1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my Mum secretly hopes that I am bisexual

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I came out as gay in September, my parents were initially supportive and accepting of it however recently Mum has been acting strange. She goes on about stuff I did at school when I was a kid (Like the time I sent a girl a Valentines Charity Rose thing at school when I was 13! YES 13) or how I claimed to have a crush for this girl Sophie (even though it was all a ploy to stop people thinking I was gay). She says "You know you think you are gay" to me, and seem to think that she knows me better than I know myself. She then asks if I have sex and if I am "safe"

It got to the point (she is a nurse) when I said "Mum, I am gay I know I am gay, I like guys, I have a boyfriend, I have sex with him, I love being with him" which kinda made this worse, now she keeps on going on about how I will never have a kid, how she wants me to have a family and so on.

I think she hopes that I am bi, or that being gay is a phase. I sometimes question if she is right, I do have an obsession with a couple of attractive girls like Hayley Williams (since I am a paramore fanboy) but its never really been sexual attraction, just kinda an admiration of her talent. I guess I could find a girl to mess around with but I dunno.I thought I had it sorted and now this, I didn't tell Mum about me going into Therapy or getting diagnosed with depression and suicide ideation since I have moved out for real.

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    You can't let your parents control your life. They brought you into the world and provided for you while you we're too young to fend for yourself. Beyond that, it is your life, not theirs.

3. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Tell your mother that you are who you are, and that you hate children.

4. JPC

JPC Guest

I had to make it perfectly clear to my mother when I came out to her. She, too, initially said things like "what if you meet a girl you like one day?" or "you do realise you won't be able to have children if you're gay". She seemed to think at the beginning that it was something I was choosing, but I set her straight and told her exactly how I felt about being gay, and that I know without doubt that I am and always will be and that she could either accept it or keep her nose out of my life, essentially. After a few more frank conversations with her about it, she's more accepting of it now than I am, in fact she's now the one encouraging me to come out to everyone and get on with my life.

I think you need to sit down and have a really honest conversation with her and lay everything out on the table and make it perfectly and abundantly clear that you are gay, and that is that. Don't life your life according to how other people want you to.

5. My cousin is gay. Him and his partner have been together for a long time. A few years ago they adopted 2 kids. A boy and a girl.

6. biggayguy

It sounds like this is more about her wanting grandchildren than about your orientation. She has probably dreamed about helping plan your bride's wedding. Then dreamt about babysitting her grandchildren. Those kind of dreams die since you're gay.

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But gay couples can have kids. It's more difficult, but not impossible.

If you want children, maybe point that out to your Mom and tell her some of the options you could use to have some, such as adoption or surrogacy or whatever.