1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Masculine than Feminine Gays??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Counting Stars, May 26, 2013.

1. Counting Stars

I'm a Malaysian Chinese. Now living in Sydney
    I was wondering if there is any difference between straight guys and more masculine gay people... I said Masculine doesn't mean 100% manly. If you act more like a man than a woman, even if it is 60:40 (Masc:Femin) ratio, I think you are considered More Masculine than Feminine.

(*hug*)!!This post is by no means any offense to feminine guys,,,!!!(*hug*) Me myself had "transformed" my masculinity higher and higher since I was young. When I was in primary school, my relatives were all girls and I always play games with them (I think that's what makes me gay), and that makes me so feminine (20:80) I guess... I was somehow hated by quite many people in primary school because of this and I had a hard life for 6 years of primary education.

And so when I reached 13, I got to secondary school and decided that I couldn't bear with life like that anymore. So, I changed, I made the effort to eliminate and stop all actions that made me feminine. When I was 14 I started joining sports, although till now I'm not outstandingly good at any of them, but I can play basketball, badminton, football, swimming, volleyball, cycling and jogging. Well that did made a difference, I really got more friends than I expected, :eusa_danc and my enemies (who insulted me in primary school for being feminine) are now my good friends and they did nothing to remind me of my past. :confused: But then I realised how homophobic this society is. When you''re masculine, you are being lifted high as a school celebrity, but when you'''re feminine, only the tomboyish girls like you, and u get stepped on every single time, well that's what I observed from my place.:dry::dry:

And if you saw me in the past, you will definitely fit me into those stereotype gay people. But now if you see me, you won't probably know I'm gay (although some friends still say that I'm gay, because 20% of my past femininity still remains in my life)...

I don't consider myself masculine now though because eventhough I act like that in public, but when I'm alone I can still dance and sing like Taylor Swift. (!) My crush too, is masculine. And he's athletic, but he has that slight femininity because in my previous thread, I did say that he is a very sticky person and likes to beg something from people with very deep eyes and all his touchy touchy hands, he can even stick his body really close to you, almost pressing. Just like how girls (straight and homo) do: holding hands, hugging, flying kisses....(*hug*)

Are there any more masculine than feminine gay people out there? Maybe (60:50) ratio? I bet there was but I can't differentiate anything on this forum because most people didn't say so... :icon_wink So masculine gays, what differences do you have from straight guys?

Sorry for the long post again.. I always post that long:icon_sad::kiss:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a very difficult question to answer, for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the effeminate gay men are more easy to spot. In a room full of guys, with some masculine gay guys and some feminine gay guys in there, most people would pick out the feminine ones as gay, but fewer would pick out the masculine ones. So unless the masculine ones are all forthcoming about their sexuality, they simply won't be counted.

Secondly, there's the whole argument of "nature vs nuture". How much of effeminacy is innate, and how much of it is learned? It's common for straight people without much interaction with homosexuals to think that effeminate gays are "putting on an act", where as masculine gays are "being themselves". But I'm of the opinion that it's far more often the other way around. In most cultures, for a man to act in an effeminate nature is to invite scorn. And most of us humans learn early on to avoid doing anything that would invite scorn from our fellow creatures. So it's my belief that most effeminate gay men simply are like that. And perhaps after some aborted attempts at acting more masculine (which may have been mocked just as much as the effeminate behavior - "who do you think you're fooling?"), they simply say "screw it" and let them be themselves. The effeminate gay guys are usually the first out of the closet because of this - most people guess anyway, and so they can simply say "yeah, I'm gay" and start living out and proud. Masculine gay guys can usually pass for straight, and so the closet can be a lot more comfortable for them.

You yourself provide something of an example in both directions. You say you're masculine, but you've stated it was a learned behavior. You forced yourself into sports. You worked actively to eliminate any effeminate behavior in yourself. You literally are "straight-acting", with an emphasis on the "act". As for the effeminacy you exhibited before, was that learned? Hard to say. The fact that you fell into playing with your female relatives rather than trying to get them to play sports, or simply going off and playing on your own, suggest that maybe you played with them simply because you enjoyed it. And, at the risk of stating the obvious here, there's nothing wrong with that. I certainly don't believe playing with your female relatives is what made you gay. I think it's far more likely to be the other way around - the fact that you were gay (even back then) made it easy for you to accept playing with your female relatives. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Feminine femme fem femy here :slight_smile: And I suppose we do come out of the closet faster, since i have set a date of the 18th for coming out to dad, who, if accepting, I will ask to discretely tell the rest of the family. But yah, I doubt that my liking bratz dolls and varies as a child were learned...

