1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's complicated

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Figureskater, May 28, 2013.

1. Figureskater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, I'm new here, and I need urgent advice... I'm bisexual and currently have a girlfriend who I've been dating for 11 months (first relationship, and about to break up with her)... Now.. I'm fifteen ok, and every Wednesday night, I have ballroom lessons with her, and our friend who is ten years older than me. I have the biggest crush on him, more for his personality than his perfect body... Anyways... I want to know how I can find out if he's gay/bi whilst not raising suspicion, and how I would be able to not damage my relationship with my gf (soon to be ex)

Hope someone can help me :slight_smile:

P.S. please don't accuse me for being a stupid teen going after the hottest friend I can find... It's not true

2. thatguykyle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Why do you want to know whether he's gay or bi? I sincerely hope you aren't planning on trying to date him if he is. You said he's ten years older than you; 15 and 25 is not only way too wide of an age difference for it to be a healthy relationship, but it's also probably very illegal where you live (I say probably because laws differ in different parts of the world, but in most places, 15 and 25 would be statutory rape). And if you aren't planning on trying to date him, then there's really no reason you need to know whether he's into guys, is there?

4. Pain

Pain Guest

If you are out to him, you could tell him that you need someone to talk to about issues at school (even if you make them up), how to come out to parents (if you haven't), or anything like that. Why do you want to find out discreetly? Plus, a ten year age gap is a lot considering your own age now.

5. Figureskater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah... That won't work for me... The only other guys are old and mostly potbellied... I'll have to somehow plan an outing with him so I can do that :/

---------- Post added 28th May 2013 at 11:31 PM ----------

I need to be sixteen in order for it to be legal for sexual intercourse, but relationships aren't always about sex are they? And ten years as an age difference is nothing... There's roughly fifteen years between several of my aunts and uncles, and they're relationships are perfectly fine!

6. apliz2005

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should talk about it, slowly. This said if you really care about him just remember that he is the one who would have to deal with the justice system, and please don't think that if no one talks about it that it will not become known. I suggest you find someone closer to your age group for a good time and just fantasize about older people if you must. There is nothing wrong with your desire but the consequences of making it real is beyond dangerous for him. Please think about the consequences ...twice :slight_smile:

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Tens years between older adults isn't as significant as ten years between people our age. If one person is 40 and one person is 50, the older person is only 25% older than the other. In your case, this guy is 67% older than you! That's way too big of a difference proportionally. Not to mention the world of awkwardness you'll put him in if you ask.

Look, the vast majority of 25-year-olds don't want to date 15-year-olds, and those who do would only do so because they want to take advantage of you. Any sane adult would say no in this situation. There's no way this situation is going to work out well if you pursue it. It's fine to fantasize, but you really aren't going to gain anything by asking him out. Listen to apliz2005; if you want to ask someone out, find someone in your own age group.

8. Eric

Even if he's gay, I really doubt a 25 year old man is going to want to be in a relationship in which he can't have sex with his partner.

And to expand a little on what Owen had to say, you're both in completely different stages of your lives. You're still in high school, a few years from graduating and presumably going to college. Given his age, I assume he's graduated from college already and works now. That's a ma-hassive difference in maturity and life experience. It's sort of akin to the difference between you and, say, a 5 year old. There would still be only 10 years between you, but the way you and a 5 year old think and behave is completely different (and it goes without saying that it would be highly unethical to date a 5 year old). No matter how mature you think you are, you're still a long time away from being independent and getting your life established. The 25 year old is presumably already at that point.

As has been said, it would be better to find someone in your age group to date. That way, if it lasts a long time, you'll have the luxury of moving forward in life and going through the same stages together. :slight_smile:

9. Figureskater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ahhh... Thanks for that (I'm one of those people that needs everything explained too lol)!
    Suppose I better seek out someone who's not a complete douche around my age now (that'll be hard to find)