of that, and say that is how one plans to meet future boyfriends. It's not a bad way to do it, and it sidesteps the whole issue of someone peering over your shoulder while you are using The Phone App That Can't Be Named.

16. AaronMed

Well I don't drink at all, so that makes that easy :slight_smile:. And I don't drink coffee either - just water for me, but I'll probably get a bottle, which is way harder to dose.

But my mom washes my underwear and puts them in my drawer :confused:.

Aha! You, my friend, are brilliant :grin:. I actually have a toy safe from my childhood that's still under my bed - I can use that!

I used condoms twice - they were the last two condoms my mom and dad had in their secret drawer, and their sex life is all but dead, so they didn't notice. Unfortunately for me, they haven't replenished them - if they had, I would've used those, haha.

But I do seriously need more experience. How many generally come in a package? And is there a specific type I should be looking for?

Yeah, I'd definitely be one of the many - my conversations with my mom are really open, but they're not that open! Haha :lol:.

Way ahead of you :slight_smile:.

Things I want to try:

- giving and receiving oral, excluding deepthroating
    - anything anal, though I especially want to try bottoming :icon_wink
    - if he can produce recent test results, I might consider letting him bareback me

Things I absolutely won't try:

- scat
    - watersports
    - BDSM
    - rimming (though I'd be okay with being rimmed)

I think you're totally right.

Am I an idiot, or is there an actual chance that a first-time relationship can be long-lasting?

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You aren't an idiot.

Why can't a first relationship be forever? Admittedly, it's not common. But you aren't 16 (a typical age for first relationships.) Also, judging from what I read in post #1, you have connected on a level past looks. I can't say for sure, but I think one thing that dooms many relationships is that all they are based on is something like a cute face. Something lasting, I think, demands something deeper.

In any case, you won't know until you try. Time to meet for coffee...even if all you drink is a bottle of water!

Number of condoms vary per package, but the package should state the number enclosed. I've seen boxes with as few as 3. It seems like the standard is latex condoms. I have heard that ultra thin condoms are not as durable with anal sex. Lambskin condoms are to be avoided; they aren't adequate for preventing HIV.

There are probably variations brand to brand. One may fit/work better for a given guy. Another guy might have a different preference.

There are flavored condoms for oral sex.

And, of course, remember: use water based lube with latex condoms. Water based lube can also be used for masturbation, so you'll be sure to get your money's worth one way or another.

As for barebacking, I'd urge you to put that off. I think that is something that demands an LTR, and a partner you trust. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I remember the 80s (when AIDS hit with a vengeance) too well...

Finally, don't assume your parents' sex life is nearly dead. They are probably about my age, or maybe a bit older, and I assure you: the sex drive is not totally dead in your forties! Actually, they may have found a new hiding place for condoms since condoms had a way of vanishing from the old secret drawer!:lol: Of course, at some point, menopause hits women, and birth control ceases to be a worry.

#17 BMC77, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the advice above is pretty solid (even though I do think you shouldn't rush into the sex just yet with a guy you haven't even met yet. If it goes well, there'll be plenty of opportunities for that later!)

Essentially: as Lex said, but I can't resist expanding on it.

- Honesty is the best route. If you have to lie by omission, do not make it worse by including active lies. Say you met this guy online and got talking about his work, about stuff you have in common, common politics, etc... you can be completely truthful about that. Tell them that since you ended up chatting and texting, you developed the idea of at least hanging out for coffee some time. From experience, I can say this worked perfectly well for me, and I only got a caveat of having to text upon arrival and departure.

Shockingly, not many parents will jump from "my son has friends he likes to meet up with" to "OMG, gay dating!". It's the conclusion YOU would draw because being in the closet is a pretty big thing for you, but for most straight people, it's so far down the list of explanations it doesn't spring to mind until you come out and say it.