4. Counting Stars

Thanks Lex for the long but agreeable statement :grin: At first I thought I was straight acting because I wasn't used to it, but now I'm doing this for 5 years, it's very difficult for me to go back and act like the old self again... I sometimes think back of what i did in my childhood years and would ask myself: Why and how did i have the guts to do that?! So, am I still completely acting now? I don't know too haha ><

And I didn't "force" myself into sports. I was just blending in what most guys do, playing around. I'm not expert at any of them but I enjoyed playing with my friends. I don't play well but we still cooperate as a team, which makes me feel relieved everytime I made mistake in the sport... Well but I could admit i did force myself into football, not that I don't like it, it's because those who play football aren't friendly to me and they only accept " pro people" into their group, which resulted in I no longer join football anymore. (I still love Chelsea though <3)

I know it's nothing and its not wrong to act effeminate. I can ignore everyone that hated me and live in a world of my own. But I didn't choose that so I changed. I changed not because I think been feminine is wrong, I did it so I can enjoy life. I enjoy my school life now. I couldn't wait to leave my primary school when I was 12, I would always wait for the bell to ring, and I would finally get away from the sight of school, and most of the mean people; it's the opposite now in my secondary school life, I don't wanna to graduate and would always sigh when the bell rang. I just think that all of my difficulties are finally worth it, but also resulted in becoming a guy that most people think I'm straight and I could never come out now because I have many friends and I can't bear to see the past repeating itself again. :slight_smile:(*hug*)

5. photoguy93

I'm definitely not masculine...and it's just been a whole part of my life. I'm not extremely feminine.. I just say that I have the brain of a girl who doesn't like to clean. :slight_smile:

It was nothing I learned. I tried sports! I just fucking hated them. Even before I even knew what being gay was, I loved Barbie and all dolls. I went outside to my swing set..sometimes, but it was always covered in bugs and I just couldn't take it.

I was just me. I agree with Lex - I think that, often times, masculine guys are actually the ones who are faking it. I say this because in my time at looking at hookup sites, a lot of masculine guys say "masculine bottom." To me, that's completely contradictory - a masculine guy who wants to be submissive? Now, before anyone jumps up and says "but I am masculine, and I am a bottom, and I am not submissive!" just think about what I am saying.. ok?

I also think you bring up a good point. Often times, I wonder if there truly is some tension between masculine guys and feminine guys, due to how well masc guys fit in..and we femme guys don't. I'm pretty obvious. I came out to my friends when I was 14. We are the ones to get picked on. We are the ones to be targeted...we take the heat.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a quick disclaimer: bottom does not equal submissive, masculine does not equal domineering, and neither has anything to do with sexual orientation.

I'm honestly not sure what the ratio is, but, assuming EC is a good indicator, there are probably more guys somewhere in the middle, with a mix of both traits than there are men on either extreme.

The difference between masculine gay men and masculine straight men? One group is attracted to men and the other group is attracted to women. Seriously, you probably pass seemingly 'normal' gay men a day without realizing it.

7. Counting Stars

I can't help but to agree with this >< I know your feeling mate! And I have a bro, which is 10 years younger than me, he seems to be repeating my traits and behaviours which are obviously effeminate. He loves Barbie balls and wearing fairy butterfly stuff all on his body. I'm pretty worried that he's becoming a feminine gay guy when he grew up, which means he's repeating everything I did. I can;t make this happen, because I knew my parents would be sad when I come out, they would not allow their 2nd son to be the same too! :frowning2:

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

i mean barbie **DOLLS** gosh not balls! But I think he loves their balls too == which worsen the situation , LOL!

8. tryhtwfr

When I think of the word masculine, I think of someone who is bulky with muscles and has a deep voice. When I think of the word feminine, I think of someone who is very skinny with a good fashion sense and a high pitched voice. I don't mean to offend anyone by the way but these are the ideas I've conjured in my head.

However, honestly the perfect guy for me would be someone with a masculine figure with a feminine heart. As in, not being grossed out by the romance side of things but also embracing the manliness of being a male if you know what I mean

9. Counting Stars

At first i also thought of that too! But here i mean masculine as a guy who acts more like guy, not neccessarily into sports. Well how about you then? Do you classify as a masculine figure with a feminine heart? Haha. That term is funny but agreeable. :thumbsup:

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with gravechild, I am a masculine Gay Guy, which does have it's downside where being Gay is concerned, people automatically presume I am Straight & this is what has made it so hard for me to come out of the closet, I think being Feminine is winning half the battle, people presume you are Gay due to media Stereotypes, therefore it;s easier to come out, I accept that this would make you a target for Homophobes & I wish that this would not happen, I don't fake being Masculine, as has been mentioned, I just am, I cannot help being Masculine, just as a Feminine Guy cannot help being Feminine :slight_smile: but we are both Gay, just at two different ends of the spectrum (*hug*)

11. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I wish they had one of a green one hugging a red one but....:slight_smile:

(*hug*)

12. Counting Stars

Thanks for the thoughts guys! But still I wanna know if there is any behaviour difference between masculine gay and masculine straight people. Like, how will gays normally react to some circumstances compared to straights... Etc. I wanna find at least a tip to know if my crush's gay.... ><

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's hard to say, I can only give examples of somethings that make me different to my Straight Friend.

