1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love with a "maybe" closeted guy, please help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChristianHipstr, Jun 7, 2013.

1. ChristianHipstr

A list of many "Is" and "Isn't" has led me and several third party people (one of which is LGBT) to believe that my crush is curious or closeted... It's pretty much a 50/50 chance is in the closet. I really like him and if you read one of my previous post you can see all the things that make us think he is bi or gay. I just really need help on what to do now. We had several classes together in school and talked daily. I do have his cell phone number, but I haven't used it for much besides projects during school (he's not one to text or call much anyways). Now that schools over, basically my bridge has been broken... We're both 16 and just finished our sophomore (10th grade) year in high school. I honestly don't know if we signed up for many of the same classes, but I don know I'm in ALL AP and he probably will only take 1 or 2, so my faith in seeing him often next year is low... I really want him to know how I feel, but I'm still closeted to my family, majority of my friends, and public, so I'm afraid if I tell him I have feelings for him, he'll say no and then proceed to let my secret out. He's not the kind of person to do that, but I don't know if he's ever had a guy express feeling for him either. How do I go about telling him? I won't go on always wondering the infamous "what if"... I won't mind coming out of the closet to friends, family, and society as long as I know there's a chance I'll get a yes..

I know this is a cluster of confusing thoughts, but I just can't organize them. I'm too confused about this myself to do that... Please help me with this, any answer is appreciated but please don't say "get over him", I already stated i won't live with that "what if"...

2. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I'd let him know about you with subtle hints and such then say stuff to him if your good friends say you can tell me anything you know hope that helps

3. ChristianHipstr

I have been, and he returns them most of the time. I'll always make an effort to sit by him or stand by him, and he always plays around like bumping me, touching me, or one time even put his arm around me.
    Usually when I text him, he responds with short responses. I do know though, that just getting a response back is good for his standards and he doesn't text much. We don't have many mutual friends and he doesn't have any social networking accounts, so idk how to talk to him and drop any more of these hints...

4. LD579

Sometimes you just have to take risks. Personally, I would have never risked coming out to someone that I was attracted to. It's up to you whether you want to risk it... Sometimes people just cannot take hints. I hinted to friends of mine that I liked guys in many ways but they never understood. They never 'suspected' me of being gay, either.

Coming out is always risky, practically, because you never know how someone will respond, and because initial reactions can be surprising. With that said, you may want to come out to someone who is 'less risky'. Do you have any close friends who are supportive of LGBT+ issues and people, and who you think you could trust to stay quiet? That person may be a better person to come out to, first.

I suggest this because if you got an averse reaction from this guy that you like, you may be crushed and having readily available support from someone who knows you and understands you somewhat is better than not having that available.

It is totally up to you, and I wish you luck =)

5. ChristianHipstr

I'm out to my sister and 3 friends. Idc if my school knew, but my uncle attends the same school and he would definitely hear of it if this guy told people. What method of telling him, in your opinion, should I go with? Text is probably only available one now, but I could wait for next school year and tell him face to face?

6. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Idea it till school year that way it's more personal

7. LD579

Ah, sorry about that. I must be having a bad memory day.

Well, I think you should consider this person and his reaction, and subsequently what you'd be most comfortable with, while not putting him on-the-spot. That could mean that you'd email, or facebook message, or text him. If you like, you could also phone him or tell him in person, which, I suppose, would happen during the school year.

It's hard to say without knowing you better, and without knowing this guy, and without knowing your relationship to each other. I'm sure whichever method you choose will be fine, though =)

8. ChristianHipstr

I know this will sound like I'm not please with all the help you've already given, but trust me I really am lol. I just was wondering what would you say in this situation? In the event you were where I am and you texted this guy, what would you say to him? honestly, I'm just looking for a second opinion/idea and reassurance on this :confused:

9. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I'd start a conversation and somewhere I'd be like oh each I got something to say hey says what then say I'm bi wait for reply go from there

10. LD579

It depends. I see two possible ways you could address it, and perhaps something in between, which would be perhaps 'the best of both worlds', and by worlds, I mean options.

1. Serious~

"I have something to tell you. It's something I have to get off my chest. I'm bisexual."

From that, see how he responds. And then you could say, "There's something else. I have a big crush on you, and I really like you."

Love is too big a word at this point to use, and it could scare people away, regardless of whether they would like you or not, or do like you or not.

2. Light-hearted/dismissive/not-a-big-deal~

"Hey, I know this is random, but I want to tell you something. I feel like I can trust you. I'm bisexual."

He replies, and then you say, "I also have had a crush on you... I still want to be your friend no matter what, but I just wanted to let you know, 'cause it's hard for me to keep something like that from someone I like. Anyways, I don't want things to be different between us."

As you can see, both options are kind of similar, due to me sucking. You can tailor those to what you want, or as you see fit, but they're just suggestions. Ultimately, it's up to you, and, of course, you would know best what would work for you, in theory =)

11. ChristianHipstr

Hey, those were awesome! I was thinking of doing one in a "joking" manor, but I had it to where he might not even take me serious. Both those are perfect. If and when I decide to do it, I think ill use the second one as a guideline. Thank you so much for the help! (*hug*)

Also, i only said "in love" because it sounds a lot better than "liking a lot" or "in like" lol. And all "liking" is, is a primitive feeling of love, so it works :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2013 at 08:22 PM ----------

Yeah, that's what I had planned originally. I think these posts have really helped me make up what I'm going to say. Thanks for your help! (*hug*)

12. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your welcome for any advice and thanks for the hug here's one back(*hug*)

13. merlin

merlin Guest

This is a tricky situation (I have not read yet the previous postings, sorry), because I am dealing with a very similar situation. My crush is a person who is very open to being around gay men, and when I finally decided to come out to him, he said he understood, but was not sexually interested in men. He however, has no objections to me sending him text messages that are very clear about my feelings for him and sometimes (rarely) he even sends a little hart message back. Does that mean he is closeted? Not necessarily. He could be curious or just very open minded and comfortable with his own (straight) sexuality, not in fear of being "discovered". To be honest, I really don't know, but for now I have to accept his answer of being not interested in men and keep my hopes in check. In your situation, things may be different and perhaps your friend has provided you stronger less ambiguous cues about his interest in you. I have been advised by friends I talked to (some who are gay) that if in doubt, assume the person is not gay and start with that. I would approach him carefully and see how he responds to playful flirts, jokes, and the occasional physical touch (hands). I found the most distinctive features that were missing in my crush were that he never attempted to touch me and never in some obvious way was checking me out. If your friend does return the touches (as you seem to indicate) and you catch him (even now and then) eying you (above or below the belt), there is hope :icon_wink. Take it from there... Just a few cents of my personal experience. Hope it helps.:icon_bigg

14. TheAMan

I would drop a few subtle hints here and there and see how he reacts. That's what I do with guys I like or want to come out to. I start off with low risk things such as a pat on the shoulder and minor compliments. Also if you have a chance to have a talk about LGBT issues please take advantage of it.