1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I "breakup" with my friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Techno Kid, May 26, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

Hi EC, I've been reading other people's posts on hear for sometime now and thought I would just try the site for myself. I spend a lot of time in my life trying to understand the kind of person I am. Having learning disabilities, ADD, and a general social awkwardness, I spent a great deal of time growing up by myself. So I’ve always felt different and kind of in my own little world. Getting back to the main topic, last year I started coming out as bisexual, but it was not until I came up to North Bay (where I am for college) that I found an LGBT community that was actually doing stuff. Near the beginning of the first semester I found the campus pride group by accident really and that inspired me to start telling more people about my sexual orientation.Telling more people and embracing a few of my other quirks have allowed me to be myself more and be happier, regardless of what the jerks of this world think.

Having said all that, I have lots of trouble maintaining friendships. I only I one real friend on campus that I spend time with on my spare time and she and I don't really have much in common (besides liking movies and maybe sense of humour).

Even though she is a Baptist Christian she seems for the most part to be cool with gay people, but she does not really like me to talk about cute guys with her (this is somewhat changing) and does not like me being a bit effeminate. One day the topic of sodomy got brought up somehow and she told me that she thought sodomy and rape go hand-in-hand. She also said that she did not think I as a bisexual was being discriminated against (I confronted her about this, but did not change her mind). It really hurt me to hear her say these things; more so the second one. Another thing she says sometimes is that I am not a "pretty boy" and that she is not an object of great desire either (so we are in this together). That kind of offends me because I don't feel unattractive most of the time.

So what do you guys think I should do about this?

Thanks for any help you can give!! ^-^

2. julia

She sounds like a bitch to me. She is not worth your time if she constantly tells you that you are not attractive and not liking that you a little bit effeminate. No one should be friends with someone who can not fully accept them. I know that she's your only friend at college, but personally I think no friends is better than a shitty one.

3. Techno Kid

Thanks Julia, there are lots of people in my classes that I would consider friends (we just don't hang outside of school). One thing I forgot to mention, when she is nice I really like spending time with her. Maybe I should give the friendship "a trial" and see if things get better over time.

4. julia

Oh yes, you could definitely do that. If I were you though, I wouldn't try to surpress your 'gayness' around her. That, I'm sure, can get very tiring.

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe she mean that there is not as much discrimination in Canada-even if she did mean that,she is not supportive,kind.. she does not seem like a real friend to me.

6. Techno Kid

I agree Julia, I would never pretend to be someone I'm not around her! = D

---------- Post added 26th May 2013 at 04:49 PM ----------

It's possible that she did not mean it the way it came out, Zam. Right now I'm kinda feeling like if we never saw eachother again I would be ok with that.