1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating age range

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mikey34, Jun 4, 2013.

1. mikey34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im 35 and just started looking for mr.right. What should my dating age range be . Thinking 25 and up but part of me says 10 yrs apart means nothing in common. Any suggestions

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say more like 15-20 years apart yields nothing in common, other than that, it truly depends on the person.

3. robclem21

I think starting to come out to yourself is probably not the best time to be looking for "Mr. Right".

However, to address your question, I think 25 and up is okay depending on the person. Someone at 25 in school with a part time job is different than a 25 year old who is graduated and living in the working world. I think its possible though given the right person.

Again though, focus on being comfortable yourself and your sexuality or else your attempt to find someone else will be futile imo.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At your age, a 10 year age gap could be workable, but it will depend entirely on the other person. There are people 25 who have everything completely together and have been in a career for a number of years, and people who haven't the faintest clue what they want and are working at Taco Bell.

The one thing you probably do want to keep an eye on is that the younger people you date are mature and that your relationship is built on common experiences, and being in somewhat similar places in life; otherwise, you're likely to end up mentoring or caretaking, and that won't be healthy for either of you.

I would suggest that you cast a wide net and just see what comes of it. You might find someone a few years younger, a few years older, or somewhere in between. What really matters is that there's balance in the relationship as well as compatibility and commonality of interests and goals.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly zeroed in on this one. Being an adult, with some quirks and immature aspects nonetheless, I really like to hang around those who are within 5 years up or 5 years down of my age. There's just more in common. A coworker who befriended me and was in his late 20s made me slightly uncomfortable, even though his questions were slightly annoying and he was very mature for his age. I would have rather had a person to hang out with at work for coffee and lunch who was close to my age. Didn't happen, though. When I was a teen, the handsome 35 year old guy in a suit was a real eye-catcher, but I couldn't have seen hanging out with him. I'm sure there are some teen guys who like daddy-types, and I think it has nothing to do with how you related to your dad, and these guys looked completely different from him, anyway. But, today, I stick to people in my general age group.

6. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Whichever you feel comfortable with. No one can say really, it's what you feel comfortable and content with. I think it's fine if you're looking for an 80 year old. Anyway... I like someone two years younger, and I'm 13, and in school, that is considered paedophilic and very unusual, but I am fine with it and don't listen to them. I think it's fine as long as you love them, and they love you. :slight_smile: