1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like to Touch your Friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, May 29, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Another seemingly random topic to bring up. Call me weird, but I sort of like to touch my friends. Not in that way, just I like hugging them and sitting/walking close to them.

Does anyone else like that? I don't fancy them but I kind of have feelings for all of my friends more than just friendships. I would say I love my friends, but that's just because I'm a sensitive and caring person. But I just feel really close to them and actually enjoy getting close to them.

It seems a bit confusing, but I don't know whether it's, er... Normal.

What do you think???

2. jacekalaz

Hey i definitely know where youre coming from and no i dont think its weird! As humans we naturally want to be physically close and intimate with others, especially our friends. I know I have certain friends i like being close to and touching in a platonic way like you described but others not so much. I think it really just depends how close you are as friends with the person. Although i must say you should be aware of your feelings and of developing stronger feelings like romantic love for said friends especially if theyre straight because theres nothing worse. But it sounds like youre honest with yourself so thats good!

3. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Thanks a lot! I certainly don't love my friends in that way, and as far as I know the are straight but at least now I know that it is OK to want to get a bit closer to them, as long as you're no feeling them up (sorry that was rude!). And I think they are fine with it too. No harm can be done really I suppose.

4. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah dude their is absolutely nothing weird about that. It just means that your emotionally close to your friends. It happens to me sometimes too. I will just feel the need to hug one of my friends. And girls too even though I'm not attracted to them. It just friendship.

5. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I agree, I think it might have something to do with that... I just like the feel of people (...). Do you know what I mean? They just feel, comforting, and as though they care for you.

6. dogmommy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same way too. I am very touchy feely and very affectionate. It's not weird at all.

7. Knight Pan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto to that. I feel the same way usually so no. It's not weird.

8. Sully

I don't like physical contact with my friends, which probably is weird. I'm more than happy to hug people but there's a few (even my best friends) that I really don't feel comfortable when we touch. I don't have a problem with physical contact if its warranted and I want it, but for example if someone's leg touches mine on a train I feel really uncomfortable.

9. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the same way although I have to be initiating it. If someone else, even if it's my friend, tries to touch me I usually shy away. I do that with everyone except for whomever I am dating at the time. Odd.

10. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's normal... I like to think of it as a sisterly/motherly/daughterly like bond. My best friends and I hug and sort of snuggle all the time, and it is in a totally no -sexual way, (but that is also partially why I am scared to come out).

11. KingdomKeyDK

Me too. Me and some of my girl friends are always touchy feely, but not the guys. I would get a boner. My guy friends are sexy. That isn't weird...

12. JPC

JPC Guest

No, I'm notorious among my friends for being someone who won't do physical contact, in a jokey way though, not in a rude and ignorant way.
    In school a bunch of the guys in my class would try to randomly sneak up on me and try to hug me but it never worked, same with the girls. I only ever give hugs when either I'm drunk or the other person is a crying female friend. It's kind of started again now with a new friend I have, he insists upon trying to hug me whenever we're saying goodbye but I'm not having it :lol: we've compromised on a kind of a handshake type thing, but he still goes in for a hug every time.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was never a hugging kind of person, but I am coming around to the idea now (*hug*)

14. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

"Sully" I totally agree with the fact that I hate it if strangers or people that I don't really know touch me. There are even some friends of mine that I don't like touching, and other acuantainces that I would. I think it depends on your relationship with them, and (sorry for this) their looks.

15. DelFelidae

I don't touch people unless we're really good friends, even then it's kept to a minimum. However I have a lot of friends who seem to constantly be hugging or something, so if anything me not being all "touchy-feely" is seeming more unusual.

16. stumble along

I have to be in the mood for any sort of touching, which is almost never. I'm known among my friends for completely sidestepping,ducking, and running away from any sort of hug. So its kind of a game for them and sometimes some people catch me off gaurd and if I dont know them well I freeze up and endure it. If its a friend I'm a squirmy bastard haha.

17. Martjain

I love hugging my friends, sadly, as all my friends until recently have been males, I couldn't have done it, cause, you know, they tend to think it's gay. But now that I'm beginning to make female friends I'm starting to hug more, yay!

18. Juggalo

I personally don't like to be touched. I have actually learned to go out of my way to be more, uh, touchy, because people were commenting on it. Up until last year, I don't think I'd ever even patted someone on the back. If I'm drinking though, my sense of my own personal space goes out the window and I probably wouldn't notice or care if some complete stranger sat on my lap. That hapened once, and that was amusing, but thats another story. As for why I've gone out of my way, its cuz of my best friend, who also happens to be the bane of my life. He hugs me, he'll wrestle me, he even once grabbed my crotch during the superbowl (wtf). But god fucking forbid natural body contact- as an example, we were watching Iron Skies tonight, and his foot barely touched my leg and all of a sudden he was completely shifting the way he sits and wouldn't look me in the eye for a few minutes. But then again he used the word fabulous to describe himself twice today, and wants a boa now that I explained what a Liberace was. I've decided he is secretly a lesbian, because he is terrified of dicks. But anyways, because of all that akwardness I get from him physicaly, I've had to condition myself for that kind of crap by becoming a touchy person. Somehow all my fake touching has convinced people I'm secretly nice. This has become a rambly drunkpost, my bad.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't any notion of what ought to be "normal" and what ought to be "weird"

- but I can say I'm incredibly jealous of your being so open and willing to do such.

I couldn't possibly view it as anything but a positive trait. :slight_smile:

20. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I touch my friends in the typical bro'mantic sort of way. We hug, my friends pet each other in solice, and I rub Robert's butt a lot... Yup, completely normal. ^^ There used to be a lot of dry-humping until they found out that I am homosexual, then I sort of cut it off on my own, just out of respect. :icon_bigg

#20 Shadowsettler, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013