1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my parents it didn't work out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by madi, May 13, 2013.

1. madi

So I asked a friend to be my girlfriend and she said yes. I was so excited that I told my mom and my mom told my dad. Unfortunately she has never been in a relationship before and tends to push away affection so only two days after we started dating she told me she wanted to just be friends again for a while. I've told most people what happened, but it has been a week and I still haven't told my parents that we aren't together.
    I'm afraid that because of this they won't take my sexuality seriously. I've already dealt with too many people telling me I'm confused. How do I break the news to my parents? It's really wearing on me holding it in.

2. tryhtwfr

I think they could understand the situation because it's not only Gay people that go through this type of stuff; it's natural! Maybe give it a few more days and see where you and this girl are standing before you tell your parents it didn't work out?

Good luck

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I'd say this is a relationship thing in general. Many straight people have this happen, too.

Unfortunately, no matter what, there is always a risk of people saying "it's a phase." You could be married to another woman for 20 years, and still possibly get that.

You might consider using this situation to your advantage. Tell people that while you are sad about the breakup, the relationship, as short as it was, only confirmed what you already knew: that you are capable of loving another female.

4. madi

Thanks for the advice. I really like the idea of telling them that it confirmed what I already knew. I am seeing her Friday to see the new Star Trek movie. If nothing changes by the end of that then I'll tell my parents.