1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who would You Tell?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, May 28, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Let me set the scenario...

You are only 12 years old
    You are a boy
    You are almost certain that you are gay

That wasn't really a scenario, but yeah. Who would you tell if anyone if you were in this situation. Would you tell friends, family?

In particular would you tell your sister? It might seem random, but it would really help me and assure me if you gave an honest answer. Don't just tell me what I want to hear, because what I actually want to hear is that you wouldn't tell your sister, but please be honest.

It's not my situation but a potential situation someone I am interested in could be going through.

So would you tell your sister? Please keep in mind the scenario and conditions.

2. FruitFly

If I were a 12 year old boy I would most likely tell my sister about my sexuality far before I told any friends/other family members. Depending on my relationship with her.

3. Rexmond

If I was close to my sister I certainly would tell her in that situation.

4. BudderMC

You do realize how ambiguous that statement is, right?

5. AAASAS

I was in the same situation and I should've told someone it would've helped. So it's good you are thinking about it dude. I would definately choose wisely but opening up early can stop you from a world of hurt in the future; not saying be completely out but at least knowing one person was ok with it can help.

I was 18 when I first told someone and could've used that person support a lot earlier.

Just saying though, no rush, if it really isn't bothering you yet, wait till you are more sure, and definitely choose wisely. Say this to your "friend".

---------- Post added 28th May 2013 at 08:37 PM ----------

He is twelve, I doubt he knows or cares about what ambiguous means. He just wants some help.

#5 AAASAS, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. Femmeme

Seriously?

Have you smiled at him yet? Said hi?

Whether your crush's sister was right or wrong when she told you "he's straight" does not matter one iota if you still don't actually know the kid or talk to him.

7. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Thanks everyone. Femme me I suppose you're right; his sister probably doesn't know his sexuality yet, I don't think I'd tell my sister until I was older. I created this thread to see if anyone would tell their sister. But now I know that it is quite unlikely his sister saying he's straight means anything. She is probably just concerned about her brother, and to be honest, if I was someone's sister and someone came up to me and said I like your brother, I would probably say go away, he's straight. So yeah, thanks I'm kinda assured now.

8. Lewis

Only come out to anybody if you're (he's) sure. You say he's 'pretty sure' which leaves room for doubt (kind of what BudderMC said about the ambiguity).

If he's not completely sure and at the age he is, it's likely that many will trying saying it's a phase or that he needs to give it time to figure himself out (which I agree with to an extent). He needs to be able to go up to them and say 'I am bisexual' or 'I am gay'.

Us older ones that come out can get away with being unsure because we're considered more mature and likely to understand our own feelings, which I'm sure you do, but family members in particular love to patronise anyone under the age of 18.

Tell him to give it some time until he is 1000% sure. At 12, the last thing I thought about was being gay, it would have scared the crap out of me.

9. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

OK, then what would you do if you were 1000% sure? I used almost certain just to like, I don't know.