1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really regret hiding my sexuality from my parents for so long

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, May 25, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I came out last year at 22, even though I knew I was gay when I was 13. For some daft reason I was a rubbish son and decided that I couldn't trust my parents and they would disown me if I came out.

Anyway I was deeply unhappy last year, self harming, wanting to be free of all this crap so I came out to them, and I found out that I had completely misjudged them for years. Mum already figured it out herself, and accidentally saw my twitter once , but she waited until I was ready (she didnt confront me) and Dad (who I was scared of) didn't care in the slightest, he just said that he loves me and couldn't be more proud of me if he tried.

They are so awesome, but I feel awful for misjudging them I truely do. If I can't trust my own parents who can I trust? What kind of a son treats his parents like that when they love me so much.

Should I apologize to them about it, but I am worried it will upset then

2. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You told them when the time was right for you to tell them. There's nothing wrong with that.

If you apologised (I don't think you have any need to do so), they'll just say "don't be silly". If that's going to make you feel better, then do it. You're more likely to upset yourself than them.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can apologize if you'd like, but you said yourself - your mother knew and simply waited for you to come to grips with it yourself. Instead, maybe you should just thank them for being awesome parents.

Lex

4. Beware Of You

Its more about my teenage years when I was working so hard to repress my sexuality. I was bullied and stuff for being gay looking, it was horrible!! I would just go to my room and cry, I never smiled, I hated school as a result so didn't work that much. I was hopeless at school, at one point my tutor called my parents in because him and the other teachers had never once seen me with my class mates, I was always on my own, I had no friends nothing.

The amount of times my parents asked me what was wrong, why I seemed unhappy, alone compared to normal kids. I just flat out lied, or just refused to talk about it, the amount of times I was told that they were there for me and I can tell them anything . I just pushed them away. That is what I feel bad for, they cared for me so much and I just spat it back in their face.

#4 Beware Of You, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi

its great that you did it, and 22 is not so late.

regrets, sure, but you can explain .. they will understand your predicament

and they sound really great parents

I did not come out to mine at all ... and they died without hearing it from me - so I feel you are in a really good position !!! you'll have decades of honest openness with them..

you should be proud you did it and did not leave it any longer !!!

(*hug*)

6. EddyG

I just came out to my own parents, who are 80. I really was kind of dreading my dad's reaction, but I was really surprised his reaction was the same as your dad's. And I have to say that after 54 years I'm finding myself feeling very differently about my dad now. In the past I really was angry at him, resented him, but now my feelings have shifted and I can empathize with him in ways I hadn't before.

So I'm glad you got this over with at 22! Congrats!

7. Lewis

I understand how you feel. I really wanted to come out before I turned 20, which I still have time to do (almost 2 weeks to be precise), but I can't do it.

I want to live the next 10 years of my life the complete opposite of how I lived the last. I urge you to do the same instead of regretting it. Some people don't come out until they're in their 40s and 50s.

You're in the prime of your life, enjoy your time now! :slight_smile:

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You come out to people when you're ready, mate. :slight_smile:

And honestly, 22 is pretty darn early once one considers the past few decades for LGBT people (let alone centuries..). It's a good sign of change, both in how early it was for ya, and how your parents reacted to it.

9. Dans le placard

I understand how you feel. I'm 24 (nearly 25) and only recently bucked up the courage to come out. Part of me wishes I had come out earlier; probably not in high school but at university definitely. However, I remind myself that there is no way to change the past, and I am still young no matter what. And the fact that I came out on my own accord with little to no drama is something that needs praise.

10. Rexmond

This makes me slightly worried that my parents may react the same, despite everything they've ever said about gay people. I know that when people are ignorant to the truth they can say what they like because they think they aren't hurting anybody, and for some reason don't see it as wrong.

My dad is the biggest homophobic person I have known my entire live, so it's not possible for him to be accepting. Every time on TV when we'd see gay men, he'd say hateful things so it can't be true. Or am I just telling my self this which is why I hate him.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You & me both (*hug*)

12. Incognito10

This sums up much of my school experience. Sorry you had to go through that, but it is comforting to know I wasn't the only one.

13. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Dw, 22 is still really young, congrats on coming out!!! :slight_smile: