1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transphobic Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SpitfireXSoarin, Jun 1, 2013.

1. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom snipped around my room and found a copy of "Rain" a book of a webcomic about a trans* girl going through life. She said it was weird and negatively influenced me and took it from my shelf. When I said it was happy and uplifting she added something along the lines of "what'll happen when the guy he likes find out he's a crossdressing man in a dress, who's it going to be happy for then". Well, she clearly hasn't read the story to know that Gavin and Rudy (the two boys interested in Rain) know that she is transgendered. It also further shows that she is unaccepting and doesn't ever care to try and understand transgendered people. I feel so awkward around her because I know her views. How can you indirectly call your child wrong or weird in front of them? I don't know how to get through to her, but if anyone has suggestions feel free to comment.

2. Fiddledeedee

Oh, I read Rain!

Hm. Could you sit down with her, give her a two-sentence explanation of being transgender (I'm sure you did so when she found out you were trans, though...), and then ask her to actually read the comic? It sounds like besides not knowing what being transgender means, she doesn't necessarily think of trans people as normal real people who can have valid relationships and be accepted ("I don't accept them, so nobody else could ever accept them") and so on; reading Rain might help her get past that. If she doesn't want to because it's weird, you could try pointing to how unrealistic a standard RomCom plot (featuring straight cisgender characters) is.

No idea if that would help, of course. I hope that whatever happens, you find some way to get through to her and she does come around.

3. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what to do. It seem like setting her down to talk might be the best thing but I've tried twice before to no avail. -Sigh-