1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing to go back to church camp...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FindingMyself, May 28, 2013.

1. FindingMyself

Well, this'll be a fun one to set up.

I'm in my mid teens, pretty sure I'm a lesbian. Totally fine by me-the gayer, the better. I'm also a closeted atheist, as one might say, and that would be another thing that wouldn't go over so well with my family. Here's the rundown on that:

Two grandparents (each on separate sides of my family) would immediately try to convert me to a practicing religious (one's Baptist, the other Catholic) straight girl. The other living grandparent would probably be okay with me being gay, but worry about my fate due to my lack of faith.
    My aunts would eventually have to deal with it, and the one who's basically my second mom would probably be super bothered for a bit and just ignore it for the rest of her life.
    My mom knows I'm not hetero, but I've only hinted at the atheism. She's not conservative or super religious, but I think it bothers her to hear me say things against religion.
    My dad wouldn't care either way, but I can't bring myself to tell him I'm not straight. Little too awkward and I can't yet place why.
    My sister probably couldn't care less. She's younger than I am and as long as she doesn't have to hear about my activities, she's good with it all.

So about four years ago my Baptist grandparents took us to camp. It's one that they've been going to for years. Like, since he was a tot, and he's 75 now. It's a church camp, set in the middle of dry, hot Texas nowhere, and I fell in love with it despite all of my aversions simply because of the view and the weather. Something about that Texas feel...if you look past all the hateful, biased, conservative, patriarchal people.

However, now that I've been more actively out and faithless, to myself and friends of course, something inside tells me it's not a place I should revisit. I know it won't change me, and as long as I keep my well-practiced trap shut, I'll be okay. But it sort of breaks my heart in two because while I feel no religion that doesn't support literally every division of human categorization is rightful, I also feel like it'll hurt my family to know I'm different. I dunno, it just feels wrong. But I've been wanting so badly to return and now after lots of back and forth it's pretty much in the cards. It's not only to please my family. I need that dry, Texas air again. It's a peaceful place if I run from the church. I can't say no. Gah! So conflicting. How do y'all deal with religious obligations when you yourself aren't religious???

2. FemCasanova

I think I can kind of understand how you are feeling, because to this day, I don`t feel 100% comfortable in churches. Not due to the fact that it`s a religious environment, because my atheism/agnosticism, or whatever it is that I am religiously, isn`t easily threatened. I have no worries that I`ll suddenly go Christian just because I`m in a church. It`s more a sense of blasphemy, in an odd way, like I somehow feel that because of my own lack of faith, it`s not a place I should be, like if I in some way insult the institution or a god that I cannot prove does not exist by being there. It`s hard to explain. I don`t have much respect for preaching, and especially those imposing their personal beliefs onto others outside of the church. However, I do respect people`s personal faith and their right to keep their sacred ground in peace. I respect the tradition and comfort a lot of people get from having a place where they can find spiritual solace. Maybe it`s somewhat the same that you are feeling, maybe it`s different, but I understand that there`s a conflict there between what you believe and what your family`s emotions towards your lack of belief. How this makes going to this camp uncomfortable for you.

At the same time, you could try to see it from another angle. You have fond memories of this place and even though you do not believe in the religion, you could support your family`s faith by continuing the tradition of visiting this camp. They don`t feel that you are refusing to be a part of it, and you get to visit a place you have fond memories of. Unless they express that they find it uncomfortable that you go there, knowing you don`t have the faith, I don`t see how it could hurt them. I am so not an expert on dealing with religion and family, but it does sound to me like you are finding this camp and place a comfortable place to be and that you want to go back there. A lot of people who lose their faith still venture to churches, camps, etc, just for the emotional comfort. Nature scenery can be very soothing for the soul, the atmosphere in churches is something even I find comfortable, and I am not a church goer. What I am trying to say is that as long as you are sure about where you stand spiritually, and it`s not a "mind-twisting" camp, but more a place for people to bond and enjoy the scenery, with some religious contents involved, then it doesn`t sound that bad, and I don`t think you need to be feeling guilty for wanting to go there.

I hope some of this made sense. One cup of coffee wasn`t enough, it seems :slight_smile:

3. FindingMyself

Well, first, yes that made sense. You seem to have the same ideas I do about it. So far, the two times I've been, no one has been subjected to an alter call or anything. Plus really everyone else is so obsessed with "being closer to god" (fantastic play on words-it's at a much higher elevation than where we all live), I can get away with anything. And nothing is more fun than casually looking at a nice pair of eyes *pretending that's all I would look at* on an unsuspecting Christian girl, right? Don't worry, I'm too shy to try anything devious. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Also, the thing about people losing their faith and venturing back...I don't think I've ever had faith but I see what you mean. It's always been a secular thing for me, despite the religion forced into the dusty cabins and large tabernacle. As long as I don't tell my family I'm gay..ish, I won't be subjected to any sort of...conversion attempts. Thanks again.