1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents want grandchildren???

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by coreyl13, May 18, 2013.

1. coreyl13

I'm not out the best way to put it is everybody knows I am gay I just haven't confirmed it. My parents lately have been pestering me about grandchildren if I'm ever having any and when. I've always told them I'm never getting married or having kids of my own I will adopt and do foster care. Can anybody relate to this?

2. Goodnyte

Even though I am 14, my mom and dad do pester me about giving them grandchildren one day. They expect me to give them biological grandchildren, though I want to adopt and do foster care like you will do.

So in a way, yes I can relate to what you are going through. (Even though I'm young)

3. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I relate also but I don't want kids not cause I'm gay just cause I don't like kids:/..

4. Candace

Oh..my parents have asked about this. My dad's side of the family: only my brother and I can produce kids. The thing is that they don't know about me being gay, therefore it's going to hard to tell them that. But...I'm hoping for artificial insemination or adopting.

5. manoverboard09

They're parents.. of course they want grand children.
    My family always asks me when I'm getting married, or if/when I'm having kids.
    My family doesn't know I'm gay, but I think they sort of assume something.

However, I'm not sure if I want kids. I have nephews, so that's good enough for now lol.

6. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm almost 23 and I get questions pretty frequently on "are there any updates on girls?", or statements like "you know your grandparents were already married at your age" or simpily "Get moving we want grandchildren" ect...

In my 23 years I have had one girlfriend for a month and a half about 4 years ago haha. Iv'e of course never told them or hinted to me being gay... guess they think I just have no self esteem. So yep

7. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mom was sad the other day (not like serious sad but she was like <:C) cause neither me nor my siblings wanna have kids! xD I'm the only weird one though(bi). Kids are just too much work. Plus you can't just be all "GIMME GRANDKIDS". It's something you have to plan ahead and be ready for. You need to save up a lot of money and make a room for the baby and think of names, etc. Sometimes I feel sad I won't leave any descendants (that my mom so desperately wants) but my life and happiness comes before whatever it is they're nagging me about. So I'm not gonna have kids just cause they want me too. AND DO YOU KNOW ALL THE FREE TIME YOU'LL HAVE, ALL THE MONEY YOU'LL SAVE, AND EVERYTHING YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH BY NOT HAVING KIDS? It's a lot.

8. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a big deal for a lot of parents, not just yours. It's also mostly fathers, who want their sons to continue the family line.

I'm lucky - I have two straight brothers, so I don't need to worry about kids. :slight_smile:
    When I came out to them though, my dad was troubled for a day or two about losing 1/3 of his genetic line though.

9. AKTodd

I had made it very clear to my entire family that I had no intention of having kids long before I figured out I was gay. Half the kids in my family are adopted or from a spouses previous marriage anyway, so it was never much of a concern.

My best friend and her husband adopted a little boy and he thoroughly wrapped the grandparents around his little finger in 2 sec or less. For those wanting to adopt, most parents are likely to melt for the little one in short order. If you're really attached to the idea of some genetic link, then you could also consider surrogacy as an option, whether or one or more children. Or a mix of adoption and surrogacy if you want.

Todd

10. Adarya

I can relate to this largely; my parents are always saying how they're expecting grandchildren. My father (I'm only out to my mother and sister in my family) wants me to have biological children for sure, but my mother is great in the way that she is for my happiness in whatever I choose to do. I've dropped the "Here, you can have biological kids and continue the line" on my straight sister, so I don't think I have too much to worry about as of right now.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of children anyway, but maybe later in life if I happen to get married then the subject might come up and I would consider it. I'd be perfectly okay with adopting or foster caring.

#10 Adarya, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  11. Sully

They can have grand children from you! They might not be biological but they'll still be your kids.

12. justjade

I can relate. I am biologically female and married to a man, but I'm psychologically androgynous and don't want to have my own kids. No one in my family has really bugged me about giving them grandchildren (My parents already have one grandchild anyway.) except my mother-in-law. She's just going to have to live with having adopted grandbabies. I can't make sense of the fact that I have the capacity to bear children. It just doesn't seem possible. To me, not being able to have my own kids feels natural. But yeah, I know how you feel. I'm sure since I'm happily married the question will come up sooner or later. I feel your pain. I'm just anticipating the agony of having to explain myself. Ugh.....