1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mums homophobia confuses the hell out of me!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sully, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Sully

Often my mum says thing that are homophobic and it confuses me SOOOOO much! Mainly because I don't think she has any problem with gay people.

The other day I was talking about my old job and she mentioned a really, really gross guy (who happens to be gay), she said something about him being ':***: in the head because he's gay, I don't want to know where else he's been :***:'...to which I just pushed the point that I don't think him being gay makes him in anyway a head case, she always seems to say these things in a joking voice like she really is just taking the piss. So there's that.

However, a few years ago a family friend came out (at age 21, I'm 19), and my mum was all 'we all love you no matter what, and it makes no difference who you love'.

Just tonight, there was something on TV about women's cancer research and she said something about how she hopes that men's cancer gets as much funding, because she wouldn't want it to depend on peoples sex, I was going to mention whether or not she thinks it should be affected by sexuality or race but I couldn't be bothered.

I'll try to remember some other occasions in which similar things have happened.

It just confuses me so much! Next time something marriage equality related comes into the media I'll definitely ask her what her take is.

I haven't really posed many questions, but I'd really appreciate any advice you can give :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes people just learn to say things this way, and don't realize that what they're saying could be really hurtful to the right (or wrong) person. It sounds like she's pretty clearly supportive of gay people, so the next time she says something, try just asking her why she put it that way.