1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Share Bullying Stories Growing Up

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by forgetboutit, May 30, 2013.

1. forgetboutit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey everyone,

I thought we could all share some stories about other people's reaction to our "nontraditional" appearance growing up.

My story:
    I look and my personality is slightly "feminine", to some more than others. Some are surprised and sometimes don't believe that I'm bi, others see it a mile away. That's me right now, but as a child (my god I was feminine.) Growing up was quite a challenge. A LOT of bullying, EVERYWHERE I went. I rarely made a friend and didn't make a real friend till I was in 10th grade of High School. They used to call me "lil' woman", the F word, etc. At this point people are less frank and more mature about things so I hear these things less often. But they used to be an everyday, all the time thing.

What's your story?

2. tryhtwfr

When I was younger, I use to buy plastic babys from the market and think of it as my own, I use to get into bed with my dad and make him play as my baby - weird I know. I got out of this habit, but I use to hang around with my girl cousin rather than the boys because the conversations are more interesting. In year 5, I was the campest guy you could come across but everyone accepted that and I didn't even know I was camp back then. Going to Secondary school, out of the whole 350 people in my year - only 2 people would say that I act Gay but many people dismissed it and so did I. Moving schools in year 9 to an asian dominant school, I settled in very well and there were more students in my year and many people said I was the first ever newcomer to actually settle in fast. However, I kind of grew out of the camp antics so that year a few girls like 3 or 4 would have a crush on me throughout the year and I wouldn't "go for it" so rumours started I was gay. Funnily enough, these were started by my own friend. These rumours were supported by the constant wallposts by girls on my Facebook page so people started believing these rumours. I started eating a lot more but I don't think it was for comfort or depression but I just suddenly eating more. In year 9 and 10 I would get the "gay boy treatment". So, people would shout in a gay accent "gay boy" or "fuck me harder" when I walked by. It got so worse that even years below me knew the "gay kid" in year 11 despite my denial about it several times. I mentally broke down in year 9 and didn't go into school, I told my parents about the bullying but not about what they say, I wrote down what they would say to my Deputy Head because she asked and I wrote down the words 'Gay', 'homo, 'fag'. Nothing was done, now that I think about it, she and the staff are probably laughing behind my back. But yeah, end of year 10, I started hanging around with the boys more and they would say "gay boy, what you doing here?" And one thing that worked was laughing with them and fueling the jokes. Eventually, I found out that I like sports and being with boys and honestly I like spending my time with boys more than girls but I do have equal friends but suddenly the insults stopped and if anyone did drop an insult, they would be intimidated by me because I would get angry and threaten to beat the shit out of them. Few months into year 11, my gay Drama teacher did an assembly on LGBT and how they all have rights, the insults started again and there was so many people - it was unbelievable. It was as if I was back in year 9, few weeks went by and it stopped. Now at this minute, I'm on study leave from School focusing on exams and honestly I've been on a rollercoaster but this school has made me stronger in a way and honestly has made me realised that I do like boy stuff and I'm not feminine anymore so I don't know if that's a plus or minus.

3. Incognito10

Basically, I always knew I was different. Later, I find out that the specific difference is that I am gay. So all along, I was bullied in school for being gay. It made it very difficult to make friends. I made it worse by repressing it all. But, that was a different time and place in my life. Things are better now. The world is (getting) better now toward gay people.

4. The Dude

I got bullied a bit in elementary school and before that. My mom dressed me in turtlenecks and would slick my hair back and use a ton of hairspray everyday...I was a flamboyant little kid.

In sixth grade I put an end to it, put sneakers on, wore jeans and sports tshirts everyday and any bullying stopped. It really wasn't bullying but I was a teachers pet and people would snicker at me often and I was really sensitive back then. In high school I acted like a hard ass, I think as a defense against my real gay self...but no bullying in high school, I was liked or respected by most.

Was covering up my real self worth it not getting bullied? Honestly I think it was. High school could have been real tough if I didn't.

Also I forgot: one 8th grader ripped me everyday while I was on the 7th grade soccer team. He really dished it out and it felt like shit. I can't even imagine having that everyday for years for some people, from a group of people. I respect anyone who gets bullied.

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much got bullied from 6th grade til I graduated High School, no one knew I was gay but they knew I liked learning at that was enough.

Fat-Ed-Nerd was my nickname.

6. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Basiclly, throughout secondary school I was bullied, even though I was not out. My friends were mainly girls (although by year 10 it changed to mainly boys) and I kept myself to myself; didn't take an intrest in girls so to speak. Anyway, from the moment they saw me, most of the guys (a re-occuring theme on here I see) started to make accusations that I was gay. Naturally, I shrugged it off and denied everything. They started tormenting me and taking and breaking my stuff, avoiding me in the P.E changing rooms, evacuate the toilets whenever I went in there, call me everything under the sun and so on. I tended to ignore it, but I go close to breaking down a few times. I used to cry whenever I got home, and I became quite anti-social. I which I could have told people, but I went to a Catholic school, and all of the teachers were rather religious as one may expect. Some of them even condemned homosexuality as their 'personal beliefs' (I don't even think that's legal) but it didn't matter, the majority of the students agreeded with them anyway.

Moving on, when I got to college everything was fine, when there I decided to tell my old friends that I was gay, and it went bad. They basiclly told me to leave them alone and to never have contact with them again. Then on a geography trip at college, I came out to the guys in our dorm room, That didn't go well either. One of them even refused to sleep in there, and was never again in the same room as me on their own. The other guys tormented me for the rest of the trip, before I had a breakdown from the bullying. I never told anyone about that though, and the guys refused to apologise, and they still do to this day. It was even worse on the second trip, but I really wouldn't like to get into that one...

