1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with not being out to parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by samelove, May 27, 2013.

1. samelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now, I'm not out to anyone in real life, and I am getting really tired of being in the closet and not being able to be truly open with anyone. I'd like to come out to a few people in real life. However, I'm not currently in a position financially where I can come out to my parents. I know they are both super religious and really against homosexuality and would not take the news well at all. I'm working on being at a place financially where this won't matter so much, but for now, it does.

The problem I'm having is I feel apprehensive about coming out to other people other than my parents because then I feel like I would be hiding even more from them. We have a good relationship in general, and I'm afraid they would be even more upset if they later find out about me being gay through someone else or that other people knew before they did. So, I'm battling right now between feelings of desperately wanting to be out to at least one other person in real life and feeling guilty for hiding from my parents. I think part of the guilt is also from feeling as though by saying, "I'm gay," to someone else will make it all the more real, and I feel bad about doing something (or in this case being something) that my parents would not be happy with at all (even though I'm an adult now, I still like to please). I was just wondering if any one else has went through this and how you dealt with it. I hope this post made sense at least somewhat. Thanks so much for any replies.

2. evora

I'm in a very similar situation so I can relate.(*hug*) Except for me, it's not my parents I feel most guilty about but my grandparents. Sorry I'm not very good at giving advice.:icon_redf Just wanted to say you're not alone.

As to how I deal with it, I don't. Ignoring it is what works for me the best. I know it's not a good thing to do but it's the only way I can deal with the guilt.

#2 evora, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. jokesonyou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know what you mean. I've recently been in the same situation. What I did was find someone extremely close to me who I know wouldn't say a word if I asked them to, and told them. For me, it was my best friend, but it could be a coworker or a family member that isn't one of your parents. What people are saying is right, it gets easier the more people you tell. I haven't told my parents either, but I plan on it when I move out.
    Though I do suggest that you only tell them when you get to the financially independent state you're headed to.
    The best advice I can give you is that time is forgiving. If you do choose to tell your parents, good on you- you'd be much more courageous than I. And even if they don't like it, you'll have plenty of people around you who will care for you either way

4. Antony

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my friend I was gay it help because he's gay I have wornded from age 11 now 21. he help me come out to my Family it was 4 weeks ago now .and my brother is gay too

5. Forestiger

Out Status:
    All but family
    Wise choice on waiting till you can support yourself. As for me, I don't feel guilty about hiding it from my parents. Maybe I'm just a horrible person. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But coming out to other people felt really good for me, since it affirmed that most of the people who cared about me didn't give a flying fig about my sexual orientation.

Good luck!

6. samelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much for your replies everyone(*hug*). It's good to know that I'm not alone in this situation.

7. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wasn't out to any of my home friends apart from one until a couple of months ago where I just broke down and I was like I cant carry this stress around with me anymore its just hurting to me so I sent a group email to my friends and that helped a lot when it came to being less stressed because them accepting me so easily made me realise being gay is only part of me and isn't that big of a deal so it made me more likely to be able to telly my family , having said that I haven't told them yet because my dad would react badly and I don't want my relationship with him too change , I do feel bad that I am lying to my dad but then I realise I am only protecting myself and if he was a super open left wing man than I wouldn't be lying its not just my fault that I am not out to him I think when I come out to him he mayby hurt that I told my friends first but I don't think he would find out I just think he might ask who else knows , but most gay people seem to do friends than family cause are generation seems to be more accepting and are friends are the ones we learn to lean on in are teen years and talk to about sex and relationships , its normally for people even with great relationships with parents to tell friends first because if you didnt have a good relationship with your family you wouldn't care what they thought so coming out to them wouldn't be so hard. Look after your self and do what ever feels best for you , guilt is hard thing to live with and only hurts you , you have no reason to feel guilty your protecting your feelings and there's.

8. samelove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much for your reply Britishskittles. You're right that it's not our fault that we can't be totally open with our parents since we are only protecting ourselves.

I was also wondering if this would be even more of an issue when I find someone with whom I'd like to start a relationship. I would feel bad not being able to share that person with my family, and I hope the girl I'd be dating would understand my situation. I guess I will just have to take it one step at a time and continue to work on not feeling guilty for being who I am. I'm sure once I am at a better place financially things wont' be quite so stressful as well, and I may feel as though I can be more open.

9. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    your welcome , nice picture by the way I miss the L word , when it comes to being in relationships in the closet I really depends on the girl but everybody has been in the closet at some point so she should understand where your coming from , then again some gay people I have come across in my life seems to think everyone should be out and don't understand that not everyone has accepting parents. I would try and not let those people get too you and wait till your in stable relationships and have your own finances before coming out to your parents so you relying on them for finance support and a house over your head where you feel safe to come out (if you live at home that is). I have never been involved with a fully closeted girl but I can imagine it must be stressful and I wouldn't want to feel like somebodies secret , and I don't seem to be the only gay person who thinks like that so I imagine if you find someone's who you want to hang on to unless she's very patient you may have to come out to you friends.