1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to calm her down?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by blikeo, May 16, 2013.

1. blikeo

Hi, I'm having some trouble with my mother, I was away at college until a few weeks ago, and while there I sank in to deep depression as I knew that I was not studying what I wanted to study(networking). I started to have the outlook "none of this matters", after a few months of this my friend told me I should go to a shrink, initially I refused but eventually I did just to "shut her up". I must admit that it helped a lot, I was put on anti-depressants, and given advice on how to move forward. It seems though, that this came a bit too late, as my depression caused me to fail all of my classes this last semester. I lost my financial aid, and my appeal was rejected, so I had to return home to enroll in a CC for next year. Not wanting my mom to freak out, I chose to tell her the reason I was coming back and switching schools was to save money(half truth). She took me at my word and was alright with it. Now, 2 weeks later she saw my grades online( I stayed logged in by accident) and is freaking out and said "how can my smartest child be such a disappointment?". I'm trying to calm her down, but I can't luckily she is babysitting tonight, the fact that I was suffering with depression didn't seem to change anything. Anybody know how I can calm her down?