1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family depression

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FreeFlow9917, Jun 1, 2013.

1. FreeFlow9917

Me and my family are depressed, no one is happy except step-dad and he doesnt really understand me and how i behave. Ive been getting extremely depressed even on prozac, my mom and dad situate and ma always asks if they want to divorce but he says no. Weve been falling out lately with the expected arrival of my stepdads sun from europe and he lost his contracting job a few years back at the movie theatre. I really dont know how to be happy anymore, due to my journy to find myself and having to ask who i am in the mirror. He isnt making money and he doesnt really bond with us. Im thinking therapy, but mom, and i are thinking of moving back in with an old bf she still has feelings for. The ex is nice and gets me. Idk what to do

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I'm a little surprised that you have access to some of this information - that your mom still has feelings for an ex, for example, and that she's involving you in the decision on whether or not you two should move back in with him. Strictly speaking, that should be a decision she makes, not one that you do.

It might be a good idea to start deciding what you should have a say in and what you shouldn't - in other words, where you have the power to change things. You mention that you're experiencing depression while on prozac, which sounds like you're currently seeing a therapist/counselor. You *do* have the power to talk to them and say that the prozac isn't working out, so they can try coming at things from a different angle or refer you to a different therapist/counselor.

Your mom, on the other hand, is experiencing some relationship trouble, from the sound of it, in that she's not sure where her heart lies and is having trouble making decisions about that. You *don't* have the power to change that, however - this is something she needs to make up her own mind about. You can decide to talk to your mom's ex, and you can decide what you want to share with him yourself, but you can't help tell your mom what to think and feel as a parent - that's her job, not yours.

3. FreeFlow9917

Thank you, she tells me this, but the ex did a mistake, idk what tho, he lives in the past

---------- Post added 1st Jun 2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

She tells me she still haves feelings for her ex

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, I don't think it's your job to fix her relationships for her. You're sixteen, and even if you were 30, you're her child, not a friend, sibling, parent, counselor, etc. She's supposed to be taking care of you, not the other way around.

Take charge of your own situation and talk to your counselor about the prozac and wanting to try something else. This is going to be the best thing you can do.