- First-time relationships definitely CAN be long-lasting. Though it's not guaranteed as you tend to find out a lot about yourself, about what relationships are like, and about what it's like to get close to another person.
    If the other guy finds much the same stuff, it can work out. But it can also happen that you find out that relationships are different from what you imagined them to be and that you need something different after all.
    That's all theoretical, though. The only thing you really can do is give any relationship your best shot.

So: if things go well: go for it. But also don't hinge your entire life on it. In fact, you might want to reassess your plan of "getting it right the first time", and only then telling your parents. A boyfriend is a boyfriend, and not a crutch for coming out. That way, you risk confusing feelings.
    It can become a case of "I'm not sure he's the one I REALLY want, but I really want to come out and I need a boyfriend to do so, so he'll have to do". Or even worse: "My parents like him, and he's the one they first saw when I came out so I really can't break up with him and disappoint them!"

Not saying you can't come out and tell them you're dating at the same time. Just make sure you're not letting one influence the other.

- In general, this is probably a sign the time has come to assert yourself a bit. I used to have no secrets whatsoever from my parents, and yeah, when I decided not to brief them on every conversation I ever had with anyone, and not to mention every website I visited anymore, my mom took that badly at first. She once reproached me "if you're not doing bad things, then why am I not supposed to know about them?"

But it doesn't work that way. You can't have deep friendships based on trust if you relay every word they say to your parents. You can't develop an own life if everything is essentially managed by your parents by proxy. As open as you might eventually be about your dating life, you have to have privacy to make anything work.
    They might not be happy about that, but they'll get used to it. However, you will have to wrest a bit of independence from them, as they'll never just hand it over, even if they have the best of intentions in keeping a tight watch.

- Purely practical: I never actually bought condoms, but they tended to be given out whenever I donated blood. I hid them taped to the underside of a drawer. Impossible to randomly notice that way. All you have to do is remember which drawer you taped them under :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Phew, and I've written a novel. Still; hoping my scattered thoughts can be of some use!

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I have to agree that it's probably better not to rush into sex. Although this a personal values issue. Some guys have sex with hookups whom they'll know only as long as the sex act lasts. Others might plan to wait for the wedding night.

But I do think even if one plans to wait, it's a not a bad idea to be prepared for the possibility from the start. The heat the moment has caused all sorts of unplanned events to occur...

Personally, I don't think I'd have sex on a first date, or anywhere near it. But being honest, I can't say with 100% certainty it would never, ever, not in a million years happen... In fact, I can almost bet that if the guy dropped his pants, and invited me to do the same, there would be a part of me screaming, "Yes! This may be your LAST CHANCE! Take it!" While there would also be a part saying, "Don't! You were going to wait!", it's probably not a good idea gambling that that part will win the debate. I hope it would...but since the whole situation is new, I don't know for sure. And condoms are cheap and would give peace of mind knowing that I'm prepared for anything.

20. AaronMed

I think you're totally right, and that's why I like him so much - he could care less about looks, and cares about who I am as a person :slight_smile:.

Very true :grin:.

I've heard that oral sex with condoms is pretty unheard of in the gay community... how safe/unsafe is it to have oral sex without protection?

You could be right... in your opinion, do you think there's any difference in sensation with and without a condom?

Very true - trouble is, though, that we both have really high sex drives haha.

The problem with that, though, is that I don't generally socialize online, so my parents would figure out something was up pretty much instantaneously :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Problem is that I'm generally a really passionate person about things I care about, and I suspect they may have caught on when they noticed how strongly I feel about LGBT rights :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Good point; it's good to know that I at least have a chance :slight_smile:.

That's very true; I think they respect boundaries well, and they even generally make an effort to give me privacy, so that shouldn't be a problem :slight_smile:.

They definitely are, thanks :kiss:.

Exactly what I'm thinking. And we both have high sex drives, so it's good to be prepared :grin:.

By the way, do you have any suggestions on when to use/not use the phrase "I love you"? I know that in popular media it's portrayed that saying that too early can send someone running for the hills, but I'm not sure... it'll take me a while to figure out if I love him, but if I do I want to make sure I don't say something prematurely :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.