1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking someone on a date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Trask, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Trask

So I'm in the process of coming out of the closet, but I've never asked a guy out (dated a total of two girls, neither ended well.) Anyway there was this guy in one of my classes that I worked on a few projects with and I kinda liked him but wasn't sure if he was gay, so I probed a little and thought he was straight. We became good buddies and always hang out and talk when we're at the same events and such.

Plot Twist! At a party last weekend he was giving off the strongest gay vibe, and one of his close friends mentioned a time he was grinding on guys shirtless at a party and he told me I was sexy :icon_redf and I admitted I'd had a crush on him when we had class together and he told me it was a little mutual.

So now there's this really cool guy who maybe likes me and who I like too (but I like this other guy who's in a relationship a lot more, weird other story) and I don't know what to do now! Should I text him and ask if he wants to get dinner? Should I wait until I see him at some event and do... something? I saw him briefly the next day and neither of us talked about the previous night or anything. Ugh, I just don't know how to do these things like a normal human.

tl;dr guy maybe likes me and I'm not sure how to take the next step.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, freaking out and overanalysing IS doing it like a normal human. Even if most people won't admit it :wink:

Still, I think you have a pretty good in-road. You already both went out of your way to mention there was definitely something more there than just platonic friendship. And it's no shame to just acknowledge that and go from there.

So, what you could ask him is something to the effect of: "So, seems we had a bit of a mutual crush on each other. Maybe that's a pretty good reason to hang out sometimes?"

It's casual without making any secret of you being interested. and I don't think it's coming on too strongly. If he says no, then take it as graceully as possible. If he says yes, then make sure you already have an idea of what you'd like to do and propose a time and place.