1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Advice Needed: Graduating tonight and what to say to this person?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TwoMethod, May 23, 2013.

1. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys,

I'm graduating from high school tonight, and there's this guy two years below me (he's going to be 17 soon, while I'll be 19 at the end of the year) who I've really helped out a lot, so much so that I would say that the reason he is successful in the school is largely due to me. (I really went out of my way to help him.)

The thing is, he hasn't ever really thanked me or acknowledged this, and I put it down to him just being younger, yet he's kind of disappointed me a bit in relation to various things, and I really wanted to be friends with him and I let him know this and nothing really happened. Which was fine. We have had our ups and downs like in relation to a project we were involved with together, but in the end I would always say that I've been extremely helpful and kind and caring, although maybe he's imagined or over-exaggerated the negative aspects.

Anyway, for a while I thought he was gay, and I really developed a huge crush on him (he's the same guy I've spoken about numerous times in threads here), but I kind of got over that because 1) he knows I'm gay and has never said anything 2) he didn't really want to be friends in the first place, so even if he was gay it was clear he didn't fancy me. 3) Or most unlikely, he hasn't come to terms with being gay, does fancy me, but can't handle it.

SO: even though we never became really good friends, we've spent a ridiculous amount of time together in school and I've helped him out a lot. Yet he didn't really approach me in school today or wish me luck or anything.

I'll see him in about an hour at my graduation, and I'm wondering how I should handle it. Should I wait for him to approach me or what? Should I say anything?

I have this awful feeling I will never hear from him again after tonight. I'm a bit sick of him and chasing after him, so I was thinking of maybe even saying this to him, as in "I wouldn't be surprised if I never hear from you again" kind-of thing. (Even though I know he will be asked to contact me to write a year book article on one of the projects we were involved in together. When I say I have a feeling "I will never hear from him again", I mean that he has no intention of pursuing the friendship or texting me to wish me luck in exams and stuff.)

What should I do?

2. Hefiel

I think before you figure out what to tell him tonight, maybe you should try and figure out what exactly is it that you want from him?

3. AKTodd

Agreed. The sense I'm getting here is that you are bouncing around between resentment that he is apparently ungrateful for all your help and some lingering hope that he's going to confess feelings for you at the last moment or something.

To be honest I think your best bet is to stop worrying about him, enjoy your graduation, and then move on with your life. If he thanks you, good. If not, oh well, it's a pain, but such is life. You are moving on to bigger and better things now and should focus on that IMHO .

My 2c worth,

Todd

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are correct about the bouncing around, but not about what I'm bouncing two and from. I have given up all hope that he's ever going to confess feelings for me. What I've been bouncing between is yes, resentment, and the hope that he might want to become better friends or treat me like one. I just want to be friends, and he doesn't seem interested. Given all that I've put into the friendship and how helpful I've been to him, and given that we get on pretty well at times, I can't figure out why he doesn't want to be friends.

That was good advice, and that's what I did. He didn't really have the chance to approach me, but then again, he left when his duties during the graduation were over, when he could have waited to say something at the end. So, disappointing all round.

It will be really interesting to see if he texts me to wish me luck in big exams I have in about two weeks.