1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend is not supportive of gay marriage

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bobbybobby99, May 18, 2013.

1. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Do to religious and political reasons, my best friend is apparently against gay mairrage and is far right viewing on everything but capital punishment :frowning2: Should I break off my friendship with him or try to convince him to change, because I cannot be best buds with someone who disagrees with me on something that is fundamental to my very principles (if I have any) And he also asked me if I was a Christian, apparently about to say how homosexuality is against the bible I imagine, to which I replied I was bobbyistic. :frowning2: Any advice on what to do in this situation.

I mean, he isn't really the greatest friend, but one less friend is one less friend, right. I am somewhat reluctant to actually completely break it off with him, but I will if I must :frowning2:. I cannot be friends with someone who is constantly trying to convert me, so I need to take action. Advice is very appreciated.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't think you should abandon all hope just because of that.
    Dude, your sexuality should make up the SMALLEST part of who you are; your personality, what makes you tick, your humor, etc. are much much much more important.

If it comes up and he's a dick to you about your sexuality, of course you should stop hanging out with him, but there is nothing wrong with him having a different opinion than you about something. It honestly should not even come up in your conversation.

I also notice that you're 13 - when you and your friends get older, you will realize how STUPID it is to care about the smallest things like someone's sexuality.
    A person is so much more than their sexuality.

3. Goodnyte

If you cannot be friends who may try to change you and who is not supportive of you, then you should really think about breaking it off. Yes, it is one less friend, but sometimes losing a friend is a good thing, especially if they may be rude about a part of who you are.

If he is going to constantly try to convert you like you say, then you should let it go. If something like this is going to constantly bug you when you are with him, that will put a strain on the friendship.

In the end it is your call to make, I can only give you advice. I don't know if my advice is even good advice.

Anyways, good luck!

#3 Goodnyte, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  4. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

It is just, in base, the fact that he thinks that part of me, HOWEVER SMALL, is unholy, sinful, blasphemy, blah. The fact that I want to get married some day is important to me, and he believes that I should not be able to and that it would be sinful,blasphemy, unholy, blah. I just feel like our beliefs are not compatible because the belief that theology should not involve with government and that there should be equality in marriage. I Hate The Lack Of Acceptance In Gay Marriage And He Symbolises That.

However, until he started talking about politics and tried to convert me and said he was uncircumcised and that Circumsised people had painful erections, we were friends. We were good friends. We were BFFs for gods sake.But however good that friendship is if he is going to disagree with me on some of the principles that I found myself on, I don't think I can continue that friendship. I am out to him, if you couldn't already tell, by the way.

I just wondered if I should bother to convert and convince him, or if he is to far gone. And if he is too far gone, I cannot be friends with a homophobe. I.Can't.Do.It. So should I even bother trying to get him to see the light, so to speak, or not bother. And wow that felt good to type.

---------- Post added 18th May 2013 at 06:02 PM ----------

And thanks Goodnyte, by the way.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really, I would just drift away from him. If he cannot accept you for who you are, then he is not a true friend of yours. In the end, trying to change his views will just cause you more pain. I've been down that road and it's not pretty.

You can't change people that are not willing to change. Maybe someday he will realize that gay people are not unholy and sinful..

6. BadCanadaJoke

If you are the same age...you're too young to be deciding these things...let him mature and grow out of his belief...

7. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At 13 (which is not so long ago) I thought about life and right and wrong exactly the way my parents did. (which was a very conservative outlook on life) But that changed because of life experience and being exposed to other ideas and in the end forming my own opinions.
    My point being - don't try to convert him, just live your life and let that be all the convincing he'll ever need to show that being gay isn't sinful. An old monk or something form long ago said "Go out and testify and if you really have to, then say something as well"
    If he tries to convert you either change the subject; educate yourself to prove his points wrong (you'll find that it is society and not the Bible that is against homosexuality) or distance yourself for him. This part is up to you and depends on how willing he is to listen to reason and how important the friendship is to both you.
    Good luck whatever you decide!!

8. Femmeme

This, exactly this.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they can't accept you for who you are, then they aren't a real friend.