1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Gay in Ireland

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mysterious, May 30, 2013.

1. Mysterious

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys,

It's been a tough couple days and I thought I'd check in, more just to share some thoughts than anything else.

I guess I've been going through phases since accepting my sexuality. At times I'm very comfortable, feeling pretty open, pretty content. At times I'm terrified of what the future might hold (primarily telling parents, grandparents & wider group of friends).

It's weird that since I've been slowly coming out to people, and pondering coming out to others, I've been hyper-sensitive to people's views on homosexuality, comments people make and their general attitudes.

I have to admit I'm slight disappointed with most people's attitudes. I know it stems mostly from ignorance than from hate, or maybe just the oppression of Catholocism which still exists. However, people still regularly say thoughtless and insulting comments about the LGBT community. Most frequently, it's using people's sexuality as a defining characteristic (oh, you know, that lezzy up the road), using slurs (shut up you faggot) or just generally speaking about homosexuality in a tone of what can only be described as disgust (I don't mind them doing whatever they want, as long as they're not kissing in front of me like).

The unfairness of it all has been getting to me lately, I guess.

My thoughts :confused:

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It not just in Ireland, you get that in the UK as well & all around the world, I just look at it in the context of it could be worse, in some countries around the World, Gay people are arrested & put in prison, attacked & even killed for being Gay.

3. Amerigo

My government can only do so much, my family is who I fear the most.

4. Beware Of You

Ireland seems to be somewhat friendly towards LGBT people, well I live in Dublin so it may be different in some of the rural parts, and I have had some mild homophobia yelled at me before (Having Faggot yelled at me outside a gay bar) but apart from that nothing much, I honestly think it is safer than the UK. Northern Ireland is the exception both to Ireland and the UK with the wingnuts of the DUP having influence.

Ireland seems to be an alright place to be gay, alot of the Catholic influence is dying off, especially with the under 30s, over 70% want gay marriage and gay adoption will come as well. I think if things continue and since we don't have idiots like the EDL and the like over here Ireland may become one of the most Liberal places in Europe.