1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents in denial

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Squabla, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Squabla

Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally came out to my parents one night after much deep thought about it, and all they did was brush that idea aside and told me I'd always be a boy and that I'm not a transgender. What do I do to convince them?

2. Squabla

Out Status:
    Some people
    ... and nothing.

3. EverythingWeBecome

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For some it's a bit of a shock,they can't understand it.Eventually though they just have to agree with it.You just have to wait and not let their denial get in your head.
    Of course if you want you can sit dow and talk with them,ask them why they feel that way, maybe tell them that for you it doesn't have to change your relationship with them.I believe it could help.
    I want to be honest with you though.Some of them just won't get it in their heads,they might always think you are wrong even if you get a sex change and marry a guy.But personally,if my parents never accepted that then I wouldn't even bother trying anymore, I would just go on with my life.

It's your life, it doesn't matter what everybody else is thinking about it.So just live the way you want to.

4. Squabla

Out Status:
    Some people
    That is probably one of the best pieces of advice I've ever recieved. Thank you. I should stop fretting about them.

5. Aldrick

First of all, let me say that you're incredibly brave to come out to your parents at such a young age. I'm very proud of you.

A lesson I'm struggling to learn as an adult applies here to your situation. Hopefully, you can begin to learn it at a younger age than I did, so it'll help you in the coming trials you'll face as you grow into an adult.

The lesson is this: We often try and change ourselves to fit the expectations of others, to try and please them, and make them happy - often at the expense of our own happiness. If or when they react negatively toward us, we immediately take ownership of their problem and find fault in ourselves. It's easy to become trapped in the thinking, "If only I had done this, this, and that differently this would have never happened."

This is completely the wrong way to view the world. We cannot control what other people think and feel about us. If other people have a problem with who and what we are, then that problem belongs to them - not us. We shouldn't take ownership of it. It's not our job to change ourselves in order to make other people comfortable and happy.

Those who truly love us will love us for who we are - they will accept us as our authentic selves. Those that won't love us, won't, and trying to conform to their expectations or desires always comes at the expense of our authenticity and happiness.

This is true for your parents as well as anyone else who will enter your life. They have certain expectations and dreams for you, and by being who you truly are you are going against what they expected and dreamed for you. That's their problem; not yours. It's not your fault; it's theirs. It is their responsibility to develop new expectations and dreams, ones that conform to your true authenticity.

You face special challenges because you're under age, and this unfortunately gives your parents a great deal of legal influence over you. It's not your job or responsibility to convince them of anything, but it is important to protect yourself from any negativity you could experience from them.

My advice would be to seek out a professional therapist in your area that specializes in LGBT issues. By seeing such an individual you'll have some measure of mental and emotional protection, as well as someone to give you advice on the situations you'll face. You'll also have someone who can sit down with your parents and discuss the issues you face with them, and THEY can be responsible for convincing and explaining things to your parents.

You will need to begin seeing a therapist anyway to begin your transition. So this is a proactive step in that direction as well.