1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Scout experiences?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GayTeen, Jun 8, 2013.

1. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am currently in Boy Scouts, in a fairly liberal troop. I am planning to come out to them during summer camp this year since the BSA has recently struck down their ban on gay members. Does anyone else have experiences with being gay and a Scout? I'd love to hear what happened with you. As far as I know, I will be the first gay member of our troop since it stated over ten years ago! I think that my friends will be generally accepting of me.

*I moved this thread from 'Chit Chat' since it had to do with my friends.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt you're actually the first poof in your troop... but you'll be the first out one! That's still an important thing, and I think it will help your troop as well. You might be surprised... once one person comes out, often times, others will find the courage to come out as well.

3. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're absolutely correct. I will be the first OUT one. That's what I first meant. I am hoping though, that I'll inspire others to do it too.

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say do it. Maybe test the waters with one or a couple before that since I know several boy scouts who despise that openly gay members are allowed in. Make sure you'd be comfortable since you'll be at a camp and not at school or somewhere neutral.

5. partmin123

partmin123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Do it. If your troop is liberal, that means they are accepting. And they recently lifted the ban on gay members. It was about celibacy

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in scouts, and we had openly gay members in the troop three years ago before the ban was even considered for removal haha. Three that I know of besides me. Very liberal troop/town though.

But, if you wanna come out, go for it. I can't see anything extremely positive coming from it, nor anything too terribly negative. It shouldn't be a big deal, but some idiots might treat you differently for it. In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble to come out to the ENTIRE troop - just your friends in it.

7. 2112

The city I live in is mostly liberal, but there are still a few homophobes who think it's fun to try to make a gay guy's life hell. I don't think it would be a good idea to come out to all of them until you know how accepting they will be, unless you really don't care what they think.