1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahh, Friendly Concern...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, May 20, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I don't why I titled it that.

But anyway, just to ask, do your friends and/or family support your and your sexuality whether that be bringing it up, asking you about it, finding you a boy/girlfriend, or just raising a concern.

Do you receive support and concern, and do you think it is important?

2. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't come out to anybody... But if I do I hope nothing changes. They've never asked me about my sexuality and they've never been asking about finding girlfriends and I hope it stays that way.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my mother, (we were also discussing my divorce) after the initial shock, she told me that she had a woman she wanted to introduce me to for when the divorce comes through....

Obviously, this wasn't going to happen...and she now knows better than to introduce me to anyone :grin:

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aye they support me wholeheartedly.
    If I ever needed anything, I'd feel plenty comfortable talking to either of my older brothers or my mother. I wouldn't talk to my dad - not because he's unsupportive, but because my mother and brothers have been more exposed to homosexuals.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I need help, my friends will give it but other than that, no. That's simply because I don't make it some huge part of my life. My sexuality is probably one of the smallest parts of me. I'm also not wholeheartedly out which may add to it.

They're there when I need them to put it simply.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

My family is supportive but if I needed help with something related to it, I'd probably take care of it myself. That's just the type of person I am.

7. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not a topic I talk about a lot, but people that know about me have always been supportive whenever conversations or current news happen to include some sort of gay rights/issue, and will usually acknowledge it may or may have applied to me at some point.

As far as setting me up on blind dates etc, they know better (for now anyway lol). I do remember a conversation where a female friend was commenting that she felt a bit sad for her single female friends because the good looking nice educated etc new guy at work turned out to be gay - and her boyfriend just suddenly turned to me with this evil grin on his face (one of those "Oh I should so try to set you guys up" looks).

So in most conversations and situations I'd say they are aware of it and don't talk about it more or less, and it's nice because it makes it feel like it's perfectly "normal" (as much as I dislike that word).

8. AKTodd

Out to most of family and all who know are supportive. They've met my partner, like him, ask about him, include him on holiday cards, etc. My mom has basically adopted him and calls him her other son.

The family is all on the other side of the country however and I've been on my own a long time. So support in any other fashion isn't really an issue.

Todd

9. FruitFly

They view it as my sexuality and therefore nothing to do with them. Or more accurately they don't ask about it and I'm not to tell them about it; they support me, but they won't discuss my sexuality or any aspect of my life which reminds them I'm not as straight as they wish I were.

10. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Have not come out to anybody, at least not yet until I am sure of my sexuality.

And my father is not really the supportive kind of parent though. When we talk, especially when he is drunk, he always tells me that if ever I may be gay, he would disown me and tells me that he "does not have a gay son."

Also my grandmother who also told me, not once but a lot of times that I can remember everything she said, that if I were gay she would also "disown me and tie me up on a car and let the car run." - that's just psychotic and I would never let that happen though.

And my mom, I do not know really, when I was a kid, she used to asked me whether or not I am a homo but prior to my dad's statement, I told her otherwise. But I think she is very accepting and she is the one who I can confide in to. It's the same with my older sister.

- it's kind of hard for my part though so I am doing really hard to be able to fend for myself first before I get to that stage of life, the stage of coming out of the closet. especially most of the people that surrounds me is very prejudice about homosexual people and such.