1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallen for an older guy, my first date

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Brads17, May 15, 2013.

1. Brads17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'll jump right in here, lets see.
    I'm 17 and closeted to all but my best friend, I've been using a gay chat app and have been trying to find a guy that's worth a relationship and if I had a relationship I would then come out. However all guys my age are just looking for no strings sex. Not what I'm about. However I've recently been talking to a guy I really click with. He's nice and he's drop dead gorgeous, only problem is. He's 24. I just wanted to ask people's opinion on it. Being a virgin who's never dated, I do worry about the ramifications for me and what people around me will say and think. He's great. A medical student, and yes we have sent each other pictures. However fully clothed and just face pictures. Also hes not been pressuring for meets although he has said he would like to at some point. and just as mates. So to sum everything up. What's your opinion on a 17 year old dating a 24 year old. Is it really as odd as I'm thinking or is it just me making a mountain out of a mole hill as it were.
    Many thanks everyone

2. Enchanted Mark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think its odd at all. I honestly think age does not matter. Love is love. People will judge you dating a guy that is 7 years older than you.

3. Beachboi92

It could be fine, however on the same token you have to recognize 7 years at this point in your life is a lot. You have to wonder what makes a 24 year old guy feel like dating someone who is below the legal age for a sexual relationship. Not only are you in two very different phases of your life (high school versus med school which is even past college) but he can do and likely does do things which you can't in regards to going out, drinking, etc. If it isn't really legal to be in a physical relationship, and the likelihood that you will have stuff in common in your life is lower given where you are, and the relationship would likely be limiting to his freedom, therefore you have to raise an eyebrow about what is going on there. Especially given that someone more experienced like that can also pick out younger less experienced guys and take advantage of their naiveness and lack of experience.

4. mojoe

beachboi does raise some very good and valid points. I would suggest that you get to know him better before making anything official. It is true, there may be something about him that has him interested in someone several years younger than him. I'm not saying that it automatically proves theres something wrong with him, just that caution is always a good thing. However, i will say that it really isn't all that strange. I may be somewhat biased in my thinking there as i'm 25 and currently pursuing someone who is just shy of 20. In my case our level of experience is very similar and we connect on a deep level. Yeah, there will be people who will pass judgement, but if you two have a lot in common and connect with each other in a way as to make a relationship between you two healthy, then to hell with the haters.

5. Brads17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh sorry I should have been more clear, I'm in the UK so a sexual relationship is fully legal, and thanks guys for all the advice so far. I think the reason why we like each other is because he's had the days of reckless partying and I personally am not interested in them. To start with he was very hesitant about dating a younger guy, very very hesitant but as times going on he's become more open too it. But yes you've noted some very true concerns that I will deeply consider, so thanks :slight_smile: