1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a parent that you've never thought to come out to?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sully, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Sully

Whenever I think of coming out to family, it's always my mum that I imagine coming out to. Not once have I even considered my dad in this equation. Although we're really close, and I don't think he'll care if I'm gay, he just doesn't register as someone to come out to.

If anyone can shed some light on why (to be honest I haven't even given it much thought) I'd really appreciate it!

What I'm more interested in though is if anyone else has had this problem, specifically immediate family based, and how you got around/are getting around it?

2. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel kinda the same. I'm a lot closer to my mom, and can imagine what she would say, but my stepdad (who I also live with), though I doubt he would care, I can't imagine what he would actually say.

3. 2112

My dad has already told me that he would be ok with it, so I'm going to tell him first. I know my mom wouldn't hate me for it, but I don't think she'd be happy about it. And I really don't feel like I can tell my sister yet.

4. Chase

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My sister and grandparents. Basically anyone except friends and some family.

My grandparents make fun of the LGBT community all the time, so there's no question why I shouldn't tell them. I WOULD tell my sister but she has to go on and tell all her friends and everyone she knows. It's really embarrassing.

5. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think of telling my mom and definitely not my dad cus I think my dad would disown me

6. Night Rain

7. evora

My parents. I don't love them enough to care about what they think. It's my mother's parents and sister I want to tell I'm gay. They are the hardest one to come out to because I love them the most.

8. EverythingWeBecome

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My father and to be honest I don't think I'll tell him anytime soon,it just doesn't matter.
    I've just come out to my sister and mother.Other than them I'm pretty sure I won't be telling anyone else in my family.If they were to know then they would have already found out themselves and since their attitude towards me is still good then I don't bother going into the whole conversation.

9. Snowball

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My situation was just like yours, and I have not told my parents I´m gay. To me, it was always my mum that I could ever imagine coming out to, my dad never, although I loved them as my parents.

As a teenager I was very independent and proud, and thought that my love life is not my parents business. They never asked to me anything, never suspected either. There were big problems in my family: alcoholism, violence, intimidation and lying.

Later, when I was an adult and they were old, I thought It´s not necessary to tell anymore. My mum had a brain injury and my dad had cancer, I took care of them. I have not had a girlfriend when I moved back home to be there when they were on their last legs. They have had so many problems and difficulties in their life, the last days should be as good as possible. They never knew.

Sorry my bad english :icon_redf

10. FreeFlow9917

Dad and step-dad, i just don't see that happening soon

11. JPC

JPC Guest

I told my mam months ago, but I'm not coming out to my dad, he can find out when everyone else does. As I think Chely Wright once said "Why dial up pain?"

12. tryhtwfr

Dad, Brothers, Mother, Grandparents, Aunties, Uncles, Cousins and Family Friends.

13. At first, I thought I'd never come out to anyone!

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neither.

I don't have a relationship whatsoever with my mom, and my sexuality isn't something I would discuss with my dad.

15. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

both. i'm scared of what they will think and how they react..