1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is she flirting with me??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AugieElle, May 26, 2013.

1. AugieElle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Alright so I am rather new at this..a little background...I have only dated guys in the past but knew that I was attracted to girls as well but had never acted on it..however over the past year I have kissed other girls and have kind of come to terms I guess you could say that I am bisexual. I am not explicitly out, however I am almost positive my best friend and a few of my close friends know or at least might suspect, I plan on telling my best friend very soon, and am thankful that I know my friends will all be supportive/support gay rights, it's just a matter of me working up the nerve .
    Anyway, I recently began a summer job working at a restaurant. the atmosphere at the restaurant is very accepting (at least from what I've gathered in my first two weeks), and several staff members are openly gay.
    One of the girls I work with, I immediately was attracted to. About a week ago we worked together more one on one and she causally mentioned her ex girlfriend texting her- I could tell she was evaluating my reaction- my response was along the lines of yeah, relationships are tricky etc. We worked together again a few days ago, and she mentioned that she was still struggling with feelings for her ex but was also feeling like she was ready to move on, and vented to me basically about her feelings with that situation, and asked me if I had had any similar past relationship experiences like that...I told her of my the falling out of my longest relationship and didn't use pronouns at first..just said it took me a long time to get over the other person bc I was really invested in it. She wanted me to tell her more/was kind of pressing it so I went on to say it was a guy. Also within the same day we had this conversation she would touch my arm and joke around with me, and the touching the arm/brushing by I haven't seen her do with others. When she talks to me she mirrors my body language as well...and before she left she told me she had a secret to tell me and told me how she used to have a huge crush on another coworker and the other girl wasnt interested and it could have been messy but the uninterested girl was really nice about it. Also our eye contact is intense...basically what I am asking is she interested at all? How do I let her know the feelings mutual if she is since I feel pretty clueless knowing if a girls flirting with me ? I get the intuition she is interested but I don't know if I'm reading it all wrong and don't want to blow my chance if she is or ruin a friendship if she's not..?

2. Adarya

It sounds as though she already trusts you quite a lot, enough that she's spoken to you about her past relationships and whatnot. Also, I think that her judging your reactions could be a small clue that she is interested because she wants to see your stance on the subject, but could also be a way of seeing if you were homophobic or not in case she wanted to start a friendlier relationship. The touching on your arm and joking is again what I would see as a budding friendship growing, and making eye contact and mirroring each other's stances is normally a sign of being invested in the conversation or what the other person is saying. What really stands out to me is that she brings up her crush/feelings in the past for another worker, and shares her experience that it could've turned out badly. In my mind I feel this is a way of opening up a tiny bit, leaving that space open for a possible relationship if you decide to pursue it (but then again, my reading could be totally wrong; like you, I'm not very good at knowing when a person is flirting or sending signals).

What I'm trying to say is that this relationship that you have with her could be her opening up more and becoming a better friend, or there is the small chance that she is flirting with you and wants to see where a more romantic relationship would go. If you trust her enough to believe that it won't ruin the relationship then I would suggest plainly asking her if she is flirting with you, or tell her that you're getting mixed signals. She would probably either tell you that she does have feelings for you, or if she doesn't it could probably be something you can brush off because you wouldn't ask if you didn't have reasons to expect something more. Anyway, I think that talking to her about what you're feeling and thinking could have a lot of benefits.

3. dapulu

I'm going to take a guess and say she's interested. I have a lot of trouble keeping friends when I get a crush on them, so I would go and ask if she would like to go out some time... but that's me.