1) I don't like Sports.
    2) I am sensitive & would cry if a movie is sad.
    3) I tend to check out other Guys.
    4) I am non confrontational & would rather talk than fight.
    5) I am not afraid to wear Pink.

I am not saying that a Straight Guy would fit any of these but as a Masculine Gay Guy I do, but my Straight Friends don't :badgrin:

14. Counting Stars

Thanks for some of the tips! That's the kind of answers I want :slight_smile:

15. MichaelB

I believe in this quite sincerely; most of my straight male friends openly admit that they try and appear to be more masculine than they actually are.

The most prominent example I can think of is a bloke who is essentially very feminine. He cares a great deal about his appearance, he gossips and bitches a lot, he's judgmental, has a high voice, no real interest in most sports (outside of keeping fit to look good) and no body hair (whether natural or shaved, I've never really bothered to ask. But I feel like it's relevant anyway). He is the quintessential 'feminine man' by society standards. Yet over the past 5 years, he's got more and more masculine, and if you ask him why he will openly say that he felt like he required to be more masculine to fit in/appear more attractive to females.

I think it's a rather sad occurrence, really. I'm grateful that I don't feel the need to buy into the same shit that apparently, a lot of straight blokes do.

I mean, I just can't fathom why he's repressed and changed his character entirely for the benefit of others. What makes a person do that? >.>

But to answer your question, I don't think it matters. I'm masculine and nearly everyone was surprised when I came out, and I would say that emotionally I'm more 'masculine' than most of my straight friends.

I don't cry. I don't like talking about feelings. I find chit-chat boring. Gossiping is shit. I enjoy sports, both watching and playing them, etc etc. So by society standards, I'm a masculine person.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe a persons personality is an indicator of their sexual orientation. I provided one example of a straight bloke who's very feminine, and then there's me, a queer bloke who's more masculine than he is.

The only real and truthful indication is if he tells you he's gay. And if he is gay, but doesn't tell you, then he's in the closet and will probably imitate straight men to the very best of his ability, thus rendering the question rather obsolete. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Good luck though man, hope all ends well :grin:

#15 MichaelB, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. photoguy93

I'm pretty sure I said "before anyone jumps up and says ....." No offense, but I didn't want this to become yet another "we must correct him" post. I am well aware that not everyone fits into every little box. I totally get that. We can, as always, agree to disagree. I personally think there is a level of domination/submissiveness in sex. It's not extreme - but I think there's something.
    I just thought it was relevant to bring up some of my thoughts related to this post. I was hoping people would think about what I was saying, as in the whole idea.

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 08:08 AM ----------

I have a question.....what makes you "masculine" then? I read this list and that sounds pretty similar to me, and I definitely consider myself on the feminine side. Just curious. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 08:11 AM ----------

I think that it's definitely interesting with younger kids, now that we know what to look for. I always end up saying "oh, I remember doing that as a kid!" and then I feel, well..kind of bad for saying it. I guess it's kind of a knee-jerk for me. I'm not ashamed...I just don't want people to start getting worried (probably because I live in a really conservative area.)

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

18. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I wouldn't say that masculinity means anything. Like I like racing, the only sport I hate is rugby, and many of my straight friends hate it too. It doesn't matter whatsoever on what you enjoy, you can love all sports and be a very masculine and muscular man, and still be gay.

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dig guys. That's about it. Every other "clue" might be a vague indication of sexuality, or it might be just a quirk that a straight person has. My straight brother actually has more gay characteristics than I do. :slight_smile:

Lex

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where would I fall? I'm very thin, have a deep voice, prefer Irish whiskey, listen to hard rock and metal, keep to myself, and love working out and bmxing. By male standards, I'm average, though that didn't spare me the occasional slur for being an individual and *not* being a stereotypical guy growing up (not constantly getting into fights, chasing tail, bashing homosexuals, talking obscene, or feeling a need to 'proving' myself). By female standards, I'd probably be considered a tomboy or a 'butch'.

Though, I never did get the whole car obsession or sports mania many of my peers had, another reason not to feel as 'one of the guys'.