On a good note though, one of the guys is now my best friend, even though he still hasn't apologised (I shall never forgive him) I still get the occasional comment from people around the college though, and there is still a high level of ignorance among my friends, which is annoying. Don't get me started on my family and my brothers friends though. Urgh

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Elementary and middle school are tough for us intellectuals. At least the joke's on them in the end XD.

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only had one experience with bullying growing up (well, one that I remember, anyways).

I was 14, in my freshman year of high school. I always stood alone during the breaks, I didn't really have any friends to hang out with so I always just stood outside of my next class waiting for the bell to ring.

Well, I was waiting in an area where I was the only one present. At the time, at least. Then some assholes came up to me and told me to say some...things. For some stupid reason I obliged and said these things. I'm not going to say what these things were, just know that they were things you wouldn't expect to hear me say. At one point they asked me if I was gay. I told them no, I wasn't (I lied, I knew I was gay at the time). First, they believed me, but then the next day they asked me if I liked guys. I didn't answer, and they took that to mean that I did like guys. One of these assholes then started flirting with me. I backed away in disgust, so then they assumed that that meant I liked girls...so then they started making fun of me for liking girls.

Nearby, someone I was starting to become friends with, I'll refer to him as J, was hanging out with who I assumed was his girlfriend, I'll refer to her as L. I began walking towards them, hoping that these assholes would leave me alone if I were near other people. They followed me and asked me if I liked L, they asked me if I wanted to make out with her. I didn't answer, but then they took out a piece of paper, wrote a letter to L that basically said "I like you, I think you're sexy, I want to make out with you." They signed my name on it and gave the damn thing to J saying that I wrote it, gave it to them, and wanted them to give it to J to give to L. Luckily, J wasn't a complete idiot like these guys and saw through their plan. I took the letter from him and tore it up right then and there (I really shouldn't have done that...). Then the other guys began complementing me, saying that I looked manly and sexy tearing that thing up.

I don't think these guys really thought I was gay, I think they would have done that to anyone, but still, that doesn't make it any better.

But yeah, I was pretty lucky. This only occurred over the course of a few days and it was done after that. And that was as bad as it ever got for me.

9. FreeFlow9917

Couple i can tell you. First grade i was really annoying and i annoyed this so much that he took my head and held it under the water for a few seconds at the local pool and it took the life out of me and i felt as if i could breathe underwater.
    7th grade, i was caled gay because of my chapped upper lip due to my sensitivity to metal because i was in band, and a guy i knew had to wear a flannel shirt for a bet of 20 bucks, i told him to take it off because it was stupid and people took it the wrong wayband called me gay
    This year 9th grade, i called myself a tub of lard because i like to laugh at myself sometimes, but she took it the wrong way, and in bio i was looking at my phone to look at my music and she straight up yells at me across the room.

---------- Post added 30th May 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

A kid in first grade took my head and put it underwater and i felt like i could breathe underwater

10. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, and I may be the only one here, but I was hardly ever bullied. There were some homophobic slurs here and there but that was middle school mostly, and douches are the most immature in middle school.

I think something else that helped out was because I just happen to be good friends and out to our class president. People respect him and many people are friends with him. Since I'm not out to everyone if someone makes some homophobic slur just in general and I'm in the room he tells them to stop. I've got great friends.

There was an incident where some guys on my bus were making homophobic slurs and it was pissing me off, I sent an anonymous message down to our office and they got in trouble. Yeah, it just made the problem worse. Not for me, though, ironically.

11. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been a bit sensitive and shy and that made me easy to pick on throughout the years. Through school I was always the easy target and I am easily upset. It seems that there wasn't a day that went by during middle school that I didn't have someone pick on me, steal from me, or spread rumors. I've always been that kid that just tends to avoid people and try to get through the day. And out of that experience I've become thick-skinned and I don't bother easily now. It doesn't happen as often anymore, hardly at all in fact but when it does they really let loose.

Another moment I just remembered was when a boy thought that I'd be fun to tabletop me like six billion times with his idiot friends. After I was fed up I told him I'd sock him if he did it again. Of course, he did it again and when I got up he said he was ready to fight. Turns out his idea of a fair fight was having his two friends hold me while he repeatedly punched me. I think I've been in five fights my entire life, none ending well for me.

12. ezkill

I'm not a violent person, but I will only take so much. There used to be this 6 ft girl in the 7th grade who would always try to pick on me or rather, male me angry. Of course being who I am, I always insulted her back or called her nasty things I'm return. But of course that made the problem worse. One day this new kid came in and joined along when me and my science class were walking to a room with a projector in it. When we got to the door, and I opened it, he called me a faggot. I have never been called a faggot before at that point. I put all my body weight into it and shoved him into the corner of a cabinet. I shoved him again so hard he fell backwards onto the ground. Basically I ended up pinning him on the floor and punched him really hard. I never got called anything or teased after that. In fact when I was back from suspension some classmates were patting me on the back.'happy ending I guess.

13. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Got my ass kicked constantly in elementary school because I refused to fight back. Shy & "academically challenged" -They did not recognize learning differences back then-I was just called dumb. Got bullied at home too...Jr/Sr high I wasn't bullied just ignored like I didn't exist.
    So now I have a small group of friends I feel blessed to have because they love me the way I am and treat me with the love & respect I deserve.

14. Incognito10

I was an easy target: shy, soft spoken, wouldn't stand up for myself, perceived as gay.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I went to high school, made a few friends, it didn't matter that they weren't popular, but they were friends. I'm sure most others didn't care for me all that much. I could tell. We moved away. I went to a second high school. I was completely ignored. I went away to college. I knew more people and made a few more friends. I have a few friends that care about me now. I've become more reluctant to put myself out there.

It's great that you have that good group of friends. They make a lot of